Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got 2 questions so basic I can't find the answers.

1. Can any friendly-owned port from an at-war country act as a doorway through which a unit can pass to enter any other friendly-owned at-war country's port? Ex: Can I move a unit out through a port in northern France and have it emerge at a port in Italy?

2. Still fuzzy on MEF ports. Is the only MEF port available for use the one that has the MEF counter on it? All the others are inaccessible to either side?

I have a feeling I'm getting both of these wrong. Apologies for my dazzling dumbness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
gatorskin wrote:
I've got 2 questions so basic I can't find the answers.

1. Can any friendly-owned port from an at-war country act as a doorway through which a unit can pass to enter any other friendly-owned at-war country's port? Ex: Can I move a unit out through a port in northern France and have it emerge at a port in Italy?

2. Still fuzzy on MEF ports. Is the only MEF port available for use the one that has the MEF counter on it? All the others are inaccessible to either side?

I have a feeling I'm getting both of these wrong. Apologies for my dazzling dumbness.

If I'm not mistaken:

1. I think port travel like that can only be between ports of the same country player [EDIT: corrected after next comment], and only that country can use it (e.g. British corps SR from Basra to Alexandria on Near East map).

2. Only the MEF port that the MEF army appears in is valid territory. All the others may not be entered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gatorskin wrote:
1. Can any friendly-owned port from an at-war country act as a doorway through which a unit can pass to enter any other friendly-owned at-war country's port? Ex: Can I move SR a unit out through a port in northern France and have it emerge at a port in Italy?

Units only get from port to port by way of Strategic Redeployment (section 13.1.7 on page 17), which is why I altered the quoted portion to strike the word "move." They must begin at a friendly-controlled port and end at a friendly-controlled port (hence, Max's reply above is not accurate). Take care to note the many exceptions in this section of the rules.

So the answer to your example question is yes--provided that the unit belongs to the Allied Powers and isn't Russian (see 13.1.6).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies for messing that up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Joel got it right as far as he went. Ports can only be used for SR or to trace supply, not for Ops movement.

SR-by-sea [13.1.7] is only allowed for corps, not armies, and only from one port space to another. Both spaces must be controlled by the same side, and the color of the anchor symbol must match that side (that is, only the CP can use ports in Germany or on Russia's Baltic coast; only the Allies can use any port outside the Baltic except Wilhelmshaven). The anchor symbol color represents naval control of the sea zone, which never changes.

Special cases:
- As Joel said, Russians cannot SR by sea because they cannot SR outside Russia.
- If Riga is besieged it does not function as a port; the CP must actually own it to use it.
- Constantinople can only be used as a port if the Allies also control Gallipoli.

2. Correct [11.1.10].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.