Zenon Iblis
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mb
Hi! I am looking for a game that can be played 2-player over a long period of time - meaning it's ok to set it up then leave in some state to continue later (next day).
I have Twilight Struggle but think after both players get familiar with the rules, the game can be finished in some 2 hours.
Something that will have an "epic" feel to it (so that you can treat the sessions as some chapters) and also not too difficult to continue (meaning not too much stuff to recap at the beginning of each session.

Theme isn't really important, but something abstract or too euro-y (like idk "Agricola"). Mechanics wise - not too random (so there is not all dice throwing etc.). I mean Twilight Struggle would be perfect if it was like an 8-hour endeavor (haha rare case when this can be said!).

I wonder maybe Paths of Glory? Can it span for some 3-4-5 evenings (1-2 hours each evening?). My concern is that its so heavy you can't learn it in 2 hours, which is too heavy, or am I wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game or Arkham Horror
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrill Lampart
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the longest 2-player game? easy.... Race for the Galaxy with my wife!

but kidding aside I am not sure how many pure 2-player games would meet your requirement. A game that would come to mind here Memoir '44: Overlord some of the scenarios can certainly take some time. It is a very big game as well so you would need the space of course.

Also War of the Ring (Second Edition) but it would be shorter or this one is certainly a rather Epic game Runewars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play No Retreat! The Russian Front at lunch everyday with a coworker. We play 2-3 turns (about an hour) per day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk (third edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Android can be played with 2 players. The first game will take 4+ hours, maybe even 8h if you read all the flavor text. You can basically pause for example every 3 days of the game time (the game takes two 6-day weeks) to split it into 4 sessions.

(Yesterday we had a 3-player game which took 6 hours.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you like Twilight Struggle, maybe you should try a longer CDG like Twilight Struggle.

Suggestions (I don't know how long they will take for you to learn them):
Paths of Glory
For the People
Here I Stand with Here I Stand: 2-Player Diplomacy Deck
Empire of the Sun
Unhappy King Charles!
Triumph of Chaos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Smith
Germany
flag msg tools
It Never Snows

you can spend several hours already just setting it up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Killian
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZzBOG wrote:
Hi! I am looking for a game that can be played 2-player over a long period of time - meaning it's ok to set it up then leave in some state to continue later (next day).
I have Twilight Struggle but think after both players get familiar with the rules, the game can be finished in some 2 hours.
Something that will have an "epic" feel to it (so that you can treat the sessions as some chapters) and also not too difficult to continue (meaning not too much stuff to recap at the beginning of each session.

Theme isn't really important, but something abstract or too euro-y (like idk "Agricola"). Mechanics wise - not too random (so there is not all dice throwing etc.). I mean Twilight Struggle would be perfect if it was like an 8-hour endeavor (haha rare case when this can be said!).

I wonder maybe Paths of Glory? Can it span for some 3-4-5 evenings (1-2 hours each evening?). My concern is that its so heavy you can't learn it in 2 hours, which is too heavy, or am I wrong?

Card-driven wargames are a good direction to look in if you have and like Twilight Struggle -- I haven't tried Paths of Glory, but it seems like a good choice. You can download the PoG rules from the publisher's website, which will give you a pretty good idea of whether it's too complex.

Other suggestions off the top of my head:

Labyrinth: the War on Terror is a good choice for experienced TS players -- similar but not too similar, and the campaign game (3 times through the deck) is not only pretty long (though I would guess shorter than PoG) but also has a natural end point for playing over three sessions.

Wilderness War is my personal favorite card-driven wargame (though the theme may or may not be interesting to you.) The tournament scenario is about 3 hours for experienced players, but there is a longer campaign scenario that is probably an 8-hour endeavor all told.

The Napoleonic Wars is a 2-5 player game, haven't tried it two player (some people swear by it though), but it's a pretty fun mix of strategy and roll-dice-smash-face. Definitely not a light game but it's good fun, and it is up to 5 turns that take about 2 hours each. As a bonus -- the deck is reshuffled after every turn, so no need to keep the deck intact.

But really, find a high-ranked wargame on a subject you like, read the rules if they're available, and rip it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I in fact have Mage Knight set up in my apartment and come back to it every day or two. There are nice clear stopping points (the game is divided into 6 "rounds", which take 30-60 minutes each when playing solo).

Recapping is easy if you stop between rounds, since you can just look through your deck before shuffling it, and then you know all there is to know about your character's state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Mage Knight and Android. Both great games.

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game is another one that can take awhile, even as a 2p game. Very enjoyable though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics is made of many different chapters so while each one may only take a night if you play them one after the other it is one epic story...

I believe Britannia is known for being long but I don't know how it plays...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk!

LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Actually came in to suggest these so +1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet:

Earth Reborn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 and Strike of the Eagle both have campaigns that will last for some time while both being at most on the medium weight side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Advanced Civilization (we play the full board, with 4 civilizations apiece, using modified trading rules)
The Civil War
Earth Reborn
Elusive Victory
Empire of the Sun
• Series: The Great Battles of Alexander/SPQR
The Guns of Gettysburg
The Korean War
• Series: Musket and Pike
Red Winter
Reluctant Enemies
Rommel in the Desert
The Siege of Jerusalem
Unhappy King Charles!
Victory in the West
Wilderness War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Android is another game that takes hours that may work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Freedom in the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 Earth Reborn. Unless you go hardcore wargame, this is pretty much it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andean Abyss

It was on our table for four nights the first time we set it up. Plays well with one to four, too.

I'd also second Arkham Horror. Given the set-up time, against how much I love the game, I'd have it set up on a table permanently, if I could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Arkham Horror is very heavy on the dice-throwing, which the OP was trying to avoid. I only mention it because multiple people have suggested Arkham.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey
Singapore
flag msg tools
Twilight struggling to find time to play
badge
Twilight struggling to find time to play
mbmbmbmbmb
no one yet mentioned Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) ?
perfectly extendable over a few days with the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenon Iblis
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mb
Wow thank you very much people!
After some research guided by advices here decide to go with Labyrinth War on Terror and Mage Knight!

And ordered Paths Of a glory but actually while posting the question so I guess that doesn't count
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.