Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'd like to try out the Print and Play for this game, but one thing I've noticed is that that all of the card fronts are at the beginning of the file and the card backs are at the end of the file. I was wondering if there was an easy way to re-arrange the PDF file so that it would alternate the front and back sides of the cards (I'd also need to duplicate the pages for the card backs, as there's only one of each). That way, I can just go into FedEx Office and tell the printer to print my file double-sided with minimal hassle (normally I'd just print at home, but there's an awfully lot of black in these files, plus I get a discount there).

So do any of you experienced PnP'ers know of any good free software options that will allow me to do this? Seems silly that I'd have to shell out $300 to buy Adobe Acrobat in order to do this.

EDIT: I searched some old threads and found a suggestion for an open source software called Scribus. However, that didn't appear to open the PDF file correctly. All I'm seeing is a few random lines and words, with no images. So it doesn't look like that one will work for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tankbot
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I use PDFTK Builder. It's open source and free.

1) What you want to do is use the split function. It will break the PDF into single PDF files, one per page.
2) Copy/paste PDFs with the card backs because you are going to pair them back up with the card fronts.
3) Then use collate, which allows you to re-order the files and then reassemble them into a single PDF file.

Also, just a heads up I noticed that the PDF is A4 size (8.3 x 11.7 inches). I don't know if Fedex/Kinkos carries that type of paper. So if you print to fit on a Letter paper (8.5 x 11 inches) the cards of course will be smaller than intended.

Let me know how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic! That little tool worked perfectly.

And nice catch on the A4 size, I hadn't noticed that. I'm sure that they carry that paper there, although I was planning on bringing my own letter size cardstock from home to save money. I'm sure the cards will look fine if I just tell the printer to shrink to fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bamjd_tankbot wrote:
I use PDFTK Builder. It's open source and free.

1) What you want to do is use the split function. It will break the PDF into single PDF files, one per page.
2) Copy/paste PDFs with the card backs because you are going to pair them back up with the card fronts.
3) Then use collate, which allows you to re-order the files and then reassemble them into a single PDF file.

Also, just a heads up I noticed that the PDF is A4 size (8.3 x 11.7 inches). I don't know if Fedex/Kinkos carries that type of paper. So if you print to fit on a Letter paper (8.5 x 11 inches) the cards of course will be smaller than intended.

Let me know how it goes!

Man that thing is neat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Brownridge
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty much what I did with this PnP and the one for Deck of Thieves.

But I used the Extract page and Insert from file functions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.