United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Marracash (Paul, Dave, Brent, Eric)

I played this game for the first time last week at Dave's apartment and had vowed to play again before the end of the month. Well, I kept my word by putting it on the table and waiting for people to sit down and play.

Everyone else was a first-timer, and my one prior game made me think these guys were bidding way too high, regularly paying 400-600 for shops from the beginning of the game on. I made 200 on the first shop I auctioned and didn't buy a shop in the opening round because I thought the prices were too high.

Amazingly -- or perhaps not given my inexperience -- I didn't buy a shop the entire game. I made plenty off commissions from moving customers, trying to spread the wealth to offset Paul's monopoly on yellow shops, and sold shops several more times for more than 500 dirham. The other three guys made money over the course of the game, but they threw so much of it away buying shops that I won the game with 2,350, with Dave finishing in second with 2,100.

I love that I won despite never buying a shop because that seems contrary to the whole notion of a game based on customers spending money in shops. You learn the rules and immediately latch on to "buy shops, then lure customers," but there's more going on than is apparent at first glance. I definitely want to play this again soon to see what other sweetness is hiding in this simple-sounding game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lea
United Kingdom
Leeds
County: West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
See what you think of it playing with the souvenirs. People seem reluctant to try them for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.