Popular Tags: [View All]
Henning Nagel
Germany
Potsdam
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preamble

I had another Game of Combat Commander: Europe against my usual Opponent the Owner of the Mage Store Düsseldorf today.

We choosed Scenario #102: Night Shift. This Scenario pitted my US Infantrymen of the 1st Battalion, 115th Infantry Regiment against a Surprise Attack of German Grüne Teufel (Green Devils) and Pioniere (Engineers) from the 3rd Fallschirmjäger-Division. The German Attack hit the US G.I.'s after a short Artillery Barrage and while they prepared to Assault the very same Germans. Due to the resulting Confusion in the US Ranks could I give just one Order per Turn. My Opponent was handicaped by the Difficulties to coordinate a Night Attack and had a Discard Ability of just 1.

The Combat Zone

+The Objectivs+

The Germans had to conquer five Objectivs, which were all worth 2 VP. I did learn later that my Opponent had to take the small Wood at the Y Intersection (Objective No. 5) for 4 extra VP, while my secret Objective was to hold the central Farm Building (Objective No. 4) for 4 extra VP.

A last Difficulty was that all Fire Attack Totals had to be reduced by the Range between the Shooter and the Target, as a Result of the Night Time.

The US Setup

I had to set up first.

+Setup, US left Flank+

The left Flank was under command of Sgt. Divine. He had three Line Infantry Squads with one mMG at his disposal. He had the Task to guard the left Side of the Front against any German Attempts to cross the Map and exit Troops over my Map Edge. They were stationed in two Hexes with Foxholes. Furthermore had he to organise the Defense of the central Farm, when the Germans treathen this Position. In the Farm Buildings were three Line Infantry Squads without a Leader, which acted as Reserve and Garrision. The left Flank was supported by two Wires. One Wire was used to deny the Germans the Building opposing my Forces. This Building was in my Set up Area, but not worth to defend directly, because it was no VP-Location and directly adjacent to the German Set up Area. The other Wire was placed in Front of one Farm Building to hinder any German Approach against this Building.

+Setup, US Centre and right Flank+

The US Centre and right Flank defended forward. The Centre composed of Lt. Blankenship with four Weapon Teams with one hMG and three light Mortar and two Line Infantry Squads. Lt. Blankenship placed himself, one Line Infantry Squad and the Weapon Team with the hMG in Foxholes into the small Wood at the Y Intersection (Objective No. 5). Directly behind his Position was the other Line Infantry Squad as his Reserve. To his right were behind Hedges and in Foxholes the three Weapon Teams with light Mortars. Lt. Blankenship had to deny the Germans the use of the Streets in Front of him and to disrupt any German Movement in his Sector. He should hold the small Wood if possible and should retreat to the Central Farm Buildings if his Position would become indefensible. To support his Position was one Wire placed onto the Y Intersection.

Cpl. Hubbard commanded the right Flank and had the thankless Task to defend the tactical important Building (Objective No. 1) as long as possible. He had just three Line Infantry Squads at his disposal and was in an exposed Position. The Building was directly adjacent to the German Set up Area and it was difficult to support any Troops inside. He had also the Task to defend the Lt. BLankenship's Mortar against any German Attacks from the Orchards on the other Side of the Street. With this in mind did he place one Squad into the Building, another Squad and himself into Foxholes on the Street beside the Building and to his left one Squad into Foxholes in the Field.

+Setup, US Rear+

One lone Line Infantry Squad was stationed in the US Rear Area in a small French Farm House (Objective No. 2). They were a Safeguard against any German Deep Raides.

Good luck Boys!

The German Setup

+Setup, German left Flank+

The German left Flank was split into two Parts. The leftmost Part was under command of Lt. v. Karsties and consisted of four Squads of die-hard Pioniere with one Flammenwerfer (Flamethrower) and one lMG. They were positioned directly adjacent to the tactical important Building (Objective No. 1) and threatend Cpl. Hubbard's Line Infantry Squad.

