Popular Tags: [View All]
Neophitz
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My friend and I recently bought the AA war at sea. We are no strangers to the table top games, but one thing that made us both struggle to enjoy this game was keeping track of our game pieces. We were/are constantly picking up the pieces to read the name/number on the bottom. I really like this game. Has anyone been frustrated like we ha
Spoiler (click to reveal)
ve? Any "GOOD" solutions for this problem, or are we just morons? We thought about using tape and alpha/numeric etc.

Thanks for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neophitz wrote:
My friend and I recently bought the AA war at sea. We are no strangers to the table top games, but one thing that made us both struggle to enjoy this game was keeping track of our game pieces. We were/are constantly picking up the pieces to read the name/number on the bottom. I really like this game. Has anyone been frustrated like we ha
Spoiler (click to reveal)
ve? Any "GOOD" solutions for this problem, or are we just morons? We thought about using tape and alpha/numeric etc.

Thanks for your help!

Some people mount them on bases (which allows you to have the name displayed) but I prefer to simply learn what the different units look like. It's part of the fun of having miniatures, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clive holland
Thailand
wang nam khieo
nakhon ratchasima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Neo, I have exactly the same problem. I am now basing all my ships with a computer printed name tag alongside the stern of each ship. I have over 300 ships and for the life of me I cannot see me recognizing all of those.

When I play I tend to put the data cards together for the ships in the same box. So if one ship moves from that box the card will go to join who ever the ship joins.

You will get to recognaise the carriers and battleship in quite a short while, but the destroyers, well that is a different story.

I bought some 2/3mm acrylic sheets and have cut them to just a tad larger than the ships, printed out the name of the ship and glued both the name and the ship to the base. Can take some time, but in my mind well worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
It's definitely a common problem. Like Clive said, the larger ships get familiar fairly quickly, but planes & smaller ships can be a pain to ID during games. GF9 put out nice acrylic bases for the 1st two sets, but then stopped, not to mention you had to buy them by nationality and that became expensive, but they are the nicest way to base these minis that I've seen.

Otherwise use a scrap of paper with the ship name, or even a post-it note.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neophitz
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I like that thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.