4 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Overlord Relics clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
DJ DJ
msg tools
Hello,

I re-read the rules and it turned out I was playing wrong with Overlord's Relics.

Rules wrote:

The overlord version of a relic may be wielded by any lieutenant, and this is the only way the relic's abilities can be used by the overlord. (...)
Each lieutenant can only wield only one relic.
If a lieutenant wielding a relic is defeated during a quest, the abilities of that relic are ignored for the remainder of the quest but the overlord keeps the relic.

So I guess it measn I can only use Bones of Woe if I have a lieutenant on the map. It also means that when I have 2 relics I can't use them except in Finale??

Anyway I have a lot of doubts with the last part of the rules.

1) If Lieutenant is killed in Encounter 1 during the quest, but returns in Encounter 2, does he return with relic or without?
2) If Lieutenant is defeated but returns (like Interlude: Shadow Vault) do you still get to use the relic or the boss returns without relic?
3) If Lieutenant card is present but the Lieutenant is not on the map, can he wield relic? (For example: Encounter 1 of Enduring the Elements)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Releesha wrote:
I guess it measn I can only use Bones of Woe if I have a lieutenant on the map.
You can use any 1 relic if you have 1 lieutenant in the quest.

Releesha wrote:
It also means that when I have 2 relics I can't use them except in Finale??
You can use 2 relics if you have 2 liutenats.

Releesha wrote:
If Lieutenant is killed in Encounter 1 during the quest, but returns in Encounter 2, does he return with relic or without?
By the rules as written you cannot use relic until the end of the quest.

Releesha wrote:
If Lieutenant is defeated but returns (like Interlude: Shadow Vault) do you still get to use the relic or the boss returns without relic?
As written. Lieutenant was defeated so you cannot use relic in that quest any more.

Releesha wrote:
If Lieutenant card is present but the Lieutenant is not on the map, can he wield relic? (For example: Encounter 1 of Enduring the Elements)
Yes. If lieutenant is specified in Monsters section of quest description then he can wield relic (even though by Special Rules of the quest it is not present on the map).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Zervakis
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To say the truth, I had forgotten that part of rules during our campaign. As a result, I've been constantly using Bones of Woe... Poor heroes.

The excerpt of interest is on page 22 of the rulebook:
Quote:
During the setup step of each quest*, the overlord chooses which relic (if any) each of his lieutenants wields during the quest. Place the chosen Relic card next to the Lieutenant card. If the relic is not wielded by a lieutenant, the overlord keeps the card near his Overlord deck and its abilities are ignored during this quest. If a lieutenant wielding a relic is defeated during a quest, the abilities of that relic are ignored for the remainder of the quest** but the overlord keeps the relic.
*: Is it really "quest" and not encounter?
**: If it is indeed "quest" and a lieutenant appears on both encounters, defeating him/her at first encounter is much more rewarding in the long run for the heroes, eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, my group house-ruled that nonsense. OL already has very little power gain from relics, to allow the heroes to negate it with an encounter 1 lieutenant kill is just silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.