11 Posts

Legendary: Dark City» Forums » Variants

Subject: Mastermind: Fabian Cortez and his Acolytes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casert Arien
Canada
flag msg tools
After intense testing and lack of good images. Here is what I came up with for the Acolytes.

Enjoy.

2x

2x

2x

1x

1x

Here's a first kick at the can for this group. Was rereading the 91 series X-Men and thought this would be a first go at it. Feedback is appreciated (keep it civil).

My objective is to have at least 6 different Villains as part of the group and to make and print them out.

/ = damage

Fabian Cortez (7/)
Master Strike: Place the Master Strike on Fabian Cortez. Acolytes gain +1 / for each Masterstrike placed on Fabian Cortez.
Fabian Cortez wins if 4 different Acolytes escape the city.

Filthy Flatscans (Tactic 1): Each player reveals and X-Men or KO’s all their bystanders

Now Strike (Tactic 2): Reveal the top 3 cards of the Villain Deck. Play the first Acolyte revealed if any. Place the remaining card on the bottom of the Villain Deck.

The Chosen One (Tactic 3): Select the highest costing hero and place him in the sewer as an Acolyte Villain. With / = *. Once defeated, the hero is recruited in the discard pile.

Recruiting Campaign (Tactic 4): All heroes of 2 o currently in the HQ are shuffled into the Villain deck as Acolyte Villains

Exodus – Acolytes (6/)
+1/ if Mastermind is Magneto
Must have stealth to attack
Escape: The Mastermind gains +1/. Or Exodus acts as a Masterstrike that takes effect immediately.

Tempo – Acolytes (3/)
Tempo moves an extra space. Should that city space be occupied, switch Tempo with the other villain.

Senyaka – Acolytes (4/)
You must discard a hero to defeat Senyaka

Amelia Voght (3/)
Select 1 defeated hero card of your choice and place it on top of the hero pile.

Random (4/)
Ambush: All players discard a card at Random.

Delgado (5/)
Fight: Every player reveals a strength or gains a wound

Rusty and Skids (3/)
Fight: Rusty and Skids are placed as a hero in your Discard Pile.

Scanner (3/)
May not be attacked by a stealth card

Uniscione (3/)
Must have strength to attack.

Cargill (5/)
Fight: Cargill is placed as a hero in your Discard Pile.

Gargouille (4/)
If a hero card is removed from the HQ it is not replaced until Gargouille is KO’d or escapes the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jman P
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'm a huge Magneto fan, and have always enjoyed his Acolytes. So I was really excited to see this!!

These look great. The only problem I have is that they seem too easy. Fabian's Master Strike doesn't effect him, only his minions. A 7 Fight is going to be taken out very quickly. Maybe He could have a permanent/global effect that would give him +1 for each Acolyte in the city or something. Regardless I think he should be 7+ fight like Stryfe.

Most of the Acolytes are 3 fights, Maybe just a little more difficulty.

Other than that - these look great, and I would love to play them. I like that Exodus gets +1 if Magneto is around!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the basic idea but it has issues.

Generally villians are 2 groups of 4, 8 total. You have ten listed. You say you would like to use 6 of your ten. Would those be six individuals or would you double them up? (12 cards in your group)

Fabian seems really weak in larger games, since his bonus only applies to acolytes, and with more players you will see them much less often. 7 power isn't going to keep him around long either.

Recruiting campaign has issues with schemes that already put heroes in the villain deck. (Shapeshifter invasion etc) How do you know if you are drawing a acolyte or skrull out of the deck? Also, if it only works on heroes that cost 2 there aren't many heroes it could reliably hit.

Exodus is a mess. +1 if your villain is magneto is something that will rarely come up or matter. Also how do you decide whether to buff the boss or become a master strike?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casert Arien
Canada
flag msg tools
teamcyclops wrote:
I'm a huge Magneto fan, and have always enjoyed his Acolytes. So I was really excited to see this!!

teamcyclops wrote:
These look great. The only problem I have is that they seem too easy. Fabian's Master Strike doesn't effect him, only his minions. A 7 Fight is going to be taken out very quickly. Maybe He could have a permanent/global effect that would give him +1 for each Acolyte in the city or something. Regardless I think he should be 7+ fight like Stryfe.

Hmmm that's a pretty sweet idea. Thematically and play wise would be amusing/challenging. The more Acolytes running around the city the more powerful he becomes. I could make the Masterstrike something like "Place the master strike on Cortez then select the lowest costing hero of the HQ and place him in the sewers" I.e. he's influenced a meta human to join him in his fight versus the flatscans.

Cortez is +1 / for every Acolyte in the city.

teamcyclops wrote:
Most of the Acolytes are 3 fights, Maybe just a little more difficulty.

