Subject: 2 (separate) questions about Lucky Dice and Giant Ape rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Glencross
Australia
Geelong
VIC
flag msg tools
Played our first game last night and it went really well although we had a couple of questions that came up. We quickly ruled on them and kept playing but I'm curious what the actual answers are.

1. Are the lucky dice mandatory?
If they're mandatory it would affect positive encounters, which would be interesting but we didn't think it was the intended use.

2. Giant Ape says Roll 4 dice. Lose one crew for each success. Keep the Giant Ape if all 4 are failures.
Are you able to add dice to the roll and if you are, what would happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. In another thread, the designer confirmed that the dice do in fact affect positive encounters whether you want them to or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Giant Ape...not sure why you'd add dice. For each extra success, another crewman dies, but yes, you could add if you wanted....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

No, they are not mandatory. All Relics are a meant to be a bonus to the player, so you would only use the Lucky Dice to avoid bad encounters.

2. Giant Ape says Roll 4 dice. Lose one crew for each success. Keep the Giant Ape if all 4 are failures. Are you able to add dice to the roll and if you are, what would happen?

You would not want to add dice to this roll as all dice must be failures and more dice would mean more of a chance of rolling successes. Re-roll instants are the the cards you might play to on this encounter to re-roll successes.

Thanks for playing. Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Glencross
Australia
Geelong
VIC
flag msg tools
Richard Launius wrote:

No, they are not mandatory. All Relics are a meant to be a bonus to the player, so you would only use the Lucky Dice to avoid bad encounters.

2. Giant Ape says Roll 4 dice. Lose one crew for each success. Keep the Giant Ape if all 4 are failures. Are you able to add dice to the roll and if you are, what would happen?

You would not want to add dice to this roll as all dice must be failures and more dice would mean more of a chance of rolling successes. Re-roll instants are the the cards you might play to on this encounter to re-roll successes.

The way Giant Ape is worded it could easily be interpreted that you only need 4 fails for it to become protective, but we figured it meant all fails.

Thanks for the answers everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:

Richard--I'd hate to argue with the designer ...but I read the Lucky Dice as they are used on ALL encounters (which I said in a different thread).

Now we get to have the philosophical debate of the letter of the law vs. the spirit/intent!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard--I'd hate to argue with the designer ...but I read the Lucky Dice as they are used on ALL encounters (which I said in a different thread).

Now we get to have the philosophical debate of the letter of the law vs. the spirit/intent!!!
Player

Debate is good for the mind... but the intent of the Relics is that they positively support the player. Some may think that makes the the Lucky Dice overpowered, but I have not experienced that in any games. I do agree that the wording makes the dice sound as though the player rolls for every encounter, so I think the final ruling can go either way.

While I see the term "Lucky Dice" to mean good luck - as such they only bring me (as a pirate captain) good luck, and therefore do not eliminate any positive encounters, I can understand opposing perspectives, so for
players that prefer an official answer different than my initial interpretation, please post your thoughts and I will make a final ruling later today.

"Aurrrggggh...me Lucky Dice be fickle!"

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Glencross
Australia
Geelong
VIC
flag msg tools
I read it as though it was mandatory for all encounters, but thought it was intended to be a benefit to the player, so we ruled that it affected any encounters you want to use it on.

What made me lean toward that even more than I would have is the fact that I forgot to use it on the first two encounters I had and decided not to worry about backtracking. In the end I think I got rid of 1 encounter during the game.

I think it has the potential to be quite powerful, but probably not too powerful. I wouldn't mind if it affected all encounters, it would just give you something more to think about before choosing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tharp
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hobby game designer, please print and play my games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely think Lucky Dice and all relics in general should be for the benefit of the player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Final Ruling on the Lucky Dice:

Based on feedback and the wording on the card, the Lucky Dice Relic officially triggers for all encounters; both good and bad.

For players that prefer the Relic to only bring good results for the play, I suggest you use a "house" rule agreed upon prior to choosing the Relics that all Relics (including the Lucky Dice) can only bring good results and therefore it is not rolled for any good encounters you play on yourself.

That is it and how it will appear when I do an FAQ. It appears, "me Lucky Die are fickle indeed."

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.