Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hermus
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all, I thought I had posted this topic earlier, but it doesn't seem to have gone through, so here goes again...

I've played Railroad Tycoon twice. The first time was with 6 players and took 3.75 hours--the game really seemed to drag. The second time was with 3 players and took only 1.5 hours--this time the game seemed to end before we felt we had fully realized our strategies.

So I'm thinking of altering the endgame conditions as follows:

2 players: 12 Empty City Markers (instead of 10)
3 players: 14 (instead of 12)
4 players: 15 (instead of 14)
5 players: 16 (same)
6 players: 17 (instead of 18)

Has anyone else tried something like this? I'm wondering if there would be consequences for gameplay that I haven't considered. Seems like it would help even out game length across the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys play very slowly. Last weekend I played a 6 player game in 1.5 hours counting rules explanation and setup. From my experience of about 10 games with all number of players the end game conditions seems about right.

Obviously, though, people are going to play at different speeds. There are a lot of actions per player in RRT so if somebody is agonizing over every one it's really going to slow the game down. I think that many decisions aren't that difficult however and you should often just take 2 seconds to deliver a good or something and move on. There are only a few times in the game where I feel I really need to slow down and think about it for awhile. The rest of the time I can formulate my move during other players turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hermus
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You're right about the first time--none us had played RT before so we were feeling our way through at first.

However, in the 3-player game it wasn't so much the time length but simply the fact that the 12 empty city threshold was reached before any of us felt we were ready for game end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play 5 players in 2 hours, and felt the game ended too early. So we now add end game markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Palfreyman
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
5 Players about 2:30 (twice)
3 Players about 2h

...seems pretty god so far to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.