Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a economic/stock game I'm designing where you move cubes (goods) around the board in a simulation of the transport of commodities in 1890's Chicago. The goods move in a circular and reciprical fashion and players work together to make it run effectively.
Most of the actions you take are processing goods (moving cubes around a rondel), transporting goods (moving cubes around the board), and producing goods (exchanging cubes with others or putting more on the board.)
Some of these actions are called "key actions" (like transporting meat to the eastern states) in which, once completed, allow you to:
1. Increase the profit of the industry (giving you higher dividend)
2. Take a share card

There are a couple other minor mechanics that involve game and round timing, price manipulation, dividend activation, etc.

There is a lot of subtely in trying to maximize your returns and trying to perform certain actions that will help the industry that you hold the most stock in. But since the board is a quasi-engine, you must do other actions to make the actions you want possible. There is also a timing element to cause payouts on shares at the right time with the right industry.

SO WHAT I'M TRYING TO FINALLY GET AT IS: considering the nature of the game above, is this an outdated game compared to what is coming out now? A couple of years ago it would have stood fine next to the likes of Chicago Express (stock trading), Colonia, and Hansa Teutonica (cube pushers). But you look at Tzoklin and crazy Feld stuff, then I'm not sure. What is your opinion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
“Cube pushing” is usually used in a pejorative way by someone who doesn’t like a dry, Euro style game (often involving resource conversion) and doesn’t have anything to do with the components per se. If it's fun and has some original elements, I wouldn't worry about it being dated or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Sure, it seems a fine thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cubes are good for the right games. Ameritrashers don't like them much, but eurogamers tend to look for games with them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Would you consider the following to be cube pushing games?

Puerto Rico

Homesteaders

Pandemic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I love me some wooden cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Earl
Thailand
Koh Samui
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The game sounds great to me and you've obviously invested a lot of time into it and are getting a lot of satisfaction from it.

I don't think the term 'cube pusher' can ever mean a 'dated' or 'bad' game- it is purely descriptive. After all, if you're not pushing cubes then you're most likely to be 'pushing cards' or 'pushing chits', I don't see the difference.

I heard Zee Garcia use this expression, yet it seems Pandemic is one of his favourite games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's more expensive, but if you could replace cubes with mini resource meeples (carrots, cows, stacks of lumber), a game plays with much more theme. It's okay to use cubes to represent something like shipping containers (which are rectangular anyway), but why not represent resources with something that looks like the resources? It's a small thing, but meaningful. When we upgraded our Agricola set with a deluxe wood token set instead of various colored discs, the feel of the game improved 100%!

Cheers for shaped wooden tokens instead of cubes. Huzzah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
I know it's more expensive, but if you could replace cubes with mini resource meeples (carrots, cows, stacks of lumber), a game plays with much more theme. It's okay to use cubes to represent something like shipping containers (which are rectangular anyway), but why not represent resources with something that looks like the resources? It's a small thing, but meaningful. When we upgraded our Agricola set with a deluxe wood token set instead of various colored discs, the feel of the game improved 100%!

Cheers for shaped wooden tokens instead of cubes. Huzzah!

I think that is a great idea; case in point: DnDeeples had a dramatic effect in Lords of Waterdeep.

Right now the goods are as follows:
Livestock (brown cube)
Meat (processed livestock; same brown cube)
Grain (yellow cube)
Steel (silver cube)
Rail (processed steel; same silver cube)
Coal (black cube)
Brick (red cube)
Limestone (white cube)

I think that a brown cattle-shaped animeeple would be great, especially if you have a bunch in the stockyard area, and then they can be processed in meat-packing plants into brown cubes as meat!!!
I think grain is a cinch since that is found in Agricola and some websites that sell resource meeples. Anyone have any pics of wooden things that can be used as the other goods?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.