Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
Do not click on it!
badge
I play with red!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm looking for a game that scales well from 3 to 6 players and is playable in around 3 hours. I'm also looking for a game with a nice theme and not so euroish. With this in mind Eclipse and StarCraft are coming to my mind. So, what do you think which games fits best and what game do you prefer. I have played Eclipse once with only two players and was not overwhelmed. But on the other hand I'm not a fan of StarCraft and the game is a little expensive. Any thought are recommend also new recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hutchinson
New Zealand
Waitakere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both very different types of games.

I prefer Starcraft but do not get much opportunity these days to play it.

Starcraft scales well, would play in your time frame once everyone knows the game - BUT there is a bit of an investment in time for newbies to learn and get the hang of Starcraft, more so than with Eclipse I think.

Starcraft is a fast paced high conflict game, whereas there are a number of ways to win in Eclipse without being all out conflict.

Personally, I prefer Starcraft, but do not get much opportunity to play it these days - you are more likely to find players for Eclipse now than Starcraft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muhammad Azwan Dahlan
Malaysia
Kepala Batas
Penang
flag msg tools
badge
Wahatever you do... DON'T... FALL... ASLEEP...
mbmbmbmbmb
I never play Starcraft, but Eclipse is good with 4! I like it a lot and so do my friends. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Starcraft is a very good game that just falls from being epic. There is some randomness in the initial setup that I'm not really a fan of. There is also some randomness in the event cards, which can also flat out determine the winner of the game if the scores are close. If you don't mind losing a 3-6+ hour game even if you played really well simply because due to a card draw, then it might not be so bad. I also don't think Starcraft plays that quick. Eclipse plays just as fast if not quicker. Certainly Eclipse plays faster with its expansion.

Other games worth looking at:
Space Empires: 4X
Hegemonic
Exodus: Proxima Centauri
Empires of the Void

Granted they each have their own issues, but they will be less euro than Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
I think Starcraft is a very good game that just falls from being epic. There is some randomness in the initial setup that I'm not really a fan of. There is also some randomness in the event cards, which can also flat out determine the winner of the game if the scores are close. If you don't mind losing a 3-6+ hour game even if you played really well simply because due to a card draw, then it might not be so bad. I also don't think Starcraft plays that quick. Eclipse plays just as fast if not quicker. Certainly Eclipse plays faster with its expansion.

Other games worth looking at:
Space Empires: 4X
Hegemonic
Exodus: Proxima Centauri
Empires of the Void

Granted they each have their own issues, but they will be less euro than Eclipse.
Would Merchant of Venus (second edition) fit in your list?

(And possibly the recently hyped Xia: Legends of a Drift System, though I don't really think it's comparable.)

As for the first post my reply would had been "no?" though maybe the idea was to give other ideas. No because he don't seem to have been impressed with Eclipse and claim to not really like Starcraft (the computer game or the board game? I assume they are quite different.)
Anyway as such I find it hard to suggest not getting either if that's how you feel. Maybe way for what feels like a good game for your need.

Also I guess not all of them have to be space related.

I don't know how it's with say railways of the world and such game but maybe some other game and style fit better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Empires of the Void

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axel
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
Do not click on it!
badge
I play with red!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of the computergame so this aspect would not appeal to me. I find the franchise interesting but nothing more. I would like to know if the game is good besides the whole StarCraft-thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say avoid both of these. Eclipse is straight up pure Euro, so if you are looking for 'not very euroish' you are going in 100% the wrong direction. Starcraft, as someone said above, is a very pretty game that can be won during setup. That ruined it for me in a heartbeat. I don't want a 6 player epic game that I end up having to sit through rather than playing to win.

Obviously in the space theme Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) will come up, but you need a dedicated group to get playtime down to 3 hours. It is possible, but until people learn the rules playtime will be almost double that(for a 6 player game)

Empires of the Void might be more what you are looking for if space theme is for you. If you're not too hung up on space theme you might want to try Runewars it has lots of combative goodness and theme married to awesome components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Both are great!!! I think Starcraft is a really good game!!! Like it a lot! Lot of nice miniatures!!! The only thing is combat seems really odd at first... you really need to open your mind to the combat system and understand that it has deckbuilding in it! And you need to be prepare for it!!! If you do so you will come to really like it, if not blehhhh

It's a little bit the same thing for eclipse though, because with shipbuilding, in the games I've played (own the game and have played 6-7times) someone always get CRUSHED and the other player wins easily!! Eclipse I think is REALLY HARD! I mean after 6-7 plays we still have combat where someone gets no kill even with 4-5 ships in his army agaisnt 4-5 other ship! Its probably us the problem, but still experienced gamers, with 6-7 plays still having this problem is huge! There IS SO MUCH TECHNOLOGY you can upgrade your ship with, and some are so powerfull (Plasma Missile is the worst). There are threads about this one here on bgg but still for us it has lead to serious problems in our game :

You come to a big battle everyone has been waiting for and then, the loser don't even land a hit with is big army...

Get Both : Maybe Starcraft First (with Brood War expension ;)) play enough (10-15 games) until you really KNOW the game and feel for a change than get Eclipse and do the same, and then intercut them!

Edit : Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition is one of the best game eva!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ar147 wrote:
I'm not a fan of the computergame so this aspect would not appeal to me. I find the franchise interesting but nothing more. I would like to know if the game is good besides the whole StarCraft-thing?

I suck at RTS games so I have never played the PC version. I think it stands on its own even if you haven't played the PC version. If you had played the PC version, you get a quicker understanding of the races and leaders and some help with the background in the story. Combat, deck building, resource management, etc. are all rather solid for me. Like I said, there's some randomness I would have liked to miss out on but that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
Would Merchant of Venus (second edition) fit in your list?

(And possibly the recently hyped Xia: Legends of a Drift System, though I don't really think it's comparable.)

I think MoV is more of a economic pick up and deliver game. I get the vibe the OP wants something more on the combative side. I don't know enough about Xia to say. Xia is on a smaller scale than Starcraft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ar147 wrote:
I would like to know if the game is good besides the whole StarCraft-thing?

Yes, definitely. The theme is well integrated but the game has much more to offer than just the theme. Licensed games didn't always have the best reputation (for a good reason) but FFG mostly does a very good job at it. For me the only big downside of this one is the price tag now that it's OOP for some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.