6 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Tournament Idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game isn't exactly, perfectly balanced between Corp and Runner, this method means that whoever coin flips for the stronger side has an advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when I asked her why she wore that ribbon,
badge
She said, "It's for the Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!" Wembley! Wembley! We’re the famous Arsenal and we’re going to Wembley!
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:
I've been following the discussion about the recent changes to the tournament structure, and I can see both sides. It got me thinking about possible structures. What if, instead of playing as both the corporation and the runner, you only played one side? You'd be required to have one of each deck, but at the start of a match it was randomly determined which side you'd play. There'd be no need for multiple scoring methods when moving from Swiss rounds to Elimination rounds. It would also eliminate the undoubtedly high number of draws where going to see from the recent changes. Just a thought.

Given an ideal world with no downtime between matches, I'd be in favor of a system like this. It would never work if you simply flipped a coin. There would have to be a tourney management program that moved you through Swiss rounds and assigned corp/runner in such a way that everyone played both sides an even number of times. Or as close to that as is possible.

I also really like the effect that this would have on the strength of schedule tie-breaker. You'd play way more people, so the variance would be lower, meaning you'd be less negatively affected by randomly being paired with the worst player in round 1. You would likewise be less affected by playing against opponents who drop out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai Tsekov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Still the game is not balanced over C vs. R but over assymetric play. And given it is a key selling point, that would never change. My only problem is that I have to keep track of C/R wins loses of everyone, plus the pairings adjustment house rules I need to implement to avoid trashing afterwards due to a single pairing that was "unfair" to someone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrTall wrote:
If the game isn't exactly, perfectly balanced between Corp and Runner, this method means that whoever coin flips for the stronger side has an advantage.

Chess is 55:45 (more or less) unbalanced towards white and such system is used, of course not with a coin flip before each game, but assuring each player plays similar number of games each colour. And noone sees a problem with this "unbalance", even though the game has many professional level players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ber -
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 I really like your idea. Obviously it can't work in elimination rounds due to any game balance skew (no matter how small), but in swiss it would potentially be more fun getting to play twice as many opponents. Maybe worth trying for some extra tournament nights, even if not used for regionals etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.