The second Part was under command of Sgt. Pfeiffer. He had three Squads of Fallschirmjäger with one lMG and one Squad of Pioniere at his disposal. They deployed into the Orchard and Wood opposite of Cpl. Hubbard's and Lt. Blankenship's Positions.

+Setup, German right Flank+

The German right Flank had with Lt. Lauerbach and Sgt. Biermann also two Leaders. Sgt. Biermann was positioned with two Squads of Fallschirmjäger in open Terrain and could march against Lt. Blankenship's Forces or against the central Farm Buildings. Lt. Lauerbach was stationed with three Squads of Fallschirmjäger with two lMG in a Field opposite of the central Farm Buildings. He could attack the Farm Buildings or engage the US left Flank. Therefore he could also detach one of Sgt. Biermann's Squads. The German Grouping encompassed another Squad of Fallschirmjäger, which was outside of the Command Radius from both Leaders.

+Setup, German Reserves+

My Opponent choosed to setup most of his Forces now and put just one Fallschirmjäger-Squad into Reserve on the Time Track.

The Battle

Note: This Scenario is exceptional to such an extend that the Defender has the first Turn.

+First Shots+

Lt. Blankenship started the Battle. He was still trying to calm his Boys, which were startled and confused by the unexpected German Artillery Barrage, when he spotted Movement between the Fruit Trees at the End of the Street. Looking trough his Scope did he recognize the distinctive Form of German Steel Helmets in the Moonlight. At the same time came the Shout from his Mortar Position: "Lieutenant. Movement on the other Side of the Street!" They are really attacking us! He yelled: "Mortar attack identified Targets at will." and gave order to his surrounding Men: "Engage Infantry Targets in Orchard at 2 o'clock." The hMG started to roar accompanyed by the higher Crack of the M1 Garand Rifles. He could see no Effect. (No Hits against Lt. v. Karsties and his Pioniere with Flamethrower.)
From behind the Hedgerow came the short Barks of his Mortars. A Runner reached him "We hit the Krauts. They run for Cover." (Sgt. Pfeiffer and his Fallschirmjäger-Squad with lMG were suppressed.)

+The Germans infiltrate the Building+

While Lt. Blankenship's Men kept their Barrage up were Cpl. Hubbard's Men in the rightmost House in Trouble. Alarmed from the heavy Fire did they rush to the Windows and Doors. Just as they noticed some Shapes outside of the main Entrance could they hear sombody speak German: "Los, räuchert sie aus!" (Go, smoke them out!). Then Flames were already coming through the Openings and small Arms Fire riddled the Walls. Men were hit. Screaming filled the Rooms. The G.I.'s retreated deeper into the House hastily, dragging their wounded Comrades with them. (Squad broken.)
The G.I.'s could not see that other Figures were moving through the adjacent Fields, threatening to surround the them.

Nobody knew from were he came, but Cpl. Jensen was suddenly with the Men in the Building rallying them.

+The Loss of Objective No. 1 and some damn good Boys+

All Hell broke loose, just when Cpl. Jensen had the Men back in good Shape. Germans were swarming through all doorways. A bitter Hand-to-hand Fight started. Knifes and Entrenching Tools were used. The Boys fought with Vigor, but the Germans were overwhelming.
Cpl. Hubbard could hear and see the Melee, but could not intervene. One wounded G.I. run into his Emplacement, muttering that all were dead. (Melee lost. German Player did overstack and lost one Pionier-Squad, which had to split into two Elite-Teams. One Team went to the Casualty Track.)

+Cpl. Hubbard retreats behind the Hedgerows+

Warned due to the wounded Comrad did Cpl. Hubbard give up his now precarious Position on the Street and retreated with his Squad behing the Hedgerows.

