A Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Declaring attackers first question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Navarro
United States
California
flag msg tools
I am fairly new to the game so please excuse me if this is a redundant question, but I came on a situation where the opponent had multiple characters and I had multiple characters, the time came for the challenge phase and I declared multiple attackers for lets say military, however because I declared X amount of attackers, the opponent knew he would lose and just declared one defender and used the other characters for other options, is that how it works? What stops anyone from just declaring one defender anytime they know they would surely lose?
Thanks for any responses

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Severs
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how it works. It's not always best to go first!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing. There's nothing at all to stop a player from declining to defend, or to only defend with 1 character to prevent the unopposed bonus. It's the biggest problem with going first in a round - you have to play cards first and then declare the first set of challenges.

There are plenty of ways to discourage that sort of strategy. One way is to simply not overwhelm your opponent so much - only declare enough attackers so that he thinks he has a chance, and then use events/abilities/other tricks to win.

You can also play with effects that trigger from large victories. There are plenty of events that can only be played when you win a challenge by 4 or 8 strength - once you've used a few of those, your opponent should get the hint and stop letting you walk around without opposition.

You can also just avoid going first. Remember that winning the initiative during the plot phase doesn't mean that you go first, it means that you get to pick who goes first. Play with a lot of high-initiative plots, and then pick the player on your left. You'll end up in the coveted last-to-challenge slot. Just be wary that some decks *like* to strike first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Navarro
United States
California
flag msg tools
Wow thank you that cleared up so much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.