Hide
11 Posts

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Should I buy the Tyranid Expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
PotatoChip .
msg tools
So I bought the base game and the space marine expansion about a week ago for ~$25 w/ free shipping, and I've definitely gotten my money's worth. I've gotten close to 40 games out of it and enjoyed it a whole heck of a lot, but I'm starting to get slightly bored with it (since I've played the majority of the solo game squad permutations).

I see there are several other expansions out there and as far as I can tell, the Tyranid expansion may be the most interesting to me. Factoring in the shipping, I can probably end up getting it for ~$15 dollars which is pretty cheap, but my question is, is it worth it?

The new enemies and locations look pretty interesting, but I haven't really put any thought into how they'd alter the game flow (since I'd like to really feel it out for myself). Do the tyranids make fighting through the same void lock, the same 2's and the same 3's feel different enough? Also, just how hard do the tyranids make the game? My total win percentage is around 60% (factoring out my learning phase it is probably higher), so just how much harder is it going to make the game? A nice increase in the challenge would be nice, but making it TOO hard may be a turn off.

Thanks for your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Tyranids is probably the best expansion. It can add a great deal of variety to each turn depending on which critters appear. It's still possible to win but you will have to deal with more complicated threats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
60% is a pretty good win ratio, I find Space Hulk to be absolutely soul crushing (in a good way.) Yes, Tyranids make the game harder but especially with the Hive Lord locations, it can be a bit of a trick.

However, it is my least favorite of the expansions and if you're looking for variety vs. simply increasing the difficulty, Mission Pack 1 is a must and only $4.95. This will give you an entirely new set of locations which mixes things up pretty well.

If you're worried about the difficulty of the game added when you get Tyranid, the Deathwing expansion, like the Space Marine package, adds a ton of new marines and they're pretty kick-ass.

Since it was > $30 for all expansions when I got them (through Coolstuff) it was pretty much a no-brainer to get all the expansions right away and I hope they do more but it may be more tricky to get them through an online discounted store to save cash. Still worth it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With such a win ratio, I would dive in and get the Tyranid expansion immediatly.

But like Aaron said, Mission Pack 1 might be offering you more variety than the Tyranid expansion, ultimately you should try to get both.

I do believe, however, that the Deathwing expansion is pretty terrible (as in, totally unbalanced) and I would skip it.

In fact, it's the only one of the 4 I would skip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Coyote
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. IMHO its the best of the expansions thus far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
William Keller wrote:

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PotatoChip .
msg tools
I appreciate all the responses. Sounds like it is worth checking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
JK777 wrote:
William Keller wrote:

+1

+1, the final missions and great presentation really sell the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PotatoChip .
msg tools
So it arrived yesterday, I got everything sleeved up, played a couple games.... and got wrecked HARD. I mean, only one of my games I didn't reach the hive lord/location 4, but it was pretty much good game by the time I did each game. I did get to pull a sweet move and blew up 16 nids with a promethium tank during the Trygon fight, but still ended up failing.

I finally managed to beat it today though, putting me at 5 L 1 W with this expansion. Void Lock => Dark Catacombs => Hibernation Cluster => Hive Tyrant, so a very thematic game. My one complaint is that the hive tyrant battle is a little boring if you manage to smash the tower in the bottom right of the formation, since aside from a very low risk corridor, everything spawns in the top left and can really be easily contained by the "pros" of each squad.

The new monsters are fun to deal with, although Rippers seem quite weak compared to the others unless I'm misunderstanding their ability (if you change facing but don't actually move, they don't get to flank correct?) Still, feels like a very good purchase, should let me get many more games out of Death Angel as I try to acclimate to the difficulty of these new baddies and refine my tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem I have with the new expansions is that the cards don't smell as nice as the original ones. This might sound weird but the original cards smelled of a freshly printed book while the expansion ones smell of melting plastic shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
silverrobert wrote:
The only problem I have with the new expansions is that the cards don't smell as nice as the original ones.

There are few things as wonderful as the smell of new gaming cards. That was always half the fun of opening a new pack of Magic cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.