United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
This is part forty two of Germany's Future Lies East, a series of session reports presenting a play of a campaign game of Avalon Hill's Guns of August.

Weather
The April weather roll in on the Spring row, and the resulting 5 means that both fronts will continue to be hampered by Mud: reduce all Movement Allowances by one Movement Point. Reduce the non-rail portion of a supply path to four hexes.

West: Mud
East: Mud

April 1916 – Central Powers Turn

Time is running out on Russia. With the last Morale roll, the modifiers for the roll at the end of this month combined with the additional lost cities assures that Russia will surrender no matter what at the end of the turn. Since the last few Russians protect the objectives from capture this turn the Entente will have just two combat phases to take Antwerp. Florian will roll his entrained, veteran units from the east upto the front lines against France. This turn will be a simple maximization of defense in the west, and as rapid as possible advance in the east.

The East

The Austrians are the most severely affected by the mud. Last month’s advance has now placed them beyond their supply lines. They will be halved during any combat this month, but will be resupplied before the end of the CP turn because the RR engineer is diligently changing the gauge of the Tsar’s rails to a more Kaiserly set. The supply will arrive as promised. More units rail eastward, and those that can’t soldier on even though victory in Russia is assured; everyone loves a parade.

The only east front attack is against the Ru 50Inf guarding the rail outside Riga. It’s such a high odds attack that there’s no reason not to. All the other troops just shout epithets at the remaining Tsarist’s and canoodle the local maidens. The 50Inf is easily routed without loss.

The Balkans

With Russia doomed, the Romanians head south to support Turkey. The mud forces two units to be left behind at Odessa, which must be garrisoned or Florian will lose a replacement point. The city is five hexes away from the railhead, so a dance of supplied and hungry unit occurs each mud and snow month. If not the unsupplied unit risks elimination if there’s three bad weather months in a row. Otherwise the Emperor and his allies are content with the situation and make no attacks against poor, misguided Greece and its British puppet-masters.

The Italian Front

With last turn’s Italian debacle in its siege of Trieste, the Austrians move to take advantage of the situation and secure their position. This is a prudent move just in case Antwerp falls. And it’s a safe move because Austria now has excess units. The counter attack aims to end any thought of Entente attack on Trieste and instead turn the table and besiege Venice.

First the Austrians attack the It 11Inf from the north. This is a 1:1 attack that hopes to clear the hex for advance so as to make the next attack on T22 a no retreat situation for the Italians. It will succeed on any roll >2. Florian rolls a 3 and happily takes a loss so as to advance into the hex.

Next the Austrians set to kill the encircled units and make a Big Push attack on T22. The initial attack is set at 3:1 with a +1 for artillery and it results in a bloody DX. This costs the attackers its Fort Engineer and an artillery as well as an infantry. The FE is of no concern as there is no present need for the CP to be on the defensive but the artillery takes away the modifier for the next round’s attack. Still it’s another 3:1 and a “6” is a clean DE. Venice is now besieged.

The West

The Kaiser’s might grows ever stronger. The enemy’s advance into K09 is weak but a threat that must be quashed mercilessly. There is also the long term annoyance of the French salient at L11. Even though the Entente units start each turn there isolated, a months long dance has been occurring where supplied units are cycled in and the hungry boys fall back to get some rest and food. This hex threatens Metz and it too will be tested. The line is packed and the reserves stretch from the North Sea to Luxembourg. Germany even puts reserves at the beach north of Bremen, again as simple good practice.

The hard earned French hex at K09 is pummeled at 6:1 and the unit there is cleanly eliminated. Antwerp is that much more a difficult target. The attack on the offending French salient is declared a Big Push. It has enough artillery to negate the rough terrain and still get a +1 on the 3:1. The result is a DD, but since there’s no retreat it’s as good as a DE. This makes the second round a 4:1 +1 and a true DE results. The Kaiser’s offer for terms is rejected publicly but there are rumors of back door talks. Talk amongst the troops is home for summer. No one wants to spend any more time in these horrible trenches.

Next session @ http://boardgamegeek.com/article/12967889#12967889
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Frank
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
The attack against T22 (I'd call it the hex NE of Venice, not everyone has a map handy) doesn't seem legal as written.

1. It appears to only have two defending combat units, but big-push attacks can only be declared against a hex with three defending combat units.

2. A DX result will end the combat with all defenders (and an awful lot of attackers) eliminated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. This is a rule that we keep forgetting about. It went unnoticed and the play stands as called.

That or I misread the log file and it was two separate attacks. I'll check later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fangotango
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T22 was attacked properly, and not using a Big Push. The two results were for separate attacks against each of the defending units. Having been made aware of the three-combat-unit requirement to justify a Big Push last game, I am very much aware of it this game. I don't think I once used it improperly this time round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
Working on next session, might have to wait one more day. Sorry but there was a file naming snafu that Florian and I are trying to figure out so I give an accurate account of the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fangotango wrote:
T22 was attacked properly, and not using a Big Push. The two results were for separate attacks against each of the defending units. Having been made aware of the three-combat-unit requirement to justify a Big Push last game, I am very much aware of it this game. I don't think I once used it improperly this time round.

Congrats on the baby

And thanks to Patrick for taking over this most excellent series of AAR!!!

(BTW: where is that counter from, Patrick?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
That counter is a pre-release teaser from Matrix Games' version of World in Flames. I picked the P-61 because the local WWII air museum is attempting to restore one to flight status. I thought it looked cool too.

I should note I incorrectly stated that the national would take place at the end of April. They happen in May.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.