9 Posts

Formula D» Forums » Variants

Subject: PAINTING CARS! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Stevenson

TORONTO
msg tools
Hey gang, I recently bought 2 sets of 6 F1 cars for Formula D from Shapeways! (which are pretty damn good btw) I was wondering if anyone had tips for painting them?

I'm new to the painting world and wanted some simple point form tips.
like...
1. primer
2. paint
3. race
haha

anyway, any info would be much appreciated

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This depends widely on the type of material used for the print. Apart from the tips you may get here you can also have a look at the Shapeways forums, where a lot of people have reported their experiences with painting and/or dyeing various 3d prints.

edit: You can also ask over at the DIY forum or the Miniature Painters' Guild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Millen
United Kingdom
Greyabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
The Shapeways Formula D cars (metal) paint up well and even if your paint job is mediocre will look better from a distance than the plastic cars included with the game. So don't be afraid.

Study the colours of the teams you want to represent through F1 photographs, and from the professonally painted models on the Micro Racing Cars site. then choose your paints and take the plunge.

I did a set with GW white primer and Citadel paints, because that was what I had but as suggested above there is plenty of general painting advice on the site and lots of opinions too.

I am a lousy painter, with aging eyes and shaking hands but I have never regretted taking a brush to unpainted game figures. The results always please me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Pan
msg tools
Hi Guys,

The Plastic and resin cars are much more easy to paint then metal. And the metal are much more expensive too. That´s why Micro racing cars aren´t in metal.

About the paints i use Tamiya and Vallejo.

You can have more unpainted cars of Micro Racing Cars. I Usually do unpainted sales every months. The next will be 29th July - 4th August.

http://www.microracingcars.com/en/

Have Fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spas
United States
Rescue
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a Armory primer spray followed with painting up with Reaper paints.

You will find that any acrylic paints will work. Company choice is just that. A choice. I love Reapers, but dislike GWs. Its all about the painter's tastes.

Oils and enamels? I dunno. I never use them.

For me, acrylics are better as they 'cover' differently and clean up with water. Enamels, you will have to clean brushes with thinner.

A tip: Buy GOOD brushes. Sable hair is the best. Try to stay away from synthetics.
I would get a 0, a 000, and if possible 10/0 for painting this scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spas
United States
Rescue
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also for something that small, you may want to go get some high power magnifying reading glasses (the kind old folks need...).
You can get them at your local thrift shop or hospice for about $2 a pair.
That will REALLY help you seeing the small stuff.

Unless you already got really good eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marksmen006 wrote:

like...
1. primer
2. paint
3. race

Yes, it's really that simple. Even if you're inexperienced at painting - the small size of the cars gives a nice result even with very basic painting skills.

Primer: I prefer black primer by GW. Tried primer by Vallejo colours once, the result is ok but while applying the colour it looks as if you're drowning the minis in black sludge.

Paint: I'd recommend vallejo colours. It's nice to use the small bottles for mixing colours - just note the amount of drops from the used colours and you're able to re-mix them if necessary. Instead of a painter's palette I use bottlecaps for mixing colours. Formula De minis need just tiny amounts of paint anyway.

Some appetizers....

Formula 1 - 2004 season

Formula 1 - ca. 1966-69

Sports cars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk DeWester
United States
Columbia Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marksmen006 wrote:
Hey gang, I recently bought 2 sets of 6 F1 cars for Formula D from Shapeways! (which are pretty damn good btw) I was wondering if anyone had tips for painting them?

like...
1. primer
2. paint
3. race
haha

anyway, any info would be much appreciated

Thanks!

Anybody have a picture of what they actually look like? The 6 F1 pieces on Shapeways don't have a real pic. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kinkead
United States
East Palestine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My painted stainless steel Shapeways cars are pictured and were placed there recently (they are the ones with the gray bases attached to the bottom.) Despite my cruddy painting skills, I think they turned out great...I painted 19 of them and was even able to paint a reasonably well detailed Francesco Bernoulli from Cars 2 for my son. I used a black Krylon primer, used testor Enamels, and then finished with three layers of Clearcoat (high school students play in my league and are hard on the cars!) A fine paint brush and tooth picks were all I used. Enjoy the process of painting them....I actually enjoyed picking out the color schemes and making them come to life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.