flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomatello wrote:
Who?

Magic the Gathering terms for common player stereotypes.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/...

I do not think they fit any identity.

Edit:

In this game the monikers could be applied to a person and their play style, but again, I do not see how you'd pidgeon-hole identities in this fashion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Perry
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mb
this stuff doesn't really apply to nr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
experimilk wrote:

The general concepts are still applicable, as the same motivations largely start people on ANR as it does MTG. However the IDs don't really fall into these categories well, and there's also a problem that "Spike" essentially can mean "the ones I think are good". There's also the problem that these aren't exclusive or distinct categories.

So yeah, pretty meaningless distinction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
experimilk wrote:

It applies to all kinds of games, they are really useful psychographics I think.

Now I don't think identities as a whole can be so easily classified, they are very broad cards by design, they are not like Amazon Industrial Zone or Janus 1.0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, I think my Chrome is bugging out. It looks like you have labelled identities other than Engineering the Future as Spike but I know it can't be true. I'm going to try rebooting my computer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
It's like that one scene from Spartacus except this time everyone is Spike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
salty53 wrote:
It's like that one scene from Spartacus except this time everyone is Spike.

Except Alexfrog, who insists he's a combo player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
In this game the monikers could be applied to a person and their play style, but again, I do not see how you'd pidgeon-hole identities in this fashion.

I agree. There's actually more like 6-7 at least and they don't translate into the Spike/Timmy/Johnny thing.

I think the reason it's hard to attribute here is because rarity is taken out of the equation. FFG doesn't print (many) cards that are useless brain traps existing to sucker people into trying to build bad decks (arguable, yes). But I don't feel there are many "Timmy" cards.

I instead wish to label identities another way...
Carrie: Creates very mainstream and versatile decks.
Miranda: Creates decks that are not the easiest to score with and need work.
Charlotte: Creates defensive decks that spend their time seeking the right rig or setup.
Samantha: Creates "naked" decks or maybe even virus decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thread is silly! Silly I tell you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Neufeld
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
Thread is silly! Silly I tell you!

So say we all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maybe Next Time
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Tomatello wrote:
Who?

Magic the Gathering terms for common player stereotypes.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/...

I do not think they fit any identity.

Edit:

Thanks for the link! Not having played Magic this was an interesting read!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Schaener
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also am of the opinion that the Rosewater's archetypes can apply to Netrunner, I myself being a Spike/Johnny.

I think both of the jinteki iDs are Johnny though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge G.
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Azgard12 wrote:
I instead wish to label identities another way...
Carrie: Creates very mainstream and versatile decks.
Miranda: Creates decks that are not the easiest to score with and need work.
Charlotte: Creates defensive decks that spend their time seeking the right rig or setup.
Samantha: Creates "naked" decks or maybe even virus decks.

You sir, are awesome.

Though I might be partial to a Timmy/Eric/Kyle/Stan/Kenny/Butters label.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think part of the issue is that the "archetype" of a card is as much defined by the meta as the card itself. Spike will generally play whatever is considered the best (Gabe/HB:ETF). Johnny, on the other hand, wants to win without playing what's considered the best--he'd rather prove that an underused identity can be effective (see "Tech Talk" by Scud at cardgame db). Ironically, if Johnny is good enough, his deck becomes a "best" deck and Johnny will probably go back to the drawing board.

I think Timmy is the least meta-dependent. Timmy wants to have huge, dramatic effects. Timmy wants to build an entire rig of fixed-strength breakers with 3x Personal touch and Ice Carver. Timmy wanted to run a Noise Mill deck before it was competitive, just because it seemed so grand. Scorched Earth probably appealed to Timmy, even after plascrete carapace.

I think I'm a Timmy/Johnny. I tend to avoid the top deck archetypes, just because I like variety and doing my own thing. But I'm easily seduced by big or interesting effects (like Xanadu), even if they're not completely effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton R.
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
As Johnny I love personal evolution. Don't see something 'big' in it that could be liked by Timmy^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Tebben
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Timmy↴

Spike↴

Johnny↴
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Almeida
msg tools
mbmb
The Timmy/Spike/Johnny is a crappy speach to justify the bad cards in MtG. It might not even fit other gamers, and anyone with a brain can creater 3 random names of Netrunner "play styles" that wouldn't fit MtG.

