13 Posts

Puerto Rico» Forums » Variants

Subject: Last player always at a disadvantage? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
master blaster
Brazil
flag msg tools
I was upset that my Puerto Rico recently arrived and both times I played (both times with 5 players), the last player always complained that the game was unbalanced and that being the last player to pick a profession put them in a disadvantage because they could only pick the professions that were left, which sucks strategywise.

Do you guys agree? If so, have you found a way to balance things? It really sucks to invest money in a game and not being able to play it because your friends are boycoting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The role of the first player (governor) changes from turn to turn (did you remember to do it?), so everyone has to be the last player now and then. If you begin as 5th, in turn 2 you're 4th and so on, what gradually gives you a greater repertoire of roles to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dearn
United Kingdom
orpington
kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is you are not playing the game correctly. Re read the rules and enjoy. It's a great game....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winter
United States
Free Soil
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Corn has the advantage period.
Question: are you passing the governor card to the next player each round?

Every one gets to be first and last in this game. I have played many games of PR with my group. they love it and are very competitive in it. I have won several times having to go last. and have seen others do the same. people on line kick butt no matter what order they play in although most seem not to want to go first. once they understand the strategy and counter strategy in this game I think it won't matter so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And 5 players is definitely a harder game as so many things are set for 4 players (Trading House etc.). A better game with 4. In this game you need to think ahead, so if you are going to be going last next round, maybe look to have extra coins on a Prospector if you think you will be left with that choice only. Just as an example.

As those above have stated, the Governor role moves round each complete turn, so you will only go last every fifth round (with 5 players).

A great, great game for a reason. I hope you grow to love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
master blaster
Brazil
flag msg tools
This is how I was playing:

The player with the governor is the one picking a profession that everyone plays with. So, the first player has the governor card. He picks a professions and everyone takes a turn with that profession. Then he passes the governor to the next player and that player picks another profession from the ones that are left and every player has a turn playing that profession. Then he passes the governor around again, till every player has picked a profession. Its like the governor card is the Dealer button at the Poker table. Is that right or wrong?

edit:btw I love the game. I just have a few very whiny friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are playing very incorrectly.

The Governor gets the first choice of profession.

Then, in turn order, all other players get to choose a profession.

After all players have chosen a profession, the Governor goes to the next player.

Continue until game end.

Their is zero disadvantage in turn order as it is in constant flux and everyone has the same disadvantages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
master blaster
Brazil
flag msg tools
Rygel wrote:
You are playing very incorrectly.

The Governor gets the first choice of profession.

Then, in turn order, all other players get to choose a profession.

After all players have chosen a profession, the Governor goes to the next player.

Continue until game end.

Their is zero disadvantage in turn order as it is in constant flux and everyone has the same disadvantages.

Ooooh... I feel like Luke finding out who's his real father. Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan The Man
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But 5-player is a very chaotic game, by its very nature...

IMNSHO, 4-player is best, followed by 3, then 5 a ways down the road. Not a bad game, and 4-player can have its quirks with certain player personality combinations, but still I stand by that rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel wrote:
There is zero disadvantage in turn order as it is in constant flux and everyone has the same disadvantages.

Disagree with this. First corn player has an advantage. Everyone else is at a disadvantage. I do kind of think five player second corn is not a great spot, but then second indigo is a bad spot too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
From 2010:

Seat #1 (indigo): 41.82 scoring average, 128 wins (20.0%)
Seat #2 (indigo): 41.00 scoring average, 123 wins (19.2%)
Seat #3 (corn): 43.89 scoring average, 195 wins (30.5%)
Seat #4 (corn): 43.83 scoring average, 194 wins (30.3%)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh.

What about at five players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
frumpish wrote:
Huh.

What about at five players?

Doubt anyone has compiled extensive stats for 5p as it's an odd player number for this game. This was taken from WBC stats. My guess is that seat 2 is not good. Probably even worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.