Matt Yellen
msg tools
The Geomancer's Gravity Spike skill reads: Move each figure of that monster group up to 2 spaces toward a summoned stone. What exactly is the definition of "toward" in this context? Does each space the monster is moved through have to be closer to the stone? Are lateral moves allowed as long as the final space is closer to the stone? Are lateral moves allowed if closer spaces are blocked? Can monsters be moved laterally if it makes room to move another monster closer? Can the Geomancer's choose to move a monster only one space even if it is possible to move it 2 spaces and end up closer to the stone?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
myellen wrote:
Does each space the monster is moved through have to be closer to the stone?
I believe this is true.
Summoned Stones works like magnets, so each move must reduce a range between Summoned Stone and monster. In other words, monster must move the shortest path. So lateral moves would not be allowed.
(Can you think of a example where not blocked monster cannot move in this manner?)

EDIT: See below

myellen wrote:
Can the Geomancer's choose to move a monster only one space even if it is possible to move it 2 spaces and end up closer to the stone?
Yes.
As you quoted it says "up to 2 spaces", which means that it can be 1 space.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Yellen
msg tools


So in this example the moves in green would all be legal because they all go to closer squares. The moves in red are illegal because they involve lateral moves, even though they ultimately end in a closer square than they started.

Incidentally, there were some in my group who interpreted "up to" as meaning that a monster could only be moved fewer than 2 spaces if it were blocked -- otherwise it must be moved 2.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In your example you can move lower monster as indicated by green arrows (each move will shorten the distance) or you can move upper monster down 1 space (only this move shortens distance). While range between either monster and Summoned Stone is 1 you cannot move it any more.

If you first move lower monster (M) up-right, then...
+---+---+---+---+
| | N | | |
+---+---+---+---+ M - moved monster
| | M | X | | N - monster jet to move
+---+---+---+---+
| | | S | | X - obstacle
+---+---+---+---+ S - summoned stone
| | | | |
+---+---+---+---+

I don't know.
OK. Now I see legitimacy of questioning "toward" meaning.

If toward means that move must lower the range then you cannot move second monster N because the only space which lowers range is the space occupied by M (you can count range through other monsters). And since this space is adjacent to S you couldn't move further, but then 2 monsters on 1 space is not allowed, thus you couldn't move N.

Second question arise. Can you move monsters through monsters with Gravity Spike?

At this point I think that some designer's explanation would be needed.
Someone should explain what "toward" means and also I think that someone should see situation shown above and explain how to resolve it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Yellen
msg tools
Also, in your example, what if M and N were part of the same monster group and those were the starting positions. Could you move M down one and then move N down one? Technically moving M is an illegal move, but it makes room for N to move which ultimately ends with more monsters closer to the stone.

I agree... I think we need some official clarification. Thanks for your input.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule Question:
Quote:
With Gravity Spike monsters are moved "toward" a summoned stone.
What conditions must this movement fulfill to be "toward"?
Can it move monster through other monster?
Answer:
Justin Kemppainen wrote:
The Geomancer must move the monster in a manner that does not increase the number of spaces between the monster and the Summoned Stone. "Lateral" movement is possible in this case.

He didn't answer last question but I think it's no different than any other movement.
Quote:
figures may move (...) through friendly figures. A hero treats all other heroes as friendly figures, while a monster treats all other monsters as friendly figures. A figure cannot end its movement in the same space as another figure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignipes wrote:
Rule Question:
Quote:
With Gravity Spike monsters are moved "toward" a summoned stone.
What conditions must this movement fulfill to be "toward"?
Can it move monster through other monster?
Answer:
Justin Kemppainen wrote:
The Geomancer must move the monster in a manner that does not increase the number of spaces between the monster and the Summoned Stone. "Lateral" movement is possible in this case.

This is obviously some new meaning of the word "toward" I was not previously acquainted with.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Terah wrote:
Ignipes wrote:
Rule Question:
Quote:
With Gravity Spike monsters are moved "toward" a summoned stone.
What conditions must this movement fulfill to be "toward"?
Can it move monster through other monster?
Answer:
Justin Kemppainen wrote:
The Geomancer must move the monster in a manner that does not increase the number of spaces between the monster and the Summoned Stone. "Lateral" movement is possible in this case.

This is obviously some new meaning of the word "toward" I was not previously acquainted with.


Absolutely agree.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Yellen
msg tools
Thanks Dawid. Just curious what the source of that quote is -- was that posted to another forum that I missed?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Yellen
msg tools
Okay, just to make things even more complicated -- what if there is a door between the stone and the monster? Normally when counting distance (like for phrases such as "within 3 spaces") you don't count through doors because the squares aren't considered adjacent. So by the letter of the rule the following move should be possible (although I admit that thematically it seems odd):



Of course if the door were opened this would not be possible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
myellen wrote:
Thanks Dawid. Just curious what the source of that quote is -- was that posted to another forum that I missed?
www.fantasyflightgames.com > More... > Custommer Service > Rules Questionss

myellen wrote:
what if there is a door between the stone and the monster?
You got it right.
You cannot count through closed door, and you have to count "the other way" around.
Not the first unreal situation in the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.