Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave McAvoy
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this recently and someone tried a strategy that I did not think of before. Since the third flag was sort of on the way to the first flag (and far from the second flag), a player set their archive marker there and then after touching then second flag, killed themselves to pop back up sitting on the third flag.

Is this a legal move? I did not remember seeing anything forbidding it in the rules, but I might have missed something.

Also, I have played in the past (before I read the rules), where every player starts with an option card. I also did not see this in the rules so I assume it is a house rule?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the player touched the second flag, then his archive marker should have then moved from the third flag to the second flag. Moving your archive marker is not a choice. It automatically moves when you land on a wrench.

Starting with an option is a house rule. I usually pass out three to each player and have them choose one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Boyen
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that for one of the maps in the booklet, it is put as a special rule, that you start with an option.

In the beginning, these courses are fine to play them, but after some games, you should just use them as a guideline to create your own race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave McAvoy
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help, definitely missed the must part when looking through the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ngeunit1 wrote:

Is this a legal move? I did not remember seeing anything forbidding it in the rules, but I might have missed something.

If I remember the rules correctly that is indeed a legal move. We found this loophole also annoying and came up with a house rule: A robot successfully touching a flag automatically uploads his archive copy to that flag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Tomcat1304 wrote:
ngeunit1 wrote:

If I remember the rules correctly that is indeed a legal move. We found this loophole also annoying and came up with a house rule: A robot successfully touching a flag automatically uploads his archive copy to that flag.

This is not a house rule, but an actual rule in all North American published editions of the game.

The German edition's rulebook is an imcomprehensible embarrassment and is the cause of a great deal of rules confusion that arises about Roborally on this site. Whatever translator thought it would be a good idea to allow flags to be touched by passing over them rather than ending a register phase on them clearly never actually played the game before being asked to redesign the rulebook.

For owners of the German edition, I suggest downloading the AH rules. Then tearing up your German-edition rulebook. Then burning the torn-up pieces. Then scattering the ashes in at least 5 locations each at least a mile apart, to avoid any risk of the rulebook reconstituting itself. You can never be too safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.