Subject: News channel 68 report: a murderer loose in Commonville?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I picked up a 5 pack of city themed hot wheels cars as I needed a fire truck to go With my copy of flashpoint: fire rescue. It also came with a purple news channel 68 van (69 probably was a bad choice) and I had an idea/mechanic for police precinct that I came up with...

In terms of the 'common man' (heh) everyday citizens, all they see are police cars on patrol and the occasional arrest of street punks-nothing out of the ordinary in the town of Commonville... but what if there WERE something more sinister going on? Maybe a murder had taken place? Maybe he's STILL at large?! ??

My variant idea involves the media, rather a news crew also patrolling the streets but for a different purpose--to uncover the truth and broadcast it to the people. Why should the public be the last to know of this potential atrocity? (Mainly to get ratings for a troublesome network, and because news channel 68 hasn't had the best relationship in the past with the CPD- they are looking to redeem themselves when in actuality, they only make things worse- by leaking private information about the case)

With that said- What if there was a card in the emergency deck that had you dealing with those pesky reporters who leaked vital info about the case without the polices consent? I think something along the lines of a news van chit (or hot wheels car if you'd like) that gets placed on the board and is moved at the start of the first players turn (along with the turn track) to a rolled block number. Should police be in that block they immediately have to discard a police card from their hand or, if its in a block with an investigation deck---they can't reveal/look at any cards in that deck as they don't want the media to get wind of the insider knowledge..ultimately screwing them over (from the chiefs standpoint)

Eh?! (:

Has this already been suggested by others? Suggestions? I'm really anxious to try it on my end....pic of the hot wheels van that inspired me coming soon!

Like...now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jeff!

This is a fun concept for sure!

I created a link to this thread from our "Brain-Storming" page on our website.

This sort of idea really gets the creative juices flowing. I can't stop thinking of different mechanics for this.

Please let us all know how the testing on this goes.

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

PS - Thanks for all the great contributions you have made to CMG, and especially with regard to Police Precinct. Most of this has happened quietly and behind the scenes. The community owes you a great debt of gratitude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of a card, how about this:

For setup, place the news van on the space of the first emergency card drawn.

At the end of every player's turn, before drawing an emergency card, if the news van is not on an emergency, move it two spaces towards the nearest emergency. If two emergencies are equidistant, that player chooses which to move it to.

Any actions performed in the space with the news van are at -1 (so one less card drawn, or die rolled), due to their interference. When an emergency is handled in the space with the news van, you gain a donut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brzozowski
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an option. I'll have to play test both and see which I prefer. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 of 8
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I love both variants. Really fun randomizer that is thematic and fun for everyone.

It will be added to my games from now on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls