designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oversight AI
Bioriod Efficiency Research
Awakening Center
Minelayer
Advanced Beta Testing

It seems to me that this card pool gives a great deal of support to Big ICE. But will the strategy be tournament worthy? More competitive than Fast Advance with the new tournament rules?

What are your thoughts?

EDIT: Whoops, don't forget Howler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Duncan
United Kingdom
Ellon
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All I really I know is that I'm going to try.

(And that it will be awesome!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric F
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
RTFM!
mbmbmbmb
Big ICE decks have been countered by Shutdown, but here's the thing; all of these tricks make your big ICE more similar to events than anything. Any big ICE you have becomes a mid-game bluff; do I have enough credits for Ichi 1.0/2.0/Heimdall/insert-bioroid-here? Or will I have some trick? Will I Tyr's Hand them? Will I throw a big fat guy on Awakening Center and make this big ICE immune to Emergency Shutdown, but only get him once? And then will I Archived Memories him back?

This could make Fast Advance fun as well. Throwing Big ICE in there, just for tricks. And, you can rez it in a pinch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
I'm just excited I might be able to take a stab at replicating my Dr Dreff deck from the original game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ignisphaseone wrote:
all of these tricks make your big ICE more similar to events than anything.

Yes! My thought exactly. In the core set big ICE was hard to rez and then stayed around. They seem to becoming more and more easy come / easy go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward K.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ignisphaseone wrote:
Will I throw a big fat guy on Awakening Center and make this big ICE immune to Emergency Shutdown, but only get him once?

Even though it would be rare slap a Janus in Awakening Center and have them run into him with Sentinel Defense Program online, if you can't break it's probably gg.

I'm definately going to build a big ice/brain damage deck. Unfortunately so will everyone else so people may build around it (Feedback Filters).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Benzein
Sweden
Sollentuna
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big ICE still have a somewhat weak criminal matchup and crim is likely still the best runner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best of the ID's for this approach?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Stronger Together of course. Himdell 2.0, Ichi 2.0 and Janus 1.0 all cannot be broken without a real breaker or Feedback Filter or Dues X. That makes them ideal for Oversight AI and Bioroid Research. Tys hand can stop both Feedback and Duex and if they end up spending 2+ turns getting past your big ICE than they were well worth their slots.

I think Janus is still not worth it, she is only good as a surprise which in this case she is not. Himdell and Ichi cost more to break with feedback since it's still 2 clicks, and they are also more realistic to rez normally if it comes up. Also Trys hand can't save oversighted Janus from Feedback Filters.

I think 3 tyrs hand and 2-3 powergrid overload are necessary includes. And perhaps even 2 closed accounts to assist the powergrid overloads as a meta choice against criminals. Some archived memories might be worthwhile as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Barrett
United States
Schaumburg
IL
flag msg tools
mbmb
I played next design tonight at league and i can confirm that big ice is back
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Iglesias
Spain
Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
williamj35 wrote:
Oversight AI
It seems to me that this card pool gives a great deal of support to Big ICE. But will the strategy be tournament worthy? More competitive than Fast Advance with the new tournament rules?

If a deck effectiveness is measured according to a set of tournament rules and may change if the rules for tournaments change, means that the tournament rules are badly designed for that game in question.

That is, players have to create decks according to game rules not tournament rules. The very fact that there were competitive decks for playing that were not competitive for tournaments reflect that. Nice they changed the TR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Levy University. It allows you to play a relatively small number of BIG ICE but still be able to find them. So your deck doesn't have to be ALL big ICE, it can still have enough small ICE to survive, but find the BIG stuff to dominate (when you have the credits or tricks handy as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.