Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://zmangames.com/nouvelles-details.php?id=320

Quote:

The next new challenge that you can face in the new In The Lab is the Team Game. This game can be played with 4 or 6 players divided into 2 or 3 teams respectively. Both teams will try to save the world together, but they will each have their own idea of what’s best…

In this team game, new aspects of the game come into play:

- New research stations: Each research station has symbols for the different teams. A rival team will not be able to use one of your research stations; they will only be useful for your team.

- Award markers: There are now awards in the team game of Pandemic, some which give you points at the end of the game, for curing diseases and for eradicating them. Others help you keep track of your teams’ progress in the game.

- Goal cards: they will show you what will give you the most points in the game. Let’s give a few examples of what you can find on the Goal cards. Card #1 gives you 6 additional points for the first cure found; 3 points for any other cure found; 6 additional points for the first eradication; and 3 points for any other eradication. Card #2 give you 4 points for each cure found; 2 points for each eradication, and 1 point for each 5 cards left in the Player Deck at the end of the game. Card #3 gives you 4 points for each cure found; 1 point per eradication; and 1 point for each space left on the Outbreak marker.

-Bonus cards: There are as many Bonus cards as the number of Epidemic cards shuffled in the deck. These cards have a double use in the game. They can be used for their effect OR kept in hand until the end of the game for their point value. As you can see with the examples of cards below, sometimes the choice will be very hard to make…use the card to help for a cure, or to fly to another city, or keep it for later?

- Actions and cards: You still each have a role card, and each have your own set of Player cards, but you have joint actions. You can choose to split your actions as follows: 2-4; 3-3; or 4-2. The actions cannot be split 5-1; 1-5; 6-0; or 0-6. At the end of the 6 actions, each player in the team draws one card and adds it to their individual hand.

- Share knowledge: Sharing cards between team members follows the same rules as usual. However, to share a card with an opposing team, this requires two actions.

OK so how do we win?

The game ends with one of these three situations: you lose the game (as in the normal Pandemic rules); you win by discovering all 4 cures; you win by discovering 3 cures and eradication all 3.

Then, teams count their points. You count the points written on Award Tokens; Goal Cards; and Bonus cards still in hand. The team with the most point is the ultimate savior of the planet!

My first thought is that all of this is AWESOME. My second thought is that the first goal card is WAY stronger than the other two. These designers' balancing is legendary, so I think I'm missing perspective on how different the gameplay will be, but man that 1st card seems so much stronger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Here's the scoop on the In The Lab TEAM GAME!
Ah, the info at the bottom cleared a lot up for me. Bonuses, shared actions, 3c+3e for a win; all of these are big changes that make those GOAL cards more even than at first blush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, I posted the new pics that explain all this, but BGG denied them all (though they approved all previous?). Please make sure to follow the link above so you can see all the new stuff and get context for the descriptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I think some of the rewards will play very oddly though. Eradication for example will be extremely prone to sniping. One team could cure and mostly clear the board of a color but then the other team could snipe the last cube and get the points? That seems a bit unfair.

I'm not sure I dig the rewards either. I mean... it's pandemic. Your goal is to cure disease and not lose the game regardless. It seems odd that just because you drew x card that you get more points than the other team for doing what you need to do anyway. Other rewards are just based on how well everyone did. Having extra cards left in the deck will happen if both teams play well. You can't really adjust your strategy to make it happen quicker. You're always trying to do it as quick as possible anyway to avoid losing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, In The Lab creates a team game wherein points are the ultimate goal. It looks like they maintain that everyone loses if one of the win conditions isn't met, but the way it states that points are tallied after...
Quote:
The game ends with one of these three situations: you lose the game (as in the normal Pandemic rules); you win by discovering all 4 cures; you win by discovering 3 cures and eradication all 3.

Then, teams count their points.

...leaves it a little ambiguous whether a team can win by having the highest total after all competing teams "lose". I'm sure Tom will pop in here to clarify and I'm sure the rules manual will be clear, too.

Either way, I KNOW my group is going to LOVE the team game. LOVE. I just hope I'll be able to get them to play regular Pandemic and all the other versions that the base and expansions allow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really interested in a team game. Pandemic is a co-op and I like it that way. Besides we almost always play 2-player.

I wasn't interested in the bioterrorist from On The Brink either. That part of the expansion was ignored for me and I suspect this competitive team game will be as well.

But as long as there is enough other pure co-op stuff, I'll get it. The Lab challenge seems great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilherme xD
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1x1 each player with 2/3 pawns cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xen911 wrote:
Guys, I posted the new pics that explain all this, but BGG denied them all (though they approved all previous?). Please make sure to follow the link above so you can see all the new stuff and get context for the descriptions.

Upload them to your own gallery, as opposed to the game's gallery. Then insert geek image from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thewagon wrote:
xen911 wrote:

Upload them to your own gallery, as opposed to the game's gallery. Then insert geek image from there.

hmm I didn't understand that last bit, but I'll go figure it out. (very new to bgg) Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xen911 wrote:
thewagon wrote:
xen911 wrote:

hmm I didn't understand that last bit, but I'll go figure it out. (very new to bgg) Thanks!!

Oh, I see. You meant for embedding. I wasn't worried about that. I just know I always want to see every image released for an upcoming game, so I've been adding everything to the main gallery, but these last eight images they denied.

Checking from my own gallery:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.