Subject: Plans for updated rulebook? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Coleman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the large number of ambiguities that the rulebook has, and the number of timing questions that are all over the BGG and Brotherwise forums - are there plans for an updated rulebook?

I'd like to see some official rulings on a lot of these issues. I'd really like to see a proper phase breakdown with 100% clear indications on what actions can be used/played when.

Sure the FAQ post is a good start, but even still that leaves gaps and some of the answers are 'interpretations'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny ONeal
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben, you chose the right time to ask this question! We're working on rulebook revisions for our third printing, and we'd love to make the game's timing rules clearer. The BGG forums were an invaluable resource when we wrote the original rules, so I'm hoping we can enlist forum members' help again as we revise the rules.

Here are some of the aspects of timing I find myself having to explain to new players, or that I see being asked/answered in forum posts:

- You are the "active player" when it's your turn to play a Room face-down, or when Adventurers are moving through your dungeon.

- You may play a Spell or Room Ability when another player is active, but they can react with their own Spells and Room Abilities, and those resolve before your effect.

- The Build phase ends when Rooms are revealed. Build effects ("When you build this Room...") and Level Up powers take place immediately, in XP order. No Spells or activated abilities may be played until the Adventure Phase begins.

- Each time a Hero enters a Room, apply the Hero's abilities (and/or Item abilities) first, then any ongoing effects from the Room, then damage. Once a Hero has been damaged by a Room, that Hero moves to the next Room.

- Before a Hero moves to a new Room, any player may use a Spell or ability. (Technically, you should pause between each Room to see if another player has an action to declare that will affect the next Room.)

With a printed rulebook we have to strike a balance between precision and approachability, so I'd love to avoid making the revised rulebook much longer. But if any of the above statements seem crucial to you guys, we can find room for them.

Any feedback that folks here can share would be very helpful. What's missing from the timing rules? Are there any explanations in the rulebook that are currently confusing/misleading? Any place where we could actually streamline explanations and improve clarity in the process?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Coleman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, great news!

I've explained the game to several people now (of differing levels of gaming experience) I'd say the first 3 definitely came up every time I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyONeal wrote:
Ben, you chose the right time to ask this question! We're working on rulebook revisions for our third printing, and we'd love to make the game's timing rules clearer. The BGG forums were an invaluable resource when we wrote the original rules, so I'm hoping we can enlist forum members' help again as we revise the rules.

Here are some of the aspects of timing I find myself having to explain to new players, or that I see being asked/answered in forum posts:

- You are the "active player" when it's your turn to play a Room face-down, or when Adventurers are moving through your dungeon.

- You may play a Spell or Room Ability when another player is active, but they can react with their own Spells and Room Abilities, and those resolve before your effect.

- The Build phase ends when Rooms are revealed. Build effects ("When you build this Room...") and Level Up powers take place immediately, in XP order. No Spells or activated abilities may be played until the Adventure Phase begins.

- Each time a Hero enters a Room, apply the Hero's abilities (and/or Item abilities) first, then any ongoing effects from the Room, then damage. Once a Hero has been damaged by a Room, that Hero moves to the next Room.

- Before a Hero moves to a new Room, any player may use a Spell or ability. (Technically, you should pause between each Room to see if another player has an action to declare that will affect the next Room.)

With a printed rulebook we have to strike a balance between precision and approachability, so I'd love to avoid making the revised rulebook much longer. But if any of the above statements seem crucial to you guys, we can find room for them.

Any feedback that folks here can share would be very helpful. What's missing from the timing rules? Are there any explanations in the rulebook that are currently confusing/misleading? Any place where we could actually streamline explanations and improve clarity in the process?

Thanks for the post Johnny, these clarifications have helped me with the timing. IMO every one of these points should be included in any future edition of the rules - you could take the whole post and just print up a FAQ/Timing questions page and slap it in the back of the rulebook.

A card sized, detailed player aid/turn sequence would also be a great addition to the game for future printings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hansson
Sweden
Arlöv
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyONeal wrote:

This I had completely missed. Good to know! We often hold spells until we saw what the other players built so that it could be dealt with if needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.