Lt. Blankenship's constant Mortar Shelling of the German Position bears Fruit. The Germans were stopped and suffered high Casualties. (Sgt. Pfeiffer suppressed and broken. The Fallschirmjäger-Squad with lMG killed.)

+After first Time Event+

Both Sides had some Cower Events in the Meantime. Sgt. Pfeiffer ducked into one of the Morter Shellholes among his shredde Bodies of his Men. (Dig In.)

+Recover and German Preparation Fire+

While both Sides recover from the first Encounters did the German Grouing in the rightmost Building pepper Cpl. Hubbards Position with Small Arms Fire. He and his Men had not much Cover in the Field, some were wounded and all hit the Dirt. Cpl. Hubbard lay between the Crops his Head ducked while he could hear the Cries of his Men all around him. (Line Infantry Squat broken. Sgt. Hubbard suppressed.)

+German right Flank Advance and walking Wounded amongst the Mortars+

The German right Flank under command of Lt. v. Karsties advanced into the Position, which Cpl. Hubbard has abonded a short Time ago. His Pionier-Squad with the Flamethrower run into an unexpected Minefield on the Street, but have no Casulties.

Lt. Blankenship noted that the right Flank was in trouble and ordered the Mortars to change Target. They shell Cpl. Hubbard's abonded Position to no avail. Some badly wounded German Soldier appeared in their midst suddenly. They seemed as surprised as the G.I.'s, but after a brief Hesitation were both Sides engaged in Close Combat, in which the G.I.'s prevailed. (Walking Wounded Event brought back one broken German Elite Team right in my Mortar Hex, while I executed my Fire Order. Great Event.)

+Short Range Fire Fight kills more G.I.'s+

Small Arms Fire and Flamethrower killed all Men around Cpl. Hubbard and he still had to duck. (Broken Line Infantry Squad killed and Cpl. Hubbard broken and suppressed.)

+Death of Cpl. Hubbard+

Continued Fire from the German Grouping on the Street killed Cpl. Hubbard finally. The Pionier-Squad with Flamethrower moved into the vacanted Hex and is broken by Fire from the US Line Infantry Squad in the adjacent Field. The US Squad becomes veteran.

+US Centre regroups, US Reinforcements+

Lt. Blankenship regroups his Units. The Mortar Crews were send into the Orchard from with they could overlook the contested Field. The hMG Crew, his Line Infantry Squad and the Lieutenant himself move into the vacated Mortar Position. And his Reserve Line Infantry Squad moves into Blankenship's former Position. The G.I.'s were harassed by heavy German Fire during the Regroupment. Lt. Blankenship's accompanying Line Infantry Squad was forced to take Cover. (Unit broken.)

A US Sniper missed Lt. v. Karsties, but he ducked deep into his Foxhole and had to catch his Breath. (Broken.)

But the Germans recover quickly and Lt. v. Karsties orders his Pioniere (with Flamethrower) forward. Heavy US Fire from behind the Hedgerows forced them first into Cover and annihilated them then. (OP-Fire broke the Unit and a regular Fire Order broke them a second time.)

+US Veterans surrender!+

While Lt. Blankenship's Men fire onto the attacking German Pioniere took their remaining Comrades care of Cpl. Hubbards last Squad. This Squad still held their Foxholes and were engaged in bitter short Range Fire Fights with the Germans on the other Side of the Hedgerow. After a lot of substained MG Fire and Handgrenades were they forced to take Cover. (Broken.) Still under Impression from the Death of their Comrads all around and believing that the Fire in their Rear means that they were surrounded did they surrender. (Prisoners of War Event. Damn bad Moment.)

+US Centre falls after Melee+

Lt. v. Karties used this Moment of American Weakness and moved under the Cover of Smoke Grenades into the abandoned US Position in the Field. With a short: "Hinein in sie." (Into them.) ordered he his Men into Close Combat with Lt. Blankenship's G.I.'s. The Melee is short and brutal. (Both have one Ambush Card, but his Fire Power was much higher.) The Bodies of Lt. Blankenship and the accompanying American Soldier will be found after the Battle still in their Foxholes. They fought to the last.

