Hide
14 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: What happens if unique ally dies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lesa Ckibunenko
msg tools
Here is a situation. I play solo game with Leadership sphere deck. In deck you have 2 Faramir cards. He is unique ally and I know that there can't be 2 Faramirs at the same time on table because their uniqueness.
My question is this: you draw one Faramir card. You played it during the Planning phase. Later in the game Faramir dies and go do your discard pile. After that you draw a second Faramir card and Faramir is again in your hand. Now what? Can you play him again? I mean he already died...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Thank you, to whoever gifted me the Geek Citizenship Recognition badge! You're a pretty cool person, anonymous BGGer!
mbmbmbmbmb
ckibunenko wrote:
Here is a situation. I play solo game with Leadership sphere deck. In deck you have 2 Faramir cards. He is unique ally and I know that there can't be 2 Faramirs at the same time on table because their uniqueness.
My question is this: you draw one Faramir card. You played it during the Planning phase. Later in the game Faramir dies and go do your discard pile. After that you draw a second Faramir card and Faramir is again in your hand. Now what? Can you play him again? I mean he already died...

Yeah, you can play him again. He just must've not died as previously thought. Kind of like Aragorn when the party was ambushed by orcs and wargs on the way to Helm's Deep. ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are able to play your 2nd copy of Faramir if the first one has 'died'. There is no 'Dead' pile that's separate from the Discard pile (as there is in Game of Thrones). The Uniqueness rule only applies to characters actually in play.

Thematically, just think of him being knocked out or defeated, then he makes a triumphant return!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lesa Ckibunenko
msg tools
Thx guys! You're awsome! This was real-time answering!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Addison Fox
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
GeckoTH wrote:
Yes, you are able to play your 2nd copy of Faramir if the first one has 'died'. There is no 'Dead' pile that's separate from the Discard pile (as there is in Game of Thrones). The Uniqueness rule only applies to characters actually in play.

Thematically, just think of him being knocked out or defeated, then he makes a triumphant return! :D

Everyone knows you're not dead until they find the body, and minor characters always get a tremendous power boost off camera. It makes perfect thematic sense that allies can come back after a nasty treachery or a fierce enemy makes you think they're gone for good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:

Thematically, just think of him being knocked out or defeated, then he makes a triumphant return!

Yeah, I take Tom's approach that they have lost their morale to carry on or have been knocked out (kind of like in LOTRO, one doesn't die, just pass-out/go unconscious/lose your will to continue/whatever).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
Yeah, you can play him again. He just must've not died as previously thought. Kind of like Aragorn when the party was ambushed by orcs and wargs on the way to Helm's Deep. ^_^

Ugh, please never mention that crappy movie again, especially introduced plot holes. "Look at me, I'm Aragorn, I didn't die, so I'm going to ride this horse back north. I guess I'm going home, just giving up on everything. Oh wait, there's an army of orcs in my way, I guess I'll turn around and go to Helm's Deep..."

But as everyone said, they aren't necessarily 'dead', just out of the adventure for whatever reason you want to make up for it.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Maybe Faramir wasn't all dead. He was only MOSTLY dead. If he was all dead, there would be only one thing you could do - go through his clothes and look for loose change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Anderson
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Mattr0polis wrote:

Ugh, please never mention that crappy movie again, especially introduced plot holes. "Look at me, I'm Aragorn, I didn't die, so I'm going to ride this horse back north. I guess I'm going home, just giving up on everything. Oh wait, there's an army of orcs in my way, I guess I'll turn around and go to Helm's Deep..."

But as everyone said, they aren't necessarily 'dead', just out of the adventure for whatever reason you want to make up for it.

-shnar

Seriously, that's what I thought when I read that. A better example would be when Gandalf "died" and came back as Gandalf the White.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
Maybe Faramir wasn't all dead. He was only MOSTLY dead. If he was all dead, there would be only one thing you could do - go through his clothes and look for loose change.
Plaintive voice: "I'm not dead yet ... In fact, I think I'm getting better."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Leavitt
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:

lol.. love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ancestral Hamster wrote:
Beaveman wrote:
Plaintive voice: "I'm not dead yet ... In fact, I think I'm getting better."

Wrong movie, but I was considering something along those lines as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Thank you, to whoever gifted me the Geek Citizenship Recognition badge! You're a pretty cool person, anonymous BGGer!
mbmbmbmbmb
markjanderson86 wrote:
A better example would be when Gandalf "died" and came back as Gandalf the White.

Not sure that's a better example, as most characters are not otherworldly. ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bookwormral Bookwormral
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not fooling anyone you know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.