Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rogue Marechal
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a variant I have thought of trying, in case anyone wants to give it a go with their group.

In the Fall, instead of drawing random cards, give the last player in turn order a number of summer visitor cards equal to the number of players as well as that same number of winter visitor cards.

That player then chooses one card of the type of his choice to add to his hand and discards a card of the other type at random. He then passes the remaining cards to the next player in reverse wake-up chart turn order.

The Cottages still work as before and the extra cards must be drawn (at random, from whichever visitor pile the player chooses) before the drafting.

Needless to say that this variant can add a LOT of play time if players are not seasoned Viticulture players or are prone to AP, but I think it can be an interesting way to make both Spring and Fall of every year as much a strategic phase of the game as the other 2.

Anyway, feel free to comment... and as usual I will state that when I post a variant it is NOT because I think there is a problem with the game in the first place, I just like to try different ways to play my games and hopefully find something useful that may suit better a group I introduce games to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I like that! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that idea. I might be inclined to have a set number of visitors out as in 6 players that's 12 cards to look through.

I wonder how things would go if each player picked summer/winter as usual, but that card just goes into the draft. So you only have to look at up to 6 cards. Taking the other seasons card would lead to strategic blocking, though if that's good or bad is up to you ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Marechal
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I would be wary of using that variant with 5-6 players, unless I knew how each player behaves when faced with a potentially high number of decisions and am confident that would not make the game drag out in length to the point of anyone wanting to take out their life (or that of another player) half way through... I think it is more appropriate with up to 4 players.

I thought about letting people choose a pile to build the drafting pool, and add one of each to that, for a smaller pool of cards yet still larger than the number of players, but ultimately I think it would be a meaningless decision during most of the game and would make the last turn a potentially painful exercise as players in the lead try to minimise Winter cards and the other weigh what is best at that point (based on the cards they already have in their hand at the start of the year).

If you do try my or another drafting method in the Fall though, please let me know how that worked for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.