I don't want to use all of them probably only 6 different characters. This is more of a petition on which characters people would think would be more "appropriate".

The reason why I didn't want them too high either is because of the bonus Cortez grants them. But they shouldn't all be 3's either.

teamcyclops wrote:
Other than that - these look great, and I would love to play them. I like that Exodus gets +1 if Magneto is around!

Yeah Exodus was a devout follower and very powerful in his own right. Hard to make him threatening... Hmm what if... Ambush: Acts as a Masterstrike that is played immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casert Arien
Canada
flag msg tools
therealtheshader wrote:
I like the basic idea but it has issues.

That's why I'm soliciting feedback so ideas can get bounced around.

therealtheshader wrote:
Generally villians are 2 groups of 4, 8 total. You have ten listed. You say you would like to use 6 of your ten. Would those be six individuals or would you double them up? (12 cards in your group)

therealtheshader wrote:
Generally but not all. Hydra and Asguardians for instance. I'm looking at 8 total with some duplication. Exodus being unique.

Fabian seems really weak in larger games, since his bonus only applies to acolytes, and with more players you will see them much less often. 7 power isn't going to keep him around long either.

I think this JMAN has found a nice way to address this.

therealtheshader wrote:
Recruiting campaign has issues with schemes that already put heroes in the villain deck. (Shapeshifter invasion etc) How do you know if you are drawing a acolyte or skrull out of the deck? Also, if it only works on heroes that cost 2 there aren't many heroes it could reliably hit.

By applying JMAN rules and new Masterstrike the tactic you are referring to would be removed.

therealtheshader wrote:
Exodus is a mess. +1 if your villain is magneto is something that will rarely come up or matter. Also how do you decide whether to buff the boss or become a master strike?

That's a solicitation for ppl on here. He's so powerful that I'm not sure how he should be interpreted. I did make a suggestion of:

Quote:
what if... Ambush: Acts as a Masterstrike that is played immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolo Machiavelli
United States
I am where I need to be when I need to be.
flag msg tools
“A prince must imitate the fox and the lion, for the lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves."
badge
A life, some would argue, is a series of problems. There’s no denying the truth in that – but why get lost in it? Why not rise above the truth… and lead a good life? Shouldn’t we all look at problems as a chance for us to find… solutions?
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestions, I modified Fabian Cortez some.

Fabian Cortez (7/)
Master Strike: Players reveal a member of the X-men, otherwise they must discard 1 card.

Place the Master Strike on Fabian Cortez. Acolytes gain +1 / for each Masterstrike placed on Fabian Cortez.

Fabian Cortez wins if 4 different Acolytes escape the city.

Filthy Flatscans (Tactic 1): Each player reveals an X-Men or KO’s all their bystanders.

Now Strike (Tactic 2): Reveal the top 3 cards of the Villain Deck. Play the first Acolyte revealed if any. Place the remaining cards on the bottom of the Villain Deck.

The Chosen One (Tactic 3): Select the highest costing hero in the HQs. That hero counts as a masterstrike that is played immediately.

Dark Seduction (Tactic 4): KO all X-men in the HQ's.

Exodus – Acolytes (6/)
+1/ if Mastermind is Magneto
Must reveal a member of the X-men to attack
Escape: Exodus acts as a Masterstrike that takes effect immediately.

Tempo – Acolytes (4/)
Ambush: Tempo moves an extra space. Should that city space be occupied, switch Tempo with the other villain.

Senyaka – Acolytes (4/)
You must discard a hero to defeat Senyaka

Amelia Voght (3/)
Must have covert to attack.

Random (4/)
Ambush: All players discard a card at Random.
Escape: Discard the top card of the Hero deck

Delgado (5/)
Fight: Every player reveals a strength or gains a wound.

Rusty and Skids (4/)
Fight: Rusty and Skids are placed as a hero in your Discard Pile.
They count as cost 4, versatile 2 hero.

Scanner (3/)
May not be attacked by a covert card
Fight: look at the top card of your draw deck. You may discard it if you wish.

Uniscione (4/)
Must have strength to attack.

Anne-Marie Cortez (3/)
Fight: Draw and play two cards from the villain deck.

Nance Winters (3/)
Ambush: Players must reveal an instincts card or discard all shield team members from their hand.
Fight: Gain a shield officer.

For the Acolytes, I would personally recommend only selecting four of them and printing two cards of each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casert Arien
Canada
flag msg tools
updated with images

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Dynamo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How's this for your Fabian Cortez Mastermind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens to the Sewers Villain if Tempo moves everyone back? He goes to the top of the Villain deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casert Arien
Canada
flag msg tools
She switches with the person who's on her city spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have tactics to post for the master mind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.