+After the 6th Time Event+

Lt. v. Karsties advanced his Men further and they pushed a Wedge between the lone US Squad in the small Wood and the US Mortar Grouping. German Reinforcements in Form of Dietel Hero of the Reich and a Weapon Team with a hMG occupyed the US Squad in the Wood so that they were unable to react to the Movement in their Rear. Their Opportunity Fire broke the German Weapon Team, which tried to deploy their hMG on the Street.

Sgt. Divine scrambled meanwhile to get himself and the Squad with the mMG to the Central Farm Building. (One Advance Order.)

+US Mortars lost+

Still deep into the American Lines led Lt. v. Karsties his Men into another Close Combat. They broke into the US Mortar Position and killed them all in short brutal Fashion. The G.I.'s had no Chance but they did fight back. (Ambush Card broke one German Elite Team.)

+Heavy Fire Fights raged around Objective No. 5+

The lone US Squad in the Small Wood at the Y Intersection was engaged in heavy Fire Fights with the Germans on the other Side of the Street or on the Street. They ducked for a short time, but can recover quickly. They were even able to suppresse Cpl. Schmidt, which tried to Rally the still broken hMG Crew.

+After the 7th Time Event+

Sgt. Divine reached the central Farm Buildings and prepared a Defensive Position.

The Germans were able to rally all their Personnel.

+The American Casualty Track during the 7th Time Event+

The German Squad in the Weapons Area is just a Reminder that he had to split one Squad due to Overstacking.

My Surrender Level was increased by one due to an Event.

+Pvt. Adamson appears+

Heavy Fire Fights raged still around the small Wood at the Y Intersection. Under Fire from many Sides were the G.I.'s again forced to take Cover. But from their midst emerged Pvt. Adamson and they rallied another time.

+The Germans on the Street under heavy Fire+

Under Pvt. Adamson's Direction was it again possible to disrupt the German Deployment on the Street. (Cpl. Schmidt and Weapon Team with hMG broken.)

But Lt. v. Karsties led his Units under Cover of Smoke Grenades adjacent to the US Position.

+Bad German Recover Attempt+

My Opponent tried to Recover both his broken Units on the Street, but had the Misfortune to roll in both Cases equal to their Moral.

+The Germans take Objektive No. 5+

In a major Effort did Lt. v. Karsties throw all his Men into a Melee in the small Wood. (Lt. v. Karsties, two Pionier-Squads and one Elite Team.) They easliy took the Wood from the exhausted G.I.'s.

Shortly afterwards had I burned through the last Cards of my Deck and forced the 8th Time Event. I made the Sudden Death Roll, which I passed with a five. I had the Initiative Card so that my Opponent was unable to prolong the Game.

+The Casualty Track at the End of the Game+

I still had 5 VP but was just one Space short of an American Surrender. The Increase of my Surrender Level during the Game won it for me.

Aftermath

A very bloody Game from American View, but the Line did hold. The Loss of Lt. Blankenship and his Men was a hard Blow, because it meant that I could not hold the Centre. I did receive the American Hero in the early Game and placed him in the central Farm Buildings because I thought he could be useful there. He would have been more useful in the Centre with the Mortars. Than I could have tried to save them. Without a Leader was it impossible to move such a big Group of Units.

After all another good Game for medevil

Greetings,
Henning
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
OH HELL YEAH!!!

This is Super Cool!!! Replay!!

Take some Money!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Hager
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to post this excellent report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another unusually fine AAR from our German Combat Commander who plays the Americans !

An excellent and close victory !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Nagel
Germany
Potsdam
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gosh!

Many thanks to
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
for his very generous Donation.

