Popular Tags: [View All]
Giacomo Peroni
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've something to ask about the PDS.
In our last game, one of my opponents, who developed Deep Space Cannon Technology, used his PDS in a way that I'm not sure is correct.
I conquered his HS, and in 2 of the adjacent systems he had 3 PDS. He activated, during his turn, one of those two system to shoot me with the PDS one time, then activated the other to shoot me a second time, then he activated the HS to shoot me a third time, resulting in the annihilation of my fleet without employing any ship. Is this correct?
I thought that you can fire with your PDS only to a ship if you activate a system in which those ship are, or if the enemy activates and move ships in a system in range, not if you activate an adjacent system.
Can someone confirm?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct, and your opponent was wrong.

From page 11 of the rulebook (emphasis mine):

Quote:
3) PDS FIRE
After the active player has finished moving his ships into the activated system, enemy PDS in range may fire at the active player's fleet. For every "hit," the activating player must remove a casualty from the fleet (note that Dreadnoughts and War Suns can take one "Damage" before they are destroyed, see page 30).

After enemy PDS units have fired, any PDS in range owned by the active player may then fire at enemy ships in the activated system. For more details on PDS units, see page 29.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Papageorgiou
Greece
Larisa
Larisa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes he played it wrong. Activating a system in range of your PDS allows these PDS to fire to the activated system and not to any in range system.

So for your example case, your opponents activations, would allow him to fire once in the HS when he activated it, and once in each one of his PDS systems for the other activations. Not three times in the HS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Peroni
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for clearing my doubts. Seems that we played the game wrong, then... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyatt Smith
United States
North Platte
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No the flip side of the coin is...every time the system is activated any PDS in range can fire...so your opponent can activate the system just to fire his PDS at you, you activate it to build/move, he can fire again and if there are other player(s) who want to see more firing they can activate it as well so he can fire again.

I have seen more than one game were a player with Deep Space Cannon setup next to Rex play kingmaker with others squabbiling for the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
JadeDragon wrote:
No the flip side of the coin is...every time the system is activated any PDS in range can fire...

With restrictions. The activating player may shoot at anyone in the activated system, while everyone else may shoot at the activating player in the activated system.

JadeDragon wrote:
so your opponent can activate the system just to fire his PDS at you, you activate it to build/move, he can fire again

Correct for both situations.

JadeDragon wrote:
and if there are other player(s) who want to see more firing they can activate it as well so he can fire again.

Incorrect. A third party may activate the system, but all conflict has to be between the third party and other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.