Hide
10 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Activating a monster rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pygmy shrew
msg tools
Some OL cards refer to "activating a monster", such as basic set dash. As I recall, overlord has to activate monsters in a group. Does this mean he has to play all the cards to that group before any of them moved? Is it allowed to play many such cards to different monsters of same group in same turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10295609#10295609
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you may.

You decide to activate a monster group, then you activate each individual monster in that group (in any order).
So a group activation is a declaration: "I'm going to activate all the monsters in this group consecutively. I may decide to skip the activation of some of them, but doing so I give up activating them for this turn."
A monster activation is something like: "I'm going to activate this figure."

Edit: I stand corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
Yes, you may.

You decide to activate a monster group, then you activate each individual monster in that group (in any order).
So a group activation is a declaration: "I'm going to activate all the monsters in this group consecutively. I may decide to skip the activation of some of them, but doing so I give up activating them for this turn."
A monster activation is something like: "I'm going to activate this figure."

Technically you can't skip activating any of them. You may choose to take no actions with a monster, but you still have to activate every monster. This makes a difference for something like First Strike, where if you were able to not activate a monster, you could keep it from happening.

To the OPs first question, you do not have to play Dash/Frenzy immediately upon activating a monster. You can perform two basic actions with a monster and then decide you want to play Dash/Frenzy on it. However, once you activate a new monster, you can't go back to a previously activated monster to play cards on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Dexter345 wrote:

Technically you can't skip activating any of them. You may choose to take no actions with a monster, but you still have to activate every monster. This makes a difference for something like First Strike, where if you were able to not activate a monster, you could keep it from happening.

Activate Monsters:
The overlord activates each of his monster
groups, one at a time, in any order he chooses. Monsters are grouped
together by type, and a monster group can contain both minion and
master monsters (see “Monsters” on page 16).
page 8

Monsters are activated by groups. In other words, all monsters of one
type must be activated before moving on to the next group.
The overlord player must activate all monster groups during his turn, even if the activated monsters perform no actions.
page 11

So this basically says that if one monster in the group is activated, then technically all monsters in that group are also activated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not how I interpret it, no. A monster is not activated until the Overlord says he is activated, but the Overlord must activate all of the monsters in any one group before moving on to the next group, and must complete any one monster's activation before moving on to the next monster.

I will note that after a quick search I couldn't find anything in the rule book explicitly stating that you must complete a monster's activation before activating another monster within the same group. If there is such a ruling (rulebook/official FAQ/unofficial FAQ), then it would be useful here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I found this on page 10:

Quote:
The majority of the overlord’s turn is spent activating his monsters.
The overlord player may activate each of his monsters on the map once
during his turn.
He may perform up to two actions with each monster
he activates. Each monster may only perform one attack action per
activation.

Emphasis is mine. But this makes it sound like the overlord does not need to activate each individual monster in a group. Or it seems to contradict what it says on page 11

Quote:
The overlord player must activate all monster groups during his turn, even if the activated monsters perform no actions.

But the last quote really only talks about monster groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RagsMcKay wrote:
Quote:
The overlord player may activate each of his monsters on the map once during his turn.
As I read it, "may" in above-cited sentence doesn't imply "may not".
It goes hand in hand with "once"
i.e. not twice, not any more.

RagsMcKay wrote:
Quote:
But the last quote really only talks about monster groups.
Activating monster group consist of activating each monster in that group, isn't it (?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
To me it would make much more sense if it said "may only" instead of just "may", as just "may" in mind mind implies that the OL may or may not as the OL deems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Monsters are activated by groups. In other words, all monsters of one type must be activated before moving on to the next group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.