People really need to stop buying this crap...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DRDRJDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWYXX0BH1W6Y73 9G7ER4ORJEY3KQN1D7L5 JX0MWDK2IHF8UNTBV66A MIK0PYFEUMJUXPPVDLSM TRZ1AS8QCGVMDQGEGQ8Y G4JZLE93C62I1J2L1MPP Y7H0UJ8P0ZEV61QTPJ3X T0TMR4A775F528UFYNP8LYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWY JGLDDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWYXX0BH1W6Y73 9G7ER4ORJEY3KQN1D7L5 JX0MWDK2IHF8UNTBV66A MIK0PYFEUMJUXPPVDLSM TRZ1AS8QCGVMDQGEGQ8Y G4JZLE93C62I1J2L1MPP Y7H0UJ8P0ZEV61QTPJ3X T0TMR4A775F528UFYNP8RJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4Q
United States
DRJNZ7Z3JGLYBDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWYXX0BH1W6Y73 9G7ER4ORJEY3KQN1D7L5 JX0MWDK2IHF8UNTBV66A MIK0PYFEUMJUXPPVDLSM TRZ1AS8QCGVMDQGEGQ8Y G4JZLE93C62I1J2L1MPP Y7H0UJ8P0ZEV61QTPJ3X T0TMR4A775F528UFYNP8OQ9JDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1B
flag msg tools
badge
Hraklea wrote:
The Timmy/Spike/Johnny is a crappy speach to justify the bad cards in MtG. It might not even fit other gamers, and anyone with a brain can creater 3 random names of Netrunner "play styles" that wouldn't fit MtG.

People really need to stop buying this crap...

Those player psychographics are absolutely applicable to other games, at least as a starting point. Don't reject the concept out of hand because it's tainted by association with MTG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
"We created this combo card because there are people who like these kinds of cards"

OMG, BRAINWASHING!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DRDRJDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWYXX0BH1W6Y73 9G7ER4ORJEY3KQN1D7L5 JX0MWDK2IHF8UNTBV66A MIK0PYFEUMJUXPPVDLSM TRZ1AS8QCGVMDQGEGQ8Y G4JZLE93C62I1J2L1MPP Y7H0UJ8P0ZEV61QTPJ3X T0TMR4A775F528UFYNP8LYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWY JGLDDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWYXX0BH1W6Y73 9G7ER4ORJEY3KQN1D7L5 JX0MWDK2IHF8UNTBV66A MIK0PYFEUMJUXPPVDLSM TRZ1AS8QCGVMDQGEGQ8Y G4JZLE93C62I1J2L1MPP Y7H0UJ8P0ZEV61QTPJ3X T0TMR4A775F528UFYNP8RJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4Q
United States
DRJNZ7Z3JGLYBDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1BFVUG4QC9H2G7 NMCZUBPWYXX0BH1W6Y73 9G7ER4ORJEY3KQN1D7L5 JX0MWDK2IHF8UNTBV66A MIK0PYFEUMJUXPPVDLSM TRZ1AS8QCGVMDQGEGQ8Y G4JZLE93C62I1J2L1MPP Y7H0UJ8P0ZEV61QTPJ3X T0TMR4A775F528UFYNP8OQ9JDRJNZ7Z3JGLYBOQ9JR9W 5597WB1B
flag msg tools
badge
General_Norris wrote:
"We created this combo card because there are people who like these kinds of cards"

OMG, BRAINWASHING!

You don't really enjoy that card, you just think you do because Mark Rosewater wrote an article about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Pickles
England
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Spike goes 5:1 & sulks & moans about bad luck in the game he lost

Johnny goes 3:3 after spending 2 weeks making a Cerebral Imaging deck that almost works

Timmy goes 1:5 but is over the moon as he won with whirlpool: howler: Janus: edge of world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.