Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How are the defensive bonuses calculated for units on bunker tiles that are also situated on a hill tile? Scenario 5 (Omaha Beach) has plenty of these. Do you add the bunker and hill bonuses together? This leads to some almost indestructible positions. I'm starting to think that the 'best' bonus is taken instead, however if this is so then it weakens the Axis position on the Point in Scenario 4 even further. Is this addressed in a FAQ (or even in the rules and I've missed it?).

I realise that sandbags on a hill do not increase the bonus, however the rules explicitly say that the sandbag bonus only applies if there are no terrain bonuses. It doesn't say the same thing for bunkers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I recall it saying (I don't remember where, don't have the rules around me.) that the rules state that you use only the best defense in a hex, that they do not add up. Can someone confirm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Riedy
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right. Defense doesn't stack. Use the bunker deductions, since they're greater than the hill deductions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
we had the same question. But we found it in the rules somewhere (cant remember where). You only take the best defensive terrain. It is not cumulative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I had hoped this would be the case, otherwise those hill-top bunkers are untouchable by armor on the beach. Perhaps now the Allies have a better chance landing at Omaha! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
meowsqueak wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I had hoped this would be the case, otherwise those hill-top bunkers are untouchable by armor on the beach. Perhaps now the Allies have a better chance landing at Omaha!

indeed, the fact that you beat me 6-0 last night will now hopefully never happen again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Peasemold
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
Peasemoldia
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

The reason that this question (and similar ones) keeps coming up is that the answer is counter-intuitive! One would expect a bunker on a hill to be a better defensive position than a bunker on the flat. I realise that Memoir'44 is not supposed to be an accurate simulation and that the number and the position of bunkers in scenarios has been decided with this in mind. If you want to change the rules, the scenarios will need adjustment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is a bit counter-intuitive. I'm more interested in knowing the right rules, rather than the 'feels best' rules.

I played the Omaha Beach scenario again with my wife, taking this discussion into account, and it worked out a bit easier for the Allies and a whole lot more interesting all round.

In fact, she won 11-7. Fun scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Fromme
Germany
Freising
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh, now that is why the Allies were butchered on the beach four times in a row when we tried ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule is found on p. 16; it is the first paragraph under "Fixed Obstacles".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.