OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Zombie lovers,

I used to own this game, definitely enjoyed it but traded it on a spur of the moment acquisition. I do plan on purchasing it again down the road, but have some questions after seeing how much this game has expanded already.

1. Has the base game been updated or is it still printing and shipping with the same rules/missions? Last I checked, some of the missions were broken and the rules had been changed. Just wondering.

2. Is the second season a standalone game, expansion playable with season 1, or both?

3. I notice there is a MASSIVE amount of kickstarter survivors. Do these go with Season 1, Season 2, or both?

4. What the heck is a zombivor?

5. Will there eventually be a big box purchase that has EVERYTHING in it?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Edwards
United States
Union
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jacobugath wrote:
1. Has the base game been updated or is it still printing and shipping with the same rules/missions? Last I checked, some of the missions were broken and the rules had been changed. Just wondering.

From my understanding, an updated version will be shipping this fall around the same time that Season 2 is available. The updated/revised rules and the missions are available online as PDF downloads.

jacobugath wrote:
2. Is the second season a standalone game, expansion playable with season 1, or both?

Prison Outbreak is standalone and compatible with Season 1. Toxic City Mall is an expansion and requires at least one or the other.

jacobugath wrote:
3. I notice there is a MASSIVE amount of kickstarter survivors. Do these go with Season 1, Season 2, or both?

They work with both.

jacobugath wrote:

A Zombivor is a Survivor in the process of being turned into a Zombie. Basically, they are optional rules to allow you to continue playing after your survivor has taken the normal two wounds that would have previously killed them. The model is replaced with the Zombivor version, they have a slightly tweaked profile and rules. The full rules are available on Guillotine Games facebook page.

jacobugath wrote:

Probably not. Though, a package deal was offered as part of the Season 2 Kickstarter to get you Season 1, Toxic City Mall, and Prison Outbreak along with any stretch goals as one package.

From my understanding, Season 3 is already being worked on and assuming a Kickstarter for this will hit early next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if they have updated the rules with current printings.

Season 2: Prison Outbreak is a standalone that can be used as an expansion to Season 1. Toxic City Mall is an expansion only, and can be used with either Season 1 or 2.

The Kickstarter survivors were sold with either Season 1 or 2 (each season had their own exclusives) , but can be used interchangeably with both.

Survivor cards now have a backside with their Zombie version. When a survivor dies from a zombie, it becomes a zombie itself but still retains a bit of their humanity and helps the humans, hence becoming a Zombivor. A Zombivor has some new skills not available to the living, and can now take 5 wounds before dying.

The Kickstarter exclusives will never be sold again, and there is probably already way too much else to sell in one huge box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
jacobugath wrote:
Hey Zombie lovers,

I used to own this game, definitely enjoyed it but traded it on a spur of the moment acquisition. I do plan on purchasing it again down the road, but have some questions after seeing how much this game has expanded already.

Thanks!

1. I believe the current print run is still the old rule set. The only broken scenarios were 2 and 7 and the updated versions are available on the Guillotine website. There was some talk of updating the v1 rulebook but I'm not sure if/when that's going to make it into the Season 1 sets.

2 Both, from what GG tell us it can be played alone, with the expansion and also with the base game, although we've not seen any scenarios yet.

3. Both. Also note that, although the exclusive survivors from the KS campaign won't be available at retail, the artist boxes will be, and it looks like they have more than the six artist sculpts planned so there should be plenty of survivors for everyone

4. Good question. A zombie that somehow has retained some of his previous personality is probably the best way to think of it. Maybe there's something special about the survivors which is why they've survived so long, some resistance to the plague that stops them being wholly consumed by it? Hard to tell, in gameplay terms just think of them as slow-moving, badass tanks.

5. Not heard anything to this effect but it would have to be a huge box, especially as a Season 3 seems very likely, so I doubt it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Also known as
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll answer these as best I can.

A: I believe it's still shipping with the old rule book, but updated one with fixed versions of the two broken missions are on their website.

A: Prison Outbreak is considered a standalone game and the new Toxic City Mall needs either PO or the base game to be used. I'm sure you could mix PO and the base game tiles to make bigger maps.

A: Both.

A: Season 2 is introducing zombivors. Basically if a character dies, they can come back as a 'good' zombie and still be controlled by the player, albiet with slightly different skills.

A: Doubtful, as that'd be one hell of a big and heavy box!

Edit: I need to type faster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Restock will deliver next month, may have new rules, probably not.
2.prison outbreak is standalone. Toxic city mall must have base game or prison outbreak to work.
3. Survivors work the same with both games.
4.after a survivor dies he can come back as a zombivor at the start of a players phase and now can take up to 5 wounds and has slightly different skills.
5.big box purchase? Doubt it they would have to charge like $200-$300 to cover production cost. I don't think anyone would buy that!

It wouldn't surprise me if they combined season one and TCM into one box at some time in the future though. But that probably won't happen anytime soon.

Edit:Quadruple ninja, man I type slow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for all these great answers. I know the rulebook thing is picky, but it drives me absolutely BONKERS to have a game with an outdated rule book. I really hope that GG will start sending out Zombicide w/ the new rules/missions. I enjoyed the game quite a bit. It was the best I found for scratching the Zombie itch. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out for the next kickstarter and see what all that will include. Happy Zombie Hunting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ambroz Podkoritnik
Slovenia
Velenje
Europe
flag msg tools
mb
jacobugath wrote:

I have received Zombicide 1 week ago. The rulebook is updated as mission #2 and #7 are revised.
Comparing mission PDF from website only graphics layout is little different but text in objectives and special rules are the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have received Zombicide 1 week ago. The rulebook is updated as mission #2 and #7 are revised.
Comparing mission PDF from website only graphics layout is little different but text in objectives and special rules are the same.

Thanks! I'm assuming this is the English version of the game. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the french version a couple of months ago and it also came with the updated rulebook.
so you can rest assured that each new printrun of zombicide will come with the latest/updated version of the rules.
This is standard procedure in the boardgame industry as far as I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting all of the different takes on what a Zombivore is. I guess the rules don't really explain it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Edwards
United States
Union
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nevin wrote:
Interesting all of the different takes on what a Zombivore is. I guess the rules don't really explain it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
modern life
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine's just turned up and at the back of the rulebook it says "Second Reprint: March 2013".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The major point in the new rule book is clarifying some rules ambiguities with better illustrations. Which were mostly minor.
And at least one rule abuse...the firing of Shotgun(s) that required
a reload and trading them off to the next survivor to circumvent having
to reload to use it.

There were no major or any rules changes... so the original rules are not broken.

They did revise a couple of missions(3?) that [a majority? of] people felt were broken.

~Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombivor's aren't necessarily used when survivors die, that's if you use the resurrection rules. You can just use them from the beginning of the game. The post from Mark is the most helpful in explaining this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.