Subject: What a fun little (5500 year old) filler game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Rhodes
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
I have started playing this on Board Game Arena recently. From the description it sounds practically like a luckfest on the order of Chutes and Ladders, or Candy Land. And sure enough, you do have to sit through long strings of 1- 4- and 5-rolls, (which give the player an extra turn), during which you or your opponent gets free reign over the board for several turns in a row. And there are probably more forced moves than unforced ones.

But then, in the middle of all the luck and fate, an opportunity arises. And the skill--and the fun--lies in spotting these little opportunities and knowing how to make the best of them.

Probably in at least half the games the luck ends up overwhelmingly favoring one opponent or the other. But it's quick enough--you can play best three out of five, or even more, without it taking too long. And even when luck obviously favored your opponent, you still had plenty of chances to spot opportunities and make the best you could of them. A focus on the fun of gameplay (as opposed to the reward of winning) really helps here.

Add in the bonus that you're playing a game that's well over 5000 years old, and the experience seems worthwhile, and repeatably so, all around. I will definitely be buying a set to play with my kids, for sure. I don't know any adults personally who'd play this game--but that's what Board Game Arena is for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I just won this in an auction a couple of weeks ago and like the idea of playing something older than me. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one adult that greatly enjoys playing Senet. I had a custom set made from wood and faience tiles, just like the originals. I now know why the ancient Egyptians were buried with a copy of their favorite game; I intend to do the same!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.