Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Trajan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Round ends when time marker passes or reaches the end of the circle? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Van de Velde
Belgium
Ghent
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
I started playing this game on boiteajeux last week. I noticed that a round only ends there when the time marker passes the end of the time circle. I have a rather recent game, and my rules state that reaching the spot is enough. I downloaded two rules summaries from this website, one says 'passes', the other says 'reaches'. So this is my third try to get the right answer.

Are there officially published rules that use 'passes', or is boiteajeux definitely wrong?

This is a pretty significant difference...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The official English rules (uploaded to BGG) state that a round ends when the time marker arrives at or crosses the start space.
Rules (English) from Ammonit Spiele

I've actually wondered how that is working on BAJ myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
BAJ does it correctly, the round ends when the marker lands on or passes the start space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
BAJ does it correctly, the round ends when the marker lands on or passes the start space.

So the OP got from the BAJ wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a turn on BAJ where it was round 3, and all the circles were filled ... I still got a round 3 turn, chose a mancala space with 3 tokens, and then we selected senate tiles. At that point, the round 4 turn track came up and 3 spaces were filled. So BAJ appears to interpret the rule as "round end when the marker passes the space". Unless of course I'm misinterpreting the meaning of the filled-in circles on BAJ ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:
sfox wrote:

I'm wondering if is just the graphics on BAJ that can be misinterpreted.

As I have said, I've wondered about it myself. But after reading the rule again and hearing that BAJ does it correctly I think it makes sense to me.

The key is that the first space in the row is the start space and that the last brown circle is where the time marker is. So if you have 4 white spaces left in the quarter and you choose a bowl with 4 cylinders in it the round will not end. All 4 white spaces will have turned to brown. Which means that the time marker will be on the last space, which is the space immediately before the start space. But if you had chosen a bowl with 5 (or more) cylinders the round would end as it would pass that last space and hit the first/start space.

For those in the know, am I interpreting it correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
justplainchips wrote:
vardamir wrote:
sfox wrote:

I'm wondering if is just the graphics on BAJ that can be misinterpreted.

As I have said, I've wondered about it myself. But after reading the rule again and hearing that BAJ does it correctly I think it makes sense to me.

The key is that the first space in the row is the start space and that the last brown circle is where the time marker is. So if you have 4 white spaces left in the quarter and you choose a bowl with 4 cylinders in it the round will not end. All 4 white spaces will have turned to brown. Which means that the time marker will be on the last space, which is the space immediately before the start space. But if you had chosen a bowl with 5 (or more) cylinders the round would end as it would pass that last space and hit the first/start space.

For those in the know, am I interpreting it correctly?

For those in the know, perhaps a simple graphics change to highlight precisely where the time marker is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaysachs wrote:
I just had a turn on BAJ where it was round 3, and all the circles were filled ... I still got a round 3 turn, chose a mancala space with 3 tokens, and then we selected senate tiles. At that point, the round 4 turn track came up and 3 spaces were filled. So BAJ appears to interpret the rule as "round end when the marker passes the space". Unless of course I'm misinterpreting the meaning of the filled-in circles on BAJ ...
I think that your situation affirms what I wrote. The rule states that it lands on or passes "the start space" which would be the first circle in the row on BAJ.

So in the turn you described the time marker was on the last spot before the start space (all circles filled in) and then you moved 3 tokens and 3 spaces were filled in. First it hit the start space (ending the round and filling in 1 circle) and then going 2 more spaces (filling in 2 more circles)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaysachs wrote:
For those in the know, perhaps a simple graphics change to highlight precisely where the time marker is?
Or just better documentation stating somewhere that the time marker is on the last brown circle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Van de Velde
Belgium
Ghent
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
Ok I got it wrong. The last space on BAJ is the space just right of the starting position on the real board.

The different graphics can make it a bit confusing. BAJ is doing it correctly then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Tobias
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, BaJ is correct. The confusion arises because the time track is circular(ish) on the real board, but 4 lines on the BaJ implementation. The round ends when the token reaches or passes the arrow, which on the physical board is just a point on the circle, but on BaJ, it's the start of a new line, Correct, but counter-intuitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.