Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2729577#it...

Conclusion:

My honest assessment is Res Publica is part of a game. Which can be okay if the game is short enough. This game is just the trading mechanism from Settlers of Catan. The entire game is about trading with the other players to collect sets of cards.

We probably had more fun playing this game than any other game we have played, but very little of the fun came from the game itself. The group thought the game was silly to the point that the entire game became quite silly.

The cards are top of the line and the art work is good. The rules can be digest in minutes and the scoring is very easy.

For my taste, there wasn't enough game in the box. I am not really that big on trading games as one player can get picked on a lot (at least in my main group).

This is a purge for me.

Components:

The components that make up this game is two decks of cards (and some scoring cards). The cards are top notch and should last a long time. The art work on the cards is actually pretty good, although I found myself only looking at the icons (and not the art).

The cards are very, very good.

Rule Book:

As is normal with Queen games, the rule book does a great job of explaining the game. The rules are very easy to understand and you can be playing within minutes. The only tricky rule is what you can say when trading and what you cannot.

The book is full color and has great examples.

Flow of the Game:

The first thing you do on a turn is trade:

1. You can offer - i.e. say what you are giving up. One Viking/ Two Lombard

2. Ask for what you need - i.e. tell people what you need. Two Goth.

By listening to what people ask for and what they offer, you can find who are good trading partners and what they may be able to give you back. You can accept a trade from any of the other players. You can only make one offer, so there is not any back and forth.

The second thing you do on a turn is play your sets:

You can play 5 of the same people to get a settlement.
You can play 5 of the same civilization card to get a town.
You can also play 2 books to get a library (makes playing a set to 4 cards).
You can play two X to get a church.

Each of these cards (except library) give you VP at end of the game. At the end of your turn, you draw a people card (and a civilization card for each settlement you have).

So a turn goes:

1. Trade
2. Play sets
3. Draw Cards

Most of the game (and interaction) comes from the trading step.

Should I buy this game?:

No, this is a game you can likely pass on. If you really like the trading aspect and want an entire game to be about trading, this you will be in heaven. I need a little more to my games than that. I'm all for a simple game, but the trading mechanism isn't for me. With that said, we had a blast playing the game, but we felt it was in spite of the game.

Your mileage may vary.

Purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game. It is crisp, clear, and full of interesting decisions based on the limited exchange of information. If you want to play Pit, I say go for it. But everyone that I have introduced to the game (back to the Hexagames version) who understood the game liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This game is just the trading mechanism from Settlers of Catan

No, it's not. The point of the game is the codified trading and the deliberately limited information you can send, unlike Settlers (and before it, Civilization) which allow free information flow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Kaiser
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:
I love this game. It is crisp, clear, and full of interesting decisions based on the limited exchange of information. If you want to play Pit, I say go for it. But everyone that I have introduced to the game (back to the Hexagames version) who understood the game liked it.

Still one of my wife's favorites!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:

Truth be told, we had a lot of fun. It brought out a lot of interaction for us. Yet, we usually play a tad (not much) deeper games for us. It was not a bad game, just not for our game group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Quote:
This game is just the trading mechanism from Settlers of Catan

No, it's not. The point of the game is the codified trading and the deliberately limited information you can send, unlike Settlers (and before it, Civilization) which allow free information flow.

Okay, but I thought my example told people who have not played it sort of what it is like.

In Settlers, you can ask and ask until you get a deal (there is barter back and forth).

In this, you get to only offer half of the deal and it is take it or leave (just once chance).

How it is the same? You trade cards and use those cards to do things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
In this, you get to only offer half of the deal and it is take it or leave (just once chance).

Oh, no. Not jut one chance. You make an offer. Then next turn you make another offer. And the players who have been paying attention build up a picture. Really simple case is I offer a Langobard. Next turn I ask for a Greek. Who's going to get that Greek? Yes, the person who offers a Langobard. Now start constructively using and and or. I offer a Hun and a Viking. Probably won't get what I want. But I've told people two cards I have. Now I offer a Hun. In return you offer a Hun. Huh? Silly deal. But everyone now knows you have a Hun too. You say you want a Greek, I say I want a Viking. Maybe I luck out. But regardless, everyone knows I want a Viking, and I didn't have to waste one of my offers letting people know that. And so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
When I teach the game, I explain it as one primarily of information exchange. This is most obvious the first time I offer someone a Langobard for their Langobard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.