Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my friends and former co-workers, all being of like mind have an occasional "Zombie Night" where we all get together and play some Zombies!!! while some sort of Zombie movie(s) play in the background.

Last time we gave Mid-Evil a run through, and while I appreciate it for being different from Zombies (otherwise what would be the point?) there are a few areas where I think it could use some tweaking.

Firstly, movement. We've used the alternate rule in Zombies where your movement is your life total +2. We like this because we found the random movement to slow the game down significantly, both in the extra time spent rolling dice, and in actual movement. A random roll nets you an average of 3-4 movement - our method has a minimum of 3 no matter what. No annoying three turns of rolling ones in a row.

We tried this in Mid-Evil and it didn't quite work as well. Mostly because the nature of combat in Mid-Evil means you're much less likely to be at a low life level. Everyone playing stayed around 4-5 life for pretty much the entire game, once we got going. The horse card also made things interesting as the guy who ended up getting it ended up with a huge advantage.

My take on this is two-fold. Replace movement = life +2 with movement = life. Everybody will start off moving 3 and nobody will end up with more than 5. Also considered changing the horse to movement +2 or +3 if we're using a non-random movement determination, otherwise it can get really nasty, really fast. A +3 works as it's the low end of the average extra movement you'd gain from the horse if you're using the d6 = movement.

The other thing I've been toying with, but haven't decided on for sure yet is actually making the progressive levels of skeletons more difficult to fight. As it is, once you're well established with good life and a good bank of skeletons to throw into combat there is very little reason to go after whites at all. I'm not sure exactly what changes we'd consider here, but definitely considering something...

Any thoughts/feedback/ideas on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wasp Factoryman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have always played Zombies!!! with the Quick(er) rules where movement is LIFE + 2. So when we finally got around the table to play Midevil it was natural to incoporate the Quick(er) movement varient into this game too. What followed just did'nt feel right. Players, as you have mentioned, rarely dropped below 4 - 5 Hearts giving a movement allocation of 6 - 7 spaces. This worked well until the Horse card was drawn. With this card, where movement is doubled, one player was able to move 14 spaces (and go on to win the game). Its an overwhelming advantage and feels unreasonably generous when playing the Quick(er) rules for movement.

Our second game I decided to follow the original game rules for movement by throwing a D6 (first time we have attempted this for any of the Zombies!!! games). Ouch! it was painful. Movement reduced to slow-motion...never again! So we have kept the Quik(er) rules Life + 2 but reduced the Horse movement to + 2 like the Skateboard in Zombies!!!. It may not be thematically in keepig with the movement bonus one would expect from a well nourished horse but we now visualize the horse as a old and grumpy Shetland pony.

We have not really thought of increasing the combat value of the skeletons to match their points worth. I assume it would work along the lines of a White = 4+, Blue = 5+ & Red = 6 ... to kill. It would certainly be a significant change to the game play. We have recently incorpororated the Castle Chaos expansion into the game and have had a far, far better experience. There are Black Skeletons in the expansion that require a 6 to kill. They really are nasty blighters and are the cause of much misery...but well worth it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.