Yours sincerely,
Henning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Nagel
Germany
Potsdam
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steven, Stacey and Chick,

thanks for your kind words. It was fun to play and a little Work to write the Report. I takes me a long time to finish one Report, because I very often know what I want to say (in German), but do not know how to write it in more or less correct English.

The Americans are fun to play. Move less and shoot more and everythink will become right

Greetings,
Henning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report. Looking forward to meeting you this afternoon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Nagel
Germany
Potsdam
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Carsten,

thanks and I'm looking forward to our Meeting too.

See you,
Henning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Nagel
Germany
Potsdam
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi John,

many Thanks to you
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for your Donation.

Sincerely yours,
Henning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, readers, there won't be a photo report to today's session, but I was a bit pressed for time. It was epic nonetheless, with sc. 5 being decided by the IC...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the initiative card, you say ??

Doesn't get any closer.

Who won that epic game, please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Miniapples
Minisoda
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
Initiative card tie break? Boy, that's never happened to me. Talk about the razor's edge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Nagel
Germany
Potsdam
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chick,

a short Summary of our Game then.

We choosed Scenario #5: Cold Front, because our Time was limited.

Sides were assigned randomly. I got the Soldier of the German Infantry Regiment 18 and Carsten got the Siberian Troops of 31st Soviet Army.

Carsten divided his Troops in three Columns. He stationed one Rate 2 Leader with three Guard SMG Squads in the Brush on his right Flank.
He had one Rate 2 Leader in the Buildings in his Centre with some Guard SMG Squads.
In the Woods on his left Flank were two Rate 1 Leader and some Guard SMG Squads.

I stationed Sgt. Ganz with two Rifle Squads and two lMG at the Edge of the Wood opposite of Carsten's right Flank. They were entrenched.

Lt. v. Karsties was positioned in the central Wood with one Rifle Squad with a Satchel Charge and a Weapon Team with the hMG. They were positioned in a Trench and able to observe the Bridge in front of them and the Stream to their right.

My hMG was the randomly determined Weapon, which started the Game broken.

At the Start of the Game did Carsten move his left Flank forward. They were partly able to cross the Stream. Some fell prey to my meanwhile fixed hMG. One Leader and two Sqauds reached the Building near the Axis Map Edge. I got one Rifle Squad as extraordinary Reinforcement and placed it into the Building. We fought around this Building from which Carsten emerged victorious.

Lt. v. Karsties led his Grouping to the Building and we fought on. The Fight waged back and forth. My Grouping was reinforced by another extraordinary Reinforcement in the form of a Weapon Team with a lMG. In the End did the Germans lose another Rifle Squad and the Weapon Team with hMG and the Russians lost their Leader and one Squad, while one Russian Squad left the Map.

His right and my left Flank traded mostly inconsequent shots, meanwhile. I got another extraordinary Reinforcement in the form of a Weapon Team with another hMG, which strengthened Sgt. Ganz's Forces. I was able to hold his right Flank the whole Game.

But while Lt. v. Karsties was still out of Place near my Map Edge did Carsten move his Centre. They captured the now important Brige (new open Objetive 3 VP's) and crossed the Stream there. Lt. Karsties could have reached his old Position in the Wood, but would have been in danger to get into Close Combat with the Russian and decided to head for the Buildings.

The Russians rushed trough the Wood and approached the Map Edge. I had no chance to stop Carsten from exiting his Forces. Three Squads and one Rate 2 Leader brought him 18 VP's! Ouch! The VP Marker was in the 6 Space of his Side and we were already in Turn 11 or 12.

I pushed Lt. v. Karsties forward and he recaptured the Bridge with 3 VP's, which brought the VP Marker on the 0 Box.

Shortly afterwards the Game ended. I had the Initiative Card in my Hand and won a marginal Victory.

Puh! Great Game and thrilling until the last Card.

Henning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Nagel
Germany
Potsdam
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Brian,

this happened two times in my Games. One time in this Play and another time during the Play of Scenario #12 last Week. I will write a Session Report for that Game too, but had to wait for Pictures taken by my usual Opponent, because my Mobil gave out.

