Subject: Howler the perfect Chum target? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't use the subroutine ability, you don't have to trash it, and since it's a trap it requires an AI breaker. Makes a nice cheap early game fort.

The wording is horrible though, since it's not quite clear where "Behind" is. Is it between Howler and the next piece of ICE? The effect would suggest that the runner would encounter the new ICE next, but "behind" sounds like it has already been passed.

I guess we'll see that clarified in a FAQ soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
Behind should be directly after (closer to the server) the Howler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wedgeex wrote:
Behind should be directly after (closer to the server) the Howler.

I assumed that much, since that's the only thing that fits the effect. Otherwise it would be pointless to rez/derezz. It would just be a very fancy way of saying "Reveal the ice before installing".

It's just not how I would interpret the word "Behind". Before I saw this card, if someone had pointed to the outermost ICE and asked me to place a new ICE "Behind this", I would probably have put it as the new outermost ICE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Behind Howler is obviously the side closer to the root of the remote - IE further from the beginning of the run. Does anyone want to dispute that?

Then - Chum > Howler is the equivalent of any trap ICE behind Chum - Whirlpool, or Data Mine.

Now because 1) You have to reveal it so the runner knows what it is so won't run in blindly to get hit and 2) It's a bioroid so the runner can break it with clicks, unless Ichi 2.0 or Heimdall 2.0, Chum's +2 str is kind of irrelevant. And you still have to pay to rez it the first time - while the runner knows what it is.

So... Chum > Howler is ok, but not amazing. It's predictable, which ruins Chum's original purpose.

Sure it beats out Chum > Data Mine in terms of longevity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to trash Howler though, so Chum->Howler will keep doing 3 net damage unless they get an AI breaker, then you can replace Howler with a bioroid which is more expensive to break (and lets you recurse something from archives.)

Chum -> Ichi 2.0 or Heimdall 2.0 is pretty formidable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kandiru wrote:
You don't have to trash Howler though, so Chum->Howler will keep doing 3 net damage unless they get an AI breaker, then you can replace Howler with a bioroid which is more expensive to break (and lets you recurse something from archives.)

Oh that's interesting, it's a may effect, I like that It's a more perpetual Data Mine Nice one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't I already mention that in my post?

As I said (to not turn this into a rules thread), it's the perfect Chum target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- Saturnine -
Germany
flag msg tools
To me, the word "behind" is quite intuitive as I conceive of the ice as being in front of the server, not behind it. So the outermost ice is in front of the next piece of ice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Chum->Howler. Its like Chum->Data Mine, with the following differences:

Drawback:
3 damage instead of 4.
Costs $1 more (but for HB EtF it pays you a $ when you use Howler)

Benefits:
Costs only 1 influence in HB.

Can be reused. You can choose to not activate Howler, and then it isnt trashed, and you can keep your 3 damage dealing setup, if desired.

When you use it, it additionally places a large Bioroid suchs ans Heimdall 2, Janus, or Ichi 2, and probably ends the run (or costs the runner).

In the future, this large ice remains behind Chum, so that you arent left with Chum in front of nothing. The 3 subroutine Bioroid 2.0s are great Chum targets since its hard to break all of their subs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kandiru wrote:

Keep in mind, though, once they get an AI breaker, they will probably just break Howler and you won't get to throw down that bioroid.

Nice thing is, if they are using Crypsis they still have to pay 1c and use up a virus token to get through it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Smith
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MavericK96 wrote:

Keep in mind, though, once they get an AI breaker, they will probably just break Howler and you won't get to throw down that bioroid.

Nice thing is, if they are using Crypsis they still have to pay 1c and use up a virus token to get through it.

Or they get a Code Gate breaker and break Chum.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MavericK96 wrote:
Kandiru wrote:

You could run Troubleshooter so that you still get to do your late-game ICE plan for this server anyway, so long as you can raise the strength of the Howler sufficiently high. Bonus points for this doing 3 damage because of Chum if they think they don't need to break Chum, and you probably still get your Bioroid ETR (edit: effective ETR, I mean, the same way that Data Raven is often ETR) on that first turn for your trouble if they didn't plan for seeing Troubleshooter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Whirlpool into Chum into Howler, Install Data Mine, continue into Fetal AI + Hokusai Grid.

7 Net Damage, if I'm not mistaken.

(Assuming they cannot break Chum or Traps)

Howler will still deal 3 Net Damage from it's subroutine not being broken, plus the Corp player can still install a Data Mine behind it and Whirlpool prevents jacking out.

You could throw in +1 Net Damage for the Jinetki ID as well.

Very cheap server.

Edit: It still works Chris! Data Mine can be installed from the get go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Datamine is not a biodroid, sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Whirlpool - Howler - Cell Portal? As long as the ICE you install doesn't have EtR, you get an infinite install chain (until you run out of bioroids from your hand anyways, which can be a lot using the credits/handsize identity). Each, time it gets bigger. Howler doesn't trash until the end of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Foxtale wrote:
How about Whirlpool - Howler - Cell Portal? As long as the ICE you install doesn't have EtR, you get an infinite install chain (until you run out of bioroids from your hand anyways, which can be a lot using the credits/handsize identity). Each, time it gets bigger. Howler doesn't trash until the end of the turn.

IF you install with Howler, Howler gets trashed. Don't bother installing, just let it fire infinitely.

AI breakers are more necessary now, I love it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.