Hide
14 Posts

Legendary: Dark City» Forums » Rules

Subject: Any effect that causes wounds to be gained by player to right rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Dark
msg tools
Hello all. I have searched throughout the site and couldn't find a clarification. In a two player game, if a card's effect (whether it be a MM tactic, fight, ambush or escape) states to have a player to your right reveal a MK hero or gain a wound' (example, Blackheart) and it is a two player game, do we disregard that effect because we are playing across from one another or do we both gain wounds due to the fact that there are only two of us playing? I am trying not to overthink this but I am at an impasse. We just played the game as if we were to receive the wounds but didn't know if we were playing it properly. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine you are bot sitting at a round table across from each other. The effect goes around the table in and stops at the first player to your right. The effect therefore only hits the other player. If the effect would look to the left, it would also hit the other player. In a solo game, it would go around the table and hit yourself (at least, that is my interpretation, there is definitely a case to be made that it doesn't apply in a solo game).

Outside of a solo game, you are only affected by such an effect if the card specifically states "you and the player to your right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kampes
United States
Parkton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine that every player, for games with 2 to 5 players, are sitting on an imaginary circle around the table. The player to your right is the next person on that circle if you are traveling to your right (counter clockwise). That is a convoluted way of saying that in a 2 player game, the player across the table is the player to your right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kampes
United States
Parkton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobblySavage wrote:
Imagine you are bot sitting at a round table across from each other. The effect goes around the table in and stops at the first player to your right. The effect therefore only hits the other player. If the effect would look to the left, it would also hit the other player. In a solo game, it would go around the table and hit yourself (at least, that is my interpretation, there is definitely a case to be made that it doesn't apply in a solo game).

Outside of a solo game, you are only affected by such an effect if the card specifically states "you and the player to your right.

Man...I need to type faster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagined I was a bot but bots have no imagination, so it ended there.

That damn Blackheart is so different from any other Villain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Dark
msg tools
KnobblySavage wrote:

Ok, I appreciate the clarification. That being said, if you have to face Apocalypse with the Organized Crime Wave scheme, you're in for some serious hurt. OH MY!! Thanks again for the responses. I love this board! And this game. Can't wait for the FF expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
KnobblySavage wrote:
In a solo game, it would go around the table and hit yourself (at least, that is my interpretation, there is definitely a case to be made that it doesn't apply in a solo game)

Does anyone else have opinions or information on how this type of effect is resolved in a solo game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
Haze01 wrote:
KnobblySavage wrote:
In a solo game, it would go around the table and hit yourself (at least, that is my interpretation, there is definitely a case to be made that it doesn't apply in a solo game)

Does anyone else have opinions or information on how this type of effect is resolved in a solo game?

From the DCity rulings (don't have box in front of me so we'll wait till K.Savage appears) - cards that affect "each other" and "other players" affect you as the solo player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always happy to provide the exact wording

Advanced Solo Rules wrote:
When a Villain or Mastermind Tactic tells
“each other player” to do something, do
it yourself.

"each other player" is a specific wording used on the cards distinct from "the player to your right". It can therefore be argued that this ruling does not apply to "the player to your right".

The way I argued, Blackheart's ability would apply to you even under the basic solo rules - but as I said, it is easy to argue that you cannot be to the right of yourself.

Basically, my take is that I will play it as applying during solo games, but until we get confirmation from Devin I would not feel confident saying that that is definitely the way to play it.

Edit: It is also worth noting that the rules explicitly states that it only applies to Villains and Mastermind Tactics, you are still not able to use Hawkeye's Covering Fire for example on yourself ([Tech]: Choose one: each other Player draws a card or each other Player discards a card)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Turner
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, not official, but my train of thought mirror's KnobblySavage's idea of the round table. The effect just circles until it finds a target, and in a solo game that would be myself. That's the way I've been playing up to now, at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danishdonut wrote:
Again, not official, but my train of thought mirror's KnobblySavage's idea of the round table. The effect just circles until it finds a target, and in a solo game that would be myself. That's the way I've been playing up to now, at least.

Same here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dennison
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Malcolm wrote:
Haze01 wrote:
KnobblySavage wrote:

From the DCity rulings (don't have box in front of me so we'll wait till K.Savage appears) - cards that affect "each other" and "other players" affect you as the solo player.

The ruling for Other players only applies to Enemy effects and MasterMind effects, not all other cards. That is what the Dark City rules say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you all for the excellent replies. Given that clarification from the Dark City rules sheet, I, too, would rule that, in solo play, a villain or mastermind tactic that affects another player, however it is worded, would affect you as well. It just seems to be in the spirit of what those rulings are looking to achieve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Low
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mr. Dark,

Thanks for the question. KnobblySavage, williamwonka, Dane, and DarthEd are all correct. Blackheart's effects say "The player on your right reveals a [MARVEL KNIGHTS] Hero or gains a Wound." When you do this effect in a two-player game, the other player is the player to your right, so that player must reveal or gain a Wound. In a solo game, the player to your right (going around the table) is yourself, so you gain a Wound.

On Haze's question, where the Dark City Advanced Solo Rules say:
Quote:
When a Villain or Mastermind Tactic tells “each other player” to do something, do it yourself.

That only applies to Villain or Mastermind Tactics that specifically use the words "each other player", so it would not apply here. (Though Blackheart ends up wounding yourself in Solo mode anyway, for the reason above.) Have fun fighting the Underworld Villains!

Devin Low meeple
Designer, Legendary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.