United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
Wherever You Go, There You Are
badge
With no certain future, and no purpose other than to prevail
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so my only beef with the game so far is that I can't roll a success on the space race to save my life, and I have ended up with three scoring cards several times.

With three scoring cards, you are basically toast, as you are spending half your turn just dropping a scoring card, while your opponent takes over the game.

How about a rule that you can hold a scoring card if you draw more than 2?

On the space race, would it be fair to get a +1 for each point your OPS is over the required amount (i.e. play a 4OPS when you only need a 2OPS, so you get a +2 to the roll).

This would at least give you the possibility to influence the space race when you fall behind from bad rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gryfon wrote:
On the space race, would it be fair to get a +1 for each point your OPS is over the required amount (i.e. play a 4OPS when you only need a 2OPS, so you get a +2 to the roll).

This would at least give you the possibility to influence the space race when you fall behind from bad rolling.

Of course, you mean -1, as +1 would make it harder to roll a success.

Gryfon wrote:
With three scoring cards, you are basically toast, as you are spending half your turn just dropping a scoring card, while your opponent takes over the game.

How about a rule that you can hold a scoring card if you draw more than 2?

You can play it anyway you (and your opponent) want. But to start adding rules to soften bad hands (or powerful cards) is a slippery slope. More than most CDGs, this game is about dealing with crisis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The space race rule is fair enough, I don't think the procedures there are sacred...

Apart from my Card Drafting variant, which is fairly unsatisfactory, I'm not sure what one can do about getting 3 (or more) Scoring Cards. If it is turn 1, or 4 or 8, you have the blessing that your opponent doesn't know about them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely in favor of being allowed to modify the space race in some way, having failed 7 attempts in a row in the last game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have three scoring cards, I think playing one as your headline becomes pretty compelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing a scoring card as a headline has its risks. As USSR I played Europe scoring as my turn 1 headline, and my opponent played East European Unrest- 8 points right there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Gryfon wrote:

My problem with this rule would be that usually you discard in the Space Race the best cards of the opposing superpower; this means that you should already prefer to discard a 4 OPs rather than a 2 OPs (both with events exclusively for the opponent) since probably the 4 OPs has a more powerful event (I write "probably" because the value of some cards seems "wrong"... e.g., "N.A.T.O.").
I'd prefer your rule in this way: "if you discard a card with a neutral (or your) event, you get +1 to the roll for each OP more than the minimum required for the attempt".

Gryfon wrote:

An alternative would be that for each failed attempt, you get +1 to the next roll ("trials and errors"). To mark it, place an influence marker next to your Space-Race marker. This bonus is cumulative (double failure gives a total of +2 to the third roll, etc.). When your marker moves, the bonus is zeroed (discard your influence on the Race track).

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:

An alternative would be that for each failed attempt, you get +1 to the next roll ("trials and errors"). To mark it, place an influence marker next to your Space-Race marker. This bonus is cumulative (double failure gives a total of +2 to the third roll, etc.). When your marker moves, the bonus is zeroed (discard your influence on the Race track).

I like this idea alot. Once again, its a -1 to the next roll, tho.

I was playing the old PC game "Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space" this week, and that is how they do it there too. If you do a launch and fail, you still get to keep a bonus to your next launch from the lessons learned in failure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.