Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » WBC

Subject: Players Wanted signs for Open Gaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,
When I was at BGG.con (and also at Unity Games, a local Con) there were "Players Wanted" and "Teachers Wanted" signs for people to use in the open gaming area. The idea is that you grab the game you want to play, set it up and put the sign on your table. Hopefully, people milling about will see it and join in, and you can get your game (after you put the sign back!). I've noticed this seems like an easier ice breaker and I honestly felt like I got into games more often because of it.

Since I happen to have a 30x40 piece of foam board that I don't need I'm going to make up a few signs and leave them in the open gaming area. I don't know how many I can make, probably only a few, but hopefully they get used and not all busted up. I may also leave some duct tape.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Coeyman
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At Origins, CABS has full sized road cones you can put up on the table. Blaze orange and very visible, and you can hang the box lid on the point so its easy to walk around the tables and see who is looking for more.

I like the "Teacher's Wanted" sign idea. I like explaining games, and I've walked around at cons seeing people sitting there reading the rulebook, and sometimes I'll offer to teach and other times I'll pass because it looks like they would rather figure it out on their own. This type of sign would be perfect for me!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaarin can chime in, but I believe WBC adopted something similar to the road cone idea, if not the same thing .
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonc213 wrote:
At Origins, CABS has full sized road cones you can put up on the table. Blaze orange and very visible, and you can hang the box lid on the point so its easy to walk around the tables and see who is looking for more.

I like the "Teacher's Wanted" sign idea. I like explaining games, and I've walked around at cons seeing people sitting there reading the rulebook, and sometimes I'll offer to teach and other times I'll pass because it looks like they would rather figure it out on their own. This type of sign would be perfect for me!



WBC does have a system of advertising "players wanted" - but I really like your teachers wanted idea!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sigtaulefty wrote:

WBC does have a system of advertising "players wanted" - but I really like your teachers wanted idea!


The WBC already does.

The color of the open gaming kiosks indicate the type of players wanted:
Red = Experienced players only. (Probably a complicated game.)
Yellow = We are learning this game aka, Teacher wanted.
Green = No experience required. We will teach you.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't seen anything about the open gaming kiosks. I don't remember them from last year, but I may have missed them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
Orph wrote:
I hadn't seen anything about the open gaming kiosks. I don't remember them from last year, but I may have missed them.


They are very useful.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Where were the kiosk things stored? Were they up by the games? What did they look like?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
Orph wrote:
Where were the kiosk things stored? Were they up by the games? What did they look like?


They are in the front of open gaming with the library. 3 sided signs to put on tables.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I must have seen them and I'm just spacing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.