Hide
8 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Four balanced ways to play 1 vs 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wolfie von Dutch
msg tools
Although the rather significant diplomacy element disappears this way, the chess-like strategy element seems best when you play 1 on 1. There are four possibilities to have a great 1 on 1 battle. Try it and share your opinion!

Here they are:

You team up Stark and Tyrell, against either Lannister + Baratheon, Lannister + Martell, or Greyjoy + martell.

First of all, what counts for every one of these options is that I think it is better to play with the upcoming three Westeros cards open. This reduces the luck factor. Also don't use ToB cards.

How To Play With Open Westeros Cards:
This is an official variant for the first edition, but they didn't bother to re-suggest this possibility for the 2nd edition. Once the I,II, and III cards resolve, three new cards are opened to take the new third spot of their respective pile. This significantly increases the depth of the game in terms of strategy.

Second of all, with all of the 1-on-1 options we use an overlay on Seagard. It downgrades Seagard to a castle and gives it a port, so that Stark can get a hold of the Ironman's Bay or at least raid it. It's on this forum, but I forgot where I found it (please post if you know where it is).

3rd, having only one player know what wildling attack is coming is really just too strong in one vs one, and adds a load of randomness. The Raven is strong enough when this advantage is reduced in usefulness. So when you play 1 vs 1, paying 1 power token should allow you to see what is coming.

The victory condition becomes having 12 castles/strongholds in total.

Stark starts with an extra ship in the Bay of Ice, Tyrell with extra ship in the West Summer Sea, and Martell (if it participates) with an extra ship in the East Summer Sea.

Since the map is large as you will find, every house will get one extra unit in their pool of every kind (one ship, footman, knight, and siege). Just take them from the remaining two houses, you will find a way to prevent it from getting confusing.

Neutral Armies:
Place a 5-point neutral army on Seagard. It is a trophy, and it should require some effort to get it even if its not a stronghold. Use the 2-garrison of Dragonstone and a 3-point neutral army as indication.

Place the three point garrison on Oldtown, 6 on Eyrie, 5 on Kings landing.

ALTERATIONS DEPENDING ON WHAT HOUSES YOU PLAY WITH:

IF YOU PLAY WITH LANNISTER:

Block Pyke.

IF YOU PLAY WITH GREYJOY:

Place a 5-neutral on Lannisport. Use the Sunspear neutral army.

Turn Riverrun into a castle by putting the Lannister Victory track Icon onto the Stronghold.

IF YOU PLAY WITH BARATHEON:

Use 4-point neutral army in Storms End.
Block Starfall, Yronwood, and Salt shore.
Put the 5-point neutral army on Sunspear.

IF YOU PLAY WITH MARTELL

Doran Martell does not place enemy at the bottom of an influence track, but puts him one spot backwards.

Put the 4-point army of Storms End on Crackclaw point instead.

Put a 5-point neutral army in Dragonstone.

--------------------

This way 1-on-1 battles are possibly even more fun than multiplayer. To be honest, I think this setup is great for 4-player battles as well. So please let me know what you think, and if you happen to test this setup for four players I would also be curious to know the results. In 4-player games it seems fine to me to use the regular strength of the Doran Martell card.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...um, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good ideas.

I never thought I would be tempted by 2-player AGOT...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie von Dutch
msg tools
PaulEvans wrote:
Some good ideas.

I never thought I would be tempted by 2-player AGOT...

Haha yeah I used to think that too. Now I catch myself hoping no one figures out me and a mate are about to start an exciting battle, somewhat afraid that they want to join

All of the options I presented are lots of fun, but somehow the duel of Stark and Tyrell versus Greyjoy and Martell in this setup is especially satisfying. So many possible tricks and strategies . I can play this again and again, the power struggles will be unique every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to try some of these out if i get the chance. I dont have many gaming mates so dont get to play this very often. Next time there is only 2 of us I'll have a go. I'll keep you posted...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wardle
United Kingdom
Petworth
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sorry to bump this thread after almost a month but I have also been thinking about a 2 player variant. I was thinking each player controls 3 houses but 2 probably makes more sense.

My main problem is bidding. How have you done this? Is it as simple as bidding twice for each of your houses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfie von Dutch
msg tools
Bidding is indeed very straightforward. Just take tokens in one hand for one house, and the other hand for the other house. It helps to fake grabbing movements, so the opponent really doesn't know what you took into which hand. The tactical aspect of bidding is quite interesting one on one, as it becomes possible to to generate a combined strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jed friedman
msg tools
What about blocking off the North (Narrow Sea, Eyrie, MoM, Twins, Seagard, Ironman's bay and Pyke) and playing Lannister and Martel vs. Tyrell and Baratheon?

Or

Block off the South (ESS, Sea of Dorne, Boneway, Dornish Marches, High Garden, WSS) and play Stark and Lannister vs. Greyjoy and Baratheon?

Has anybody tried either of these variants for 2-players, or something similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matheus Bueno
Brazil
flag msg tools
We played twice (Greyjoy + Martell and Lannister + Martell) and the games were very fun and well balanced here. Both times Stark + Tyrell lost in round 7/8 but very close. Thanks for the post...

Sorry for my bad english

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.