BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Solo deck-builders along the lines of Friday rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anybody recommend any other good light-to-medium deck-builders that are extremely suitable for solitaire play? Multi-player support is not necessary, but if it can do two-player co-op, then that's a big plus (might have a shot at getting my wife to play). I really enjoy Friday, and would like to find more games like it. I'm willing to consider just about any theme.

I also have Rune Age; it feels light on depth and variety compared to Friday, although I find that almost paradoxical somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I've heard that name often recently; maybe I'll have to check it out. I've got a discount card for a local shop I've been trying to figure out how to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gone from apathy to adoration for Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin. I typically play it solo. You'd need one of the expansions to provide co-op though. The additional expansions really do turn this into an impressive package. It's rare for me to give a game a second chance like this but I'm so pleased I did.

In a similar theme, the purely co-op Shadowrift might also be worth investigating. You'd need to play two hands if playing it solo though.

Finally, whilst not strictly a deck-builder (but you'll be creating decks prior to the games) try the sublime The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. It's another that is quite new to us, but the more I play it the more it just blows me away. Fantastic game with plenty in the base set to wet your whistle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
repairmanjack wrote:
I've gone from apathy to adoration for Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin. I typically play it solo. You'd need one of the expansions to provide co-op though. The additional expansions really do turn this into an impressive package. It's rare for me to give a game a second chance like this bu I'm so pleased I did.

In a similar theme, the purely co-op Shadowrift might also be worth investigating. You'd need to play two hands if playing it solo though.

Finally, whilst not strictly a deck-builder (but you'll be creating decks prior to the games) try the sublime The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. It's another that is quite new to us, but the more I play it the more it just blows me away. Fantastic game wit plenty in the base set to wet your whistle.

These.

Unfortunately there just aren't many solo deck builders out there right now, but I know how you feel about Friday. Great game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
repairmanjack wrote:
I've gone from apathy to adoration for Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin. I typically play it solo. You'd need one of the expansions to provide co-op though. The additional expansions really do turn this into an impressive package. It's rare for me to give a game a second chance like this but I'm so pleased I did.

How does it compare to "original" Thunderstone? I have the base game, and tried it solo a few times, but found it a bit dry.

Quote:

I'd prefer to avoid double-handing, so I'll probably pass on that one.

Quote:
Finally, whilst not strictly a deck-builder (but you'll be creating decks prior to the games) try the sublime The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. It's another that is quite new to us, but the more I play it the more it just blows me away. Fantastic game with plenty in the base set to wet your whistle.

I have LotR, and it's alright, but I think deck construction games put too much emphasis on plan A, and not enough on plan B. I like the constant tactical decisions that arise in deck-building more so than spending a couple hours constructing a deck, and practically running the thing on auto-pilot.

I've only got a few of the Mirkwood expansion decks, but I've heard the game rules start tripping all over themselves as you add the sagas and other later material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamma
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
repairmanjack wrote:

I wouldn't recommend for the OP to get ShadowRift. Shadowrift has good ideas in it and it is fun. But the problem with the game is twofold: 1. Using a random setup of cards makes it sometimes not possible to defeat the various scenarios/enemies and 2. The fact that the shadowrift cards are put into the monster deck totally at random makes for a...very random game that can be either extremely hard or very easy.
I wanted to like the game, but unfortunately it was an unfinished design and not balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.