Subject: Gaming on a wall, suggestions and tips? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Pratt
United States
London
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Hello All. I’ve been thinking about my gaming situation. There are two cats who allow me to live in their home. The tables where I would normally set up my games are used by them for lounging and any game is viewed as a treat by them. My wife is very fond of the cats, probably more fond of them than me, so I tread lightly in standing up to the cats. My gaming right now is through the use of vassal and cyberboard. That’s fine, but it feels somewhat confining to always be viewing a computer screen.

So, I’ve been thinking of taking my games vertical and placing them on a wall (high enough so that the cats can’t get to them). I have found two ways to do so.

First off is the method that Nicholas Palmer talked about in his wargaming book back in the late 1970s. This one involved the used of adhesive, I think it was some kind of gum, that was stuck to the back of the map and to the counters. Not sure, I like this method, as I would think there would be damage to the map and/or counters at some point.

Second, and the one that seems to be used more often, is the magnet route. The map is placed on the wall on top of a magnetized board of some kind. The counters are then placed on magnets or magnetized themselves. I’m kinda of curious on this one, as to how the map is mounted on the wall. Is there a way to it, without leaving pinholes in the map? Also what is the best way to magnetize the counters?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has done either method, or if there is a third method I do not know about. I would like to hear (Or see if there are any videos) of the process used and any specific how -to instructions that are on that.

I would also like to hear of experience with this method. I know this seems to be used mostly with monster games, but I am also interested in using the vertical method with non-monster games also.

If anyone could point in the right direction I would be greatly appreciative. Thank You Kindly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rent out a storage locker and go there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's your budget?

http://www.geekchichq.com/the-sultan-gaming-table.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like more hassle than it's worth. Isn't there a spare room somewhere you can set up a folding picnic table or something?

How attached are you to this wife?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Syrian gaming tables have an internal surface that you can cover when you're not playing. It won't keep the cats off while you're playing though. But the wall may not either.

Considering what you'll pay in magnets you may do just as well to use push pins and buy replacement maps now and again.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Werner
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of using your monitor maybe you could get a projector set up. Or a wireless keyboard and mouse and plug the PC into your TV. That way you can use your electronic gaming methods and not be confined to your computer chair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
The birdman says: KILL THE CATS! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cat is lounging on table. Pick up cat and place on floor. Solved.

I find my housemates cat is pretty good at walking over board games without actually moving a single component, but perhaps your overlor...I mean cats are less subtle.

Another option...get something warm, and put some clothes on it with the same colour as the cats fur. That's a pretty effective way to trap a cat =P

I do like the magnets idea though, but could be expensive, and I imagine there's a very small number of games it would work with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just put the box of whatever game you are playing on the floor. Cat's love game boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
I haven't done this. I've thought about before but the labour involved has deterred me.
I would be inclined to look for magnetic sheets. This is a thin, cut-able material like what businesses are using to advertise on fridge magnets.
You would have to cut it up into squares and glue all your pieces onto it. A lot of work. I'm not sure if the magnets are strong enough to allow you to stack units very high.
Don't know the cheapest way to mount the board. Some whiteboards are being magnetized these days. You could check with an office supplier and see what they can tell you.
What I've resorted to is a large box. The kind that refrigerators or stoves come in. You can cut these up to make lid-like sections (some boxes are created with a 'lid'). YOu can place one of these lids over your game when not in use. Something heavy then placed on top will secure it from very active feline play.
I use 2 at a time. I place the game in one so I can move it to another location (such as under the bed when I need the game room for something or someone else), and use the other as the covering lid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.