Wheedle» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Stock Trading Just Became Fun! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Anderson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I know, I know, stock trading sounds like the worst theme for a game in the entire world, but hear me out on this one. I grew up playing Pit with my family and quite frankly I loved the game. Something about the disorder and chaos of everyone trying to get what they wanted was intriguing and led to fun memories and interesting stories. I was at a thrift store looking at board games and I saw Wheedle for something like $2.00. I figured that was well worth it so I bought the copy that had never been opened and started reading the rules. The rules took less than 10 minutes to wrap my head around and before you knew it we were ready to play. This game is an amazing little gem that may lack a little in the graphic design department, but is in fact a vast improvement over Pit. If I am given the choice, I never play pit over Wheedle. In fact, Wheedle has somehow out shined Pit so much that it has become a little painful to play. The game is simple: There are three types of companies in the game, those that are divided up into 5 stocks, 7 stocks, and 9 stocks. The player's aim is to get the majority of whatever stock they have in their hand without going bankrupt. If a player manages to gather the majority of a certain company, then each of those cards count as a value of 1 point. However, if you can get the entire stock of a company then you get double the points. A round ends when a player has at least the majority of every company in their hand. This awards the ending player 10 bonus points. Watch out though, a card in the middle predicts what company is going to go bankrupt and each of those cards in your hand will be negative 1 point. Players may switch out the middle card at any time by replacing it with another. Players negotiate by any means possible with other players as they swap stock in different companies. This game is so intuitive and so much fun, I can't think of a single thing I would change. I give it a solid 6 dice. The poor people who sent it to the thrift store did not know what they were missing.

Cons

I will not declare any official cons because I rate the game a 6 dice, but if I were to give any suggestion with the game it would be about the rules. The rules say that you should trade by name of the company. This gets annoying because they are all tongue twisters and really awkward names to say. We tried a round like that and it literally didn't last 10 seconds. We all reverted to using the color of the cards. So, in a future version, I would either take out the companies altogether, thus compromising the theme, or eliminate that rule...because we did anyways.

Pros

1.) Kibun - Kibun is the word I like to assign to the overall mood and acceptance of the game. If you are like me and my wife and enjoy entertaining groups of people then this should be a big one for you. Lately it has become the trend that no matter who we decide to have dinner and games with, they ask us what the board game should be, and that puts a lot of pressure on the game that we recommend. We have never had this one flop. Even when people lose miserably they enjoy the game. That is power in a game.

2.) Scoring - Because this game is so similar to Pit, I cannot avoid comparing the two. The scoring in Pit was always all or nothing. This meant that the person who has not had any success the entire game could come back and win it in a single round through sheer dumb luck. Wheedle still carries a very impressive upset possibility but never leaves people disappointed. Keeping a steady flow of points coming will ensure your victory, yet hope is never lost.

3.) Number of Players - I love that this game accommodates a fairly large number of players. With a max of 6 players, this game rarely disappoints. Yes, coming from a family of 10 kids there are occasions where we cannot include everyone, but that is life. On average I have found that 6 people is generally plenty; especially in a game where everyone is shouting and trying to be heard. More would be chaos, less would be restricting...6 is perfection.

This review comes from www.thelistofboardgames.com/wheedle/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Smith
United States
Andover
Kansas
flag msg tools
GET OVER HERE!
badge
Who the @#&% was that?
mbmbmbmbmb
I also got a copy of this in a thrift store and the cards were in shrink. Haven't gotten it to the table yet. Thanks for the review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.