Popular Tags: [View All]
Glaya B
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was intrigued by the game play video and ordered a copy of the beta deck, which arrived yesterday. I started playing a game, but I ran into a question that I was hoping to have answered before I went on further.

The first event card that I drew was Curious Song, which directs me to reveal a back row Shadow Caves encounter and then choose specific encounters to keep me on a path toward that encounter.

The second event card that I drew was Demented Guide, which tells me to enter encounters at random rather than choosing.

My question is, what do I do when the text of the event cards contradicts in this fashion? One card tells me to choose specific encounters, the other tells me to pick the encounters at random. Does the first card drawn take precedence over any others drawn later? Or does the most recent card drawn replace earlier instructions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wilson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Events that instruct you to enter particular Encounters are the ones I've had most problems with due to the issues you raised.

However, the Demented Guide I phrased in such a way to try to avoid the problem. It says to enter at random rather than by choosing, but Curious Song takes away your ability to choose, so the Guide doesn't apply.

This is the philosophy I've had when dealing with similar situations: Some say you "must" enter a particular Encounter, and others mention "if you would choose" or similar wordings. The cards that say "must" take precedence over "if you would choose." However, if more than one thing says you "must" do different things, you choose.

I'm not totally sure I've caught everything in terms of applying this philosophy to the wordings on every card, so if you have any questions or would like to point something out, please let me know!

Unfortunately, DriveThruCards is having some problems with my print file, so I'm working on resolving them while also making the game available through TheGameCrafter, which should be up within a week or so. Anyway, thanks for ordering, and I hope you have fun!

~ Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.