Greetings,
Henning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Nagel
Germany
Potsdam
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Lee,

many Thanks to you

Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

for your Donation.

Yours sincerely,
Henning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Henning for such a good AAR. It's cool to see the action unfold. I haven't played that scenario yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Nagel
Germany
Potsdam
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JackFlash wrote:
Thanks Henning for such a good AAR. It's cool to see the action unfold. I haven't played that scenario yet.

You are welcome. The Scenario is fun. The US-Player has more Fire Power, but has Difficulties to bring that to bear. The Night shortens the LOS, there are no clear Firelines due to the Terrain and he can execute just one Order.

The Geman Player has only top quality Infantry (Fallschirmjäger & Pioniere) and a lot of them. He has Difficulties to coordinate all Units, because of their Number and his to 1 reduced Discard Ability. He has to get close and into Melee. His Infantry is very capable of thus Actions and are supported by Darkness, but due to his Discard Limitation is the Coordination very difficult.

Both Players are thence handicaped and that makes the Scenario very interesting. I recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Nagel
Germany
Potsdam
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Nelson,

many Thanks to you

Nelson Isada
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

for your generous Donation.

Sincerely yours,
Henning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Nagel
Germany
Potsdam
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:
Hi Henning!

I have read this report several times over the last year and remain very impressed with your writing style, in addition to the language skills!

Hello Paul,

thank you very much for your Praise. I am honoured that you still read my Report after more one Year blush

Gunderian007 wrote:
As to the details of this battle, a couple points came to mind.

The over-stacked squad that was replaced with two teams is returned to the counter mix. In this way, it can return as a reinforcement. This is similar to what happens with a Walking Wounded action.

It is never too late to learn something new. Thank you, a nice find. Apparently we did not know that.

Gunderian007 wrote:
As to the US set-up, I was thinking about the special rules for both sides and want to run an idea up the flagpole. Because the Germans can only discard 1 card a turn, and the Americans are limited to 1 Order a turn, perhaps more distance should be used in the US setup.

The Germans will be more active at first, but run into issues as the game progresses due to discard problems. This is how the French deck plays out, which also has a discard max of 1.

The defender likes to fall back under pressure, but the 1 Order limit makes this nearly impossible for the US here. Also, giving up their right flank objective at setup hurts, but it's going to fall anyway, so losing the troops makes this worse, not to mention the supporting units are sucked into the cauldron.

Once the US player accepts a deeper setup, the foxholes and wire can be used more strategically, not to mention the leaders and ordinance can be clustered as a core response group held back at the center.

If the Germans discard for a perfect hand, the US player can dump to the max because the pressure is less on his deeper positions, or shift forces if the hand seems ideal.

These are just thoughts! Your victory was well-earned and your opponent did well it seems. Keep up the AARs.

I have to admit that while I own Combat Commander: Mediterranean for a long Time, is it still unpunched and unplayed. Therefore do I have no Experience how to play the French in CC.

With that Limitation to your Plan.

I like that you force his bad Discard Ability on your German Opponent. With my Set-up had the German Player many Opportunities to play Cards in order to discard them. You will deny him that.

And even with the one Order Limitation should the US Player be able to react on most Relocations of the German Schwerpunkt, because he has enough Time to perfect his Card Hand. Like you mentioned something not possible with my Set-up.

I have no Problem to give up Objective No. 1. But in order to gain the above mentioned Benefit of your Set-up do you also have to give up Objective No. 5! The small Wood has commanding Lanes of Fire on the US right Flank. Manned by a sizeable Force can this Position tie down a lot of German Troops. You have no comparable Position in the US Hinterland at the right Flank. The dense Terrain makes it difficult to have even one proper Lane of Fire. To cover all Approaches will you have to disperse your Forces more than you might want. On the other Hand will you have the mentioned Ability to Relocate. But your Fortifications might be at the wrong Location.

