BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Wargame Mini Recommendation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Smith
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
So im pretty new to boardgames, but I've been getting more into them over the past 6-7 months. But while games like Warhammer seem very daunting (just too much involved, wayyyyy too expensive for me) I do like the Idea of Minatures Battling and Games of that type. I've read around and seen a few that look like they'd be fun but also not like "too big" if that makes sense.

Something I could still play with friends if I wanted to (Also as a sidenote.....I've been wanting to get into miniatures painting but thats a lot to learn).

I've seen a few that look interesting, Dystopian Wars and Firestorm Armada. They seem pretty interesting. I think one other was Dreadnaught (Although I heard it wasn't very good).

Something more self contained is ideal (as in I don't need to buy 1000 mini's to participate) and maybe something I wouldn't need to go to an "event" with someone else that has a ton of mini's to be able to play. But something I could invite people over to play.

Does such a thing exist? I know im being pretty specific. Good looking Miniatures are a plus of course. Boat/Ship/Space is always good too. I have twilight imperium btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
Battles of Westeros? Tons of minis, and more in the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt, I don't play minis, so I can't answer your question directly. However I would suggest posting this in the wargames subforum as well. You should get some responses from some very experienced miniatures enthusiasts that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I reposted there, something I forgot to mention is a BIG plus is if there are less models but they are bigger/higher quality as opposed to a bunch of smaller mini's (if that makes sense)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good recommendations with miniatures:

War of the Ring (Second Edition)

Runewars

Mansions of Madness & Arkham Horror

Shadows over Camelot & Cyclades doesn't have lots of miniatures but they are very nice as you wanted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is Song of Blades and Heroes. It is a fantasy game made to use any miniatures. Each player has about 10 figures. So, you could use your Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) minis with it, or get different miniatures.

The rules are very easy to learn and the game plays quickly relative to a large game like Warhammer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Torn Armor might be for you. It's not out yet (its a Kickstarter) but is due November or December. It was billed as a short skirmish game for people who don't have tons of space or time but would like the experience of a miniatures war game. The figures look like they will be fantastic, lots of variety but not so many you feel overwhelmed. Just an idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hayden
United States
Amelia
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malifaux

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kane
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Warmachine/Hordes and I love it.

Games can be quick or long, which is something I like, and the rules felt more intuitive strategically to me than attempts to learn Warhammer. The sculpts of their models is really great, the company is well-liked by the minis community in my area, and their rulebooks are reasonably priced; all things to consider when getting into a game.

I enjoy the little skirmishes, I'm working up to trying a big battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.