17 Posts

Abstract Games» Forums » General

Subject: Games with few choices pr turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone lnow some (good) games which have relatively few choices pr turn. What I mean is that for each move there is only quite few different ones you can do. A game where each turn is a binary choice would be ideal. I think I saw a mancala variant withthis property from christian freeling perhaps? However, I would like that the game is still very hard to solve (the mancala variant seems a little tou for mans to solve)

Dodgem comes to mind in the small version version with 2 cars.

It does seem to imply that thegame shuld have some length to it to not easily be bruteforced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Sounds like Mancala to me. An average turn has around 6 possible moves. A bit more because you can often get two turns in a row, so you have to think of combinations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
Does anyone know some (good) games which have relatively few choices pr turn. What I mean is that for each move there is only quite few different ones you can do. A game where each turn is a binary choice would be ideal. I think I saw a mancala variant withthis property from christian freeling perhaps? However, I would like that the game is still very hard to solve (the mancala variant seems a little tou for mans to solve).
Minimancala has at most a choice between two moves, but it was designed intentionally to show a complete tree and illustrate that the status of every node is completely determined by working backwards from the leaves. Being solved makes it indeed 'hard to solve' now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamisado is a good choice. On each turn the piece to move is already designated, and the only decision is "how far".

No Thanks! and Mogul reduce most turns to the choice of pay a chip or quit.

Biblios has a very simple decision structure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not binary, but Qyshinsu's decision tree is relatively narrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caravaneers is one of my current favorites. You'll normally have just a small number of moves to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
autoplectic wrote:
Not binary, but Qyshinsu's decision tree is relatively narrow.

I can't believe you beat Avri to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Christian, is the game easy to play optimal for humans? Ie willan expirienced abstract player play to optimality with few considerations or will he need a lot of trial and error?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
Christian, is the game easy to play optimal for humans? Ie willan expirienced abstract player play to optimality with few considerations or will he need a lot of trial and error?
It's easy to find out because you can set the applet to choose the moves randomly at "never/occasionally/always". I know it by heart, so I can't really tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bennett Gardiner
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
Kamisado is the best game I've played that fits the bill. Pylos is another one with very few options each move (approx 1-10 possible moves each turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Pylos and various Shibumi games come to my mind as well.

Also Tic Tac Doh! & Synapse-Ice.

There are probably some "artificial" games like this (few options per turn but hard to solve) in Winning Ways for Your Mathematical Plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe those games atually seem pretty organic to me.
An artificial game woud be something like, players take turns adding a 0 or a 1 to a bitstring. The winner is the one that adds a digit such that if you interpret it as a turing machine (with some given interpretation agreed upon beforehand) it never halts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
Hehe those games atually seem pretty organic to me.
An artificial game woud be something like, players take turns adding a 0 or a 1 to a bitstring. The winner is the one that adds a digit such that if you interpret it as a turing machine (with some given interpretation agreed upon beforehand) it never halts.

I like your Turing machine idea. That's indeed far more artificial.

I was also imagining such highly mathematical geeky games, e.g. players add a character to a string until the MD5 hash of the string ends with the hexadecimal digit 0, or some such nonsense, but figured it was too silly to mention, until you mentioned the Turing machine idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haha sorry but I guess my game would be baqd since you generally want games to be decidable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reymann
United States
Barberton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd." Voltaire
badge
Crafty Shaman Impersonator
mbmbmbmbmb
Though it includes luck, the dice game Pig and its variants give you only two choices each move: to stop, or keep rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats true. I guess it is kind of the idea behond push your luck games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
Thats true. I guess it is kind of the idea behond push your luck games.

However they typically also include additional decisions (e.g. which way to pair your dice in Can't Stop, which number to set aside in Pickomino, etc.) besides the core decision of "keep going or stop"....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.