5 Posts

Blood Bowl (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Third edition components same as Second? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Second Edition Blood Bowl. I thought about buying the Third Edition, but are the components for the Second Edition the same? Is the field the same size (number of squares, etc.)?

In other words, if I just download the Third Edition rules, will it work to use my Second Edition components?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gousis
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only difference is the endzone is only one square instead of two. If you look at the pictures I posted you can see how I added grass to the last row of the endzone and spikes to make it look better and still be useful. The other thing is there is something called wide zones now that only matters for kickoffs. The wide zone is 4 squares from the side on either side. I also used the fake grass to mark the wide zones. But all the other pieces including the passing template are the same.

I would hold off buying a new edition as a new BB will be comming out late 2006 or 2007. They are playesting a new rule set now. Don't worry though it is not much different from 3rd edition or LRB. Just balances league rules and fouling a bit so it is still worth learning LRB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmb
Where did you hear about the new edition? Will it be sold as a boxed set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frog,
I know it's been a while since you asked, but I wanted to chime in. First, the removal of the 2nd line of the endzone is signifigant because it makes camping a player in the endzone very dangerous. They'll more than likely go crowd surfing. Of course playing on a 2nd edition board you can just ignore the 2nd line of the endzone to match 3rd edition rules.

Second, the 2nd edition board is smaller than the 3rd edition board! They both use the same range ruler for passing and here's how it corresponds to spaces on the board (approximate):

2nd Edition 3rd Edition
Quick Pass 5 4
Short Pass 9 8
Long Pass 13 11
Long Bomb 16 14

So, passes would go farther on a 2nd edition board.

Phil, I don't think GW has offically said that they're going to rerelease Blood Bowl with the new rules in 2007, but they have released the rules and the general feeling is that a new set will be available with all the same parts (box, teams, rulers, etc) but new rules. The new rules make minor changes to the game itself but overhaul the league system (a big improvement in my opinion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smith
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also doubt they'll be a 4th edition. GW's financial performance has not been good recently as the LOTR bubble burst (see their investor relations if you're really geeky!) so I can't see them investing in a game which does not sell much. GW had started remaking figures (see the new humans released around a year ago) but this seems to have ground to a complete halt.

There will be new rules and they are already well under playtest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.