A strong central Maneuver Grouping is tempting, but the German Player can attack on two Axes and gamble that the US Player's Restriction to one Order each Impulse will prevent him from effective Measures against both Attacks. But the same is true if you disperse your Forces right from the Start, like I did. I had the Luck that my Opponent attacked only on one Axis and that he fought against my strongest Groupings.

In summary has your Plan as Pros the Exploitation of your Opponents Weakness, the Ability to relocate your Forces according to the Enemies Approach and a strong Centre. Cons are that you have to give up two VP Locations with little or no Fight and that you might fight in dense Terrain, which prevents you from using your high Fire Power (MG's and Mortars) and the high Rate of US Fire right from the Start (more Fire Orders in the US Deck).

Someone has to test your Plan

Regards,
Henning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Nagel
Germany
Potsdam
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Paul,

were do you want to place the Mortars? With your strong Centre? Or do you intend to disperse them?

Henning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:
Read mines and wire carefully; they require 'a unit to move/advance' into a new hex. I see no reason this should be restricted to enemy units.

Huh, sneaky! I had not noticed that before!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caskey
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the bonus move wouldn't the advancing unit have to survive the melee first , before it could place the wire/mines action? Which sounds unlikely. And if they survive that would make the placing of the mines somewhat counterproductive.

Thematically it would make sense that you would have to clear the opposition out of a hex before you place wire, as they may have some objections to your actions!

But I am not sure of the sequence of events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mcaskey11925 wrote:
But I am not sure of the sequence of events.

Melee occurs at the end of the Order (O16.4)
The Hidden Wires/Mine action occurs just after the advance. (A35.2/A35.5)

So the wire/mines would be in place prior to melee resolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Gunderian007 wrote:
Also, imagine running a single team down a road to draw enemy fire, getting close, and then laying mines in a choke point. Heck, they could do this, move thru them, taking several attacks, and still play a Recover at turn end. Maximum annoyance value.

Or a Hero (who has the advantage of a bit higher morale and higher movement when broken).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Nagel
Germany
Potsdam
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:
F6, H6 & N8

Mortars and other 'white stripe' ordinance can fire only as an Order, not as an Action defensively(Exc.: Assault Fire pieces).

Because of the 1 Order US restriction, I would think the priority would be:

Recover
Advance
Move (with Assault Fire)
[Discard]
Fire
Rout

So the position of the mortars is not critical, nor should much effort be expended/anticipated by the US player in moving with them as a reaction force. When they do fire and hit, I would dump all Sustain Fire actions on that shot!

My Impression is that the biggest US Advantage in Combat Commander is the high Number of Fire Cards. Therefore is my general US Tactic "move less and fire often". Especially this Scenario with the Night Rules requires more Fire Orders to gain an Effect on the Target. I am reluctant to give this Advantage up in order to be more mobile. But I am known to fight Game Situations out and prefer to bleed my Opponent for all his Gains. Sometimes it works and my Opponent fails his personal Moral Check, such that he thinks the Game lost, missing how precarious my Position has become.
Thus is my Reluctance less analytic and more emotional

At some Time I might try your Set-up and Tactic. But I fear that I will fall back into my old Habit very soon.

Gunderian007 wrote:
And here is a bonus sneaky move, since you are the coolest dude in the world! Read mines and wire carefully; they require 'a unit to move/advance' into a new hex. I see no reason this should be restricted to enemy units. So, when a big German stack tries to bypass one of those LPs, advance into them and place Wire/Mines. The US unit will likely perish, but the enemy will have to crawl out of this messy predicament!

Oh, that is good. Thank you. My usual Opponent is seldom on BGG, so I have good Hopes to surprice him with such a Move devil

We intented to play Panzer (second edition) or Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division the next Time. Maybe I can persuade him to play Combat Commander instead.

Greetings,
Henning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.