Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gameplayer guy
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just learned about this game and it looks interesting. Does this game scale well with 2 players? Most of the reviews I read suggest 3 or 4 players works best. Does time to play change with more players?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, the game plays well with any number of players!

With two players, you can coordinate your actions and classes of your characters, and work together.

I think that because of the game's design, with the power points depending on players number, it can scale good with two players also!

I even play solo, with two hands (meaning two players), and it is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hill
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the games that I have played it seems to work best with three or four players.
I have only played a few games with two,five or six players.
The two player games seemed very easy while the five and six player games were very brutal but I have not played that many games with those numbers.I need to play it more with those numbers.
We have played a lot of three and four player games and we win more than we lose but it is always VERY close to going either way.
The last two player game that I played we tried a variant (which I believe was mentioned by the designer) that the heroism cards are one shot cards.When you spend them for the resource on the card it goes back to the center pile of heroism cards.I REALLY liked this.
For us,the game needs to be harder so I am very curious to try this variant more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It works OK with 2 players, but you can get more interesting combos with more players, so when we play with 2 players, we play 2 decks each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays well with two, but as Robert mentioned is a bit on the easy side. There are a number of variants you can play with two players to make it more challenging. We like to include the Cultist infiltrator cards in the traveler deck for all enemies, not just the enemies they are supposed to be used with. This accelerates the buildup of monster power points a little bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
2-player Shadowrift is easier. It's mathematically easier, in that you have more time to deckbuild in a game where deckbuilding is how you get stronger, and it's easier to coordinate actions and make sure the things you're doing are in an ideal order. If you're curious about how big that second difference is, try playing a game of Shadowrift with 3+ players where each player has to take his whole turn all at once and you aren't allowed to tell each other what your cards are in advance of deciding turn order. It is a LOT harder. Sometimes it doesn't seem like it, but that coordination can give gigantic advantages.

The game doesn't scale exactly with number of players. It's actually more of a reverse-log curve, with the shift from 2-3 being bigger than the shift from 3-4, which in turn is bigger than the shift from 4-5, etc.
This is because players can do a lot at the same time. If everyone's buying, they don't have to wait for everyone else to stop doing things. It's often useful to wait right at the start and make sure nobody's going to grant bonus cards before you get going, but after that? There's nothing to stop everyone who has 4 prowess in hand from making their buys at once.
Slight tangent:
I have never seen it matter, but the rule for who gets to buy the last of something if players can't agree is: Possession is 9/10 of the law. First player with a hand on it gets it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fun 2 players, but it seems a touch easy to build all the walls and finish that way. A third player does allow for more "role playing"--you be the tank, your buddy the econ man, and the third a healer.

It's nice how it does borrow elements from other deckbuilders but tells a better story than, say, Thunderstone, who I feel is its closest cousin. It also features some elements of its own that make the storytelling possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.