Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules of the game say that when the Daimyo is killed, its replacement comes from the regular army units. Just pull off any other unit, and the Daimyo magically appears. (Instant promotion!)

There are certain situations where an army is whittled down to a single, remaining Daimyo. If during this time a Ninja attack on the Daimyo is successful, is the Army eliminated? In the online computer game, if you Ninja attack a single Daimyo army it isn't eliminated but it is "disrupted."

Do the Ikusa rules address this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a (dumb) rule change that appeared with the Samurai Swords edition. Shogun does not promote from the ranks.

We play with the Shogun rule because a lowly farmer spearman becoming a Daimyo is just silly.

Ikusa has a few rule changes. Not sure if this is one of them. Don't have the rules handy but will check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bartlett
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benjamin Maggi wrote:
The rules of the game say that when the Daimyo is killed, its replacement comes from the regular army units. Just pull off any other unit, and the Daimyo magically appears. (Instant promotion!)

There are certain situations where an army is whittled down to a single, remaining Daimyo. If during this time a Ninja attack on the Daimyo is successful, is the Army eliminated? In the online computer game, if you Ninja attack a single Daimyo army it isn't eliminated but it is "disrupted."

Do the Ikusa rules address this?

I admit to not knowing this answer for certain, but we have always (like, for 20+ years) played that the assassination of a Daimyo on an otherwise empty army card eliminates the army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just looked it up. (Ikusa rules)
If there are no units left...then no new Daimyo. Bye bye Army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Momoshiro wrote:
This is a (dumb) rule change that appeared with the Samurai Swords edition. Shogun does not promote from the ranks.

We play with the Shogun rule because a lowly farmer spearman becoming a Daimyo is just silly.

Ikusa has a few rule changes. Not sure if this is one of them. Don't have the rules handy but will check.

Forgive my confusion.. but what do you do when a daimyo is assassinated then?
What is the Shogun ruling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are wondering about any other Ikusa rules and don't own Ikusa, go here:
http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/Ikusa_Rulebook.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Momoshiro wrote:
If you are wondering about any other Ikusa rules and don't own Ikusa, go here:
http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/Ikusa_Rulebook.pdf

I own shogun. I already have the pdf of the rules. I was just asking because I thought the promotion rule was from shogun. So I must has misread it or read it somewhere else. Hence why I asked you the question that I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bartlett
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Momoshiro wrote:

Forgive my confusion.. but what do you do when a daimyo is assassinated then?
What is the Shogun ruling?

You just get a new one at the beginning (I believe) of the next turn. Thematically, it just means that the new Daimyo was a single soldier somewhere else in the corps who exhibited great honor and leadership potential.

You know.

A fantastic bullshitter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Made it home where the rules are.

Shogun rule is the same but there is no promoting.
If there is at least one unit left, you get a new Daimyo but you don't lose a unit.

I guess they send for the Daimyo's nephew from Osaka.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Momoshiro wrote:
Shogun rule is the same but there is no promoting.
If there is at least one unit left, you get a new Daimyo but you don't lose a unit.

Per the Shogun rules: so if after the end of a battle the Daiymo is dead but a lone spearman survives, can a player then attempt a Ninja attack on the Spearman to eliminate the army? Perhaps that is why the online game doesn't let you eliminate Daiymo only armies via the Ninja.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, this situation could not happen.

First, the Daimyo has to be the last casualty lost in a battle by the rules.

Second, the Ninja can ONLY assassinate a Daimyo unit. Other types of units cannot be the Ninja's target. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me amend my above statement to make it clearer:

The Shogun rule is the same as Samurai Swords and Ikusa rule with the exception of there is no promoting a non Daimyo unit to the rank of Daimyo, thus losing a Spearman, Swordsman Bowman or Gunner from your Army Card.

In the Shogun edition, if there is at least one non Daimyo unit left on your Army Card after the successful assassination of your Daimyo, you get a new Daimyo but you don't lose a non Daimyo unit due to promoting that unit to the new Daimyo. You just get a new (inexperienced) Daimyo next round.

The Samurai Swords and Ikusa editions do compel you to lose a non Daimyo unit to promoting or exchanging for you to receive a new (inexperienced) Daimyo.

Some players, like me, always found the Samurai Sword rule change a little dumb. Spearman to Daimyo. Ha! Plus, you lose a unit where you didn't before.

In the end, play the rule you are comfortable with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.