New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
hempin wrote:
Hello, my name is DeShawn and I have created my first board game and desperately need my instructions proof read,corrected and simplified, but I don't know where to find "a manual writer/editor." I have gone to sites such as LinkedIn, but could not find trustworthy and or reliable help. I also have gone through the post here that list most of the needed info for almost everything pertaining to creating board games and more except finding a manual writer/editor unless it is something I easily looked over. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. Thank you dearly.

This is a good place to post for that, simply as a "Writer/Editor wanted," but you'll need to specify what you're looking for exactly and what the pay scale is if you're going to expect any quality responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my tipp: pay attention: if you post your rules for the public, or even if you give them anybody exclusively, somebody (or HE/SHE) might steal them and publish the game himself (herself) without paying you!!! Just for advice... take care!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Hostetler
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hello DeShawn. You're probably in the right place.

As it happens there was a recent thread that you might want to check out at http://boardgamegeek.com/article/12909646#12909646

Whether you hire a technical writer or find someone that will work with you for the fun of it depends of course on the scope and budget of your project.

I've written and edited about 10 video game manuals and recently did a rulebook edit job for Adam Trzonkowski on this site (who gives a positive reference). I'd be happy to look at your current draft and give you a quote on an edit / rewrite job. My rate is $30/hr, you can send materials to todhostetler@gmail.com. Confidentiality guaranteed.

Regardless, the quote you get from anyone is going to greatly depend on the state of the current draft. If you go with a pro, you should expect them to be able to a) give examples of their work, b) give you an accurate estimate up front, and c) be able to 'scale the job down' according to your budget. For instance if I were to judge your rules to need about $120 in work and you said "Can you give me the $60 version" the answer should be Yes. Yes I can.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plenty Fillmore
msg tools
smithlucas wrote:
my tipp: pay attention: if you post your rules for the public, or even if you give them anybody exclusively, somebody (or HE/SHE) might steal them and publish the game himself (herself) without paying you!!! Just for advice... take care!!

I tried to prevent that by trademarking first. Kind of the feeling I got from LinkedIn which is what was most uncomfortable. Thanks bud.

I am looking to have 8 pages (single sided) proof read, corrected and simplified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
hempin wrote:

I am looking to have 8 pages (single sided) proof read, corrected and simplified.

You're probably better off providing a word count... "pages" in rules world could mean different things to people.

Also, FWIW (and not to make you nervous), trademarking is only going to affect what amounts to proper noun usage. So, for example, if I have a mechanic called "Bigglebottom," that name is trademarked... the mechanic it represents is not.

And there's really nothing preventing a company from essentially taking a published game, changing the theme and proper nouns, changing mechanics slightly, and making their own version.. There's plenty of examples to give of games that would basically not exist if it wasn't for a predecessor:

Pandemic -> Defenders of the Realm
Wings of War -> X-Wing
Dominion -> Thunderstone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plenty Fillmore
msg tools
Thank you to everyone who submitted some type of information, but I believe I have found someone to proof read and correct my instructions. I am hoping to return to BGG by early next week with my instructions and game to share with this wonderful community. Now I just need to know how to end this post so I am not wasting anyones time. [whistleNoob on the loosewhistle]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
Windham
Connecticut
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
hempin wrote:
Hello, my name is DeShawn and I have created my first board game and desperately need my instructions proof read,corrected and simplified, but I don't know where to find "a manual writer/editor." I have gone to sites such as LinkedIn, but could not find trustworthy and or reliable help. I also have gone through the post here that list most of the needed info for almost everything pertaining to creating board games and more except finding a manual writer/editor unless it is something I easily looked over. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. Thank you dearly.

*First* board game? So this wasn't your first? http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/908724/new-gta-style-boardga...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plenty Fillmore
msg tools
MOTHDevil wrote:
hempin wrote:

You're probably better off providing a word count... "pages" in rules world could mean different things to people.

Also, FWIW (and not to make you nervous), trademarking is only going to affect what amounts to proper noun usage. So, for example, if I have a mechanic called "Bigglebottom," that name is trademarked... the mechanic it represents is not.

And there's really nothing preventing a company from essentially taking a published game, changing the theme and proper nouns, changing mechanics slightly, and making their own version.. There's plenty of examples to give of games that would basically not exist if it wasn't for a predecessor:

Pandemic -> Defenders of the Realm
Wings of War -> X-Wing
Dominion -> Thunderstone

Very true and thank you. I learned about the mechanics not being included in trademarks during my study of board games. Although most things in the future are repeat of the past, I strongly agree on the fact that someone can change a couple of things and make a game similar. I guess it's a matter of having the money to defend your product in court like Monopoly and Ghettopoly. Seems I have some more homework now to compare these titles. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plenty Fillmore
msg tools
Stexe wrote:
hempin wrote:

*First* board game? So this wasn't your first? http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/908724/new-gta-style-boardga...

Same game if you are wondering. That's why I said, "My First".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
Windham
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hempin wrote:
Stexe wrote:
hempin wrote:

I hope you made some massive, massive improvements over your old game. Before it was just a roll and move clone...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plenty Fillmore
msg tools
Stexe wrote:
hempin wrote:
Stexe wrote:
hempin wrote:

I hope you made some massive, massive improvements over your old game. Before it was just a roll and move clone...

You never really knew the concept of the old game nor have you asked about it. To ask a question is to find an answer. To suggest without knowing is just as entertaining as your attempts to start something instead of helping. please save your comments if you are not trying to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
Windham
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hempin wrote:
Stexe wrote:
hempin wrote:
Stexe wrote:
hempin wrote:

You never really knew the concept of the old game nor have you asked about it. To ask a question is to find an answer. To suggest without knowing is just as entertaining as your attempts to start something instead of helping. please save your comments if you are not trying to help.

Guess you still haven't changed. Attacking people and making assumptions. I followed your old game fairly closely, I even contributed to explaining the flaws of it on your Facebook. The fact you jump to the conclusion that I didn't know the game shows you're acting the same as before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*subscribe*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plenty Fillmore
msg tools
Stexe wrote:
hempin wrote:
Stexe wrote:
hempin wrote:
Stexe wrote:
hempin wrote:

Guess you still haven't changed. Attacking people and making assumptions. I followed your old game fairly closely, I even contributed to explaining the flaws of it on your Facebook. The fact you jump to the conclusion that I didn't know the game shows you're acting the same as before.

Thank you again to those who helped and I pray for those who seek attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
Windham
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hempin wrote:
Stexe wrote:
hempin wrote:
Stexe wrote:
hempin wrote:
Stexe wrote:
hempin wrote:

Thank you again to those who helped and I pray for those who seek attention.

Huh? "Pray for those who seek attention"? Again, that isn't a good way to conduct yourself if you're asking for help in creating a game. Go over the old thread and old Facebook posts regarding your game and try to learn from your mistakes. You're making